Synthesizer Training Software

Hey all,br
br
I just picked up a piece of synth training software called Syntorial. I would highly recommend checking it out (at least the demo):br
br
http://www.syntorial.combr
br
I am pretty familiar with synths. However, this software gave me a MUCH better understanding with its interactive training design. It’s VERY expensive, but there is A LOT to cover. While I would’ve like to see it priced more in the $50-$60 range, I do think this is a real DEEP piece of software. At least the demo gives you a GREAT idea whether you want to shell out the cash for it.br
br
Cheers.br
br
Matt Busch

Thanks for the link. I have downloaded the demo and i already think this is a great learning tool. I will just have to wait till next month to buy the full version.br
br
Cheersbr
Paul

Gave this a go last night, and while the demo stuff is simplistic, I can see how this would go on to be a great way of learning complex synthesis.

cool thing here! i will probably end up getting this thing!!br
br
thanks for the link!!

Looks interesting, I’ll DL the trial later and see what its all about, thanks for this.

Well I had a go of the trial and liked it so much I decided to shell out for the full version.br
br
5 nights in and it’s now got me recreating patches by determining the right amount of delay time, spread, feedback, amount, attack, release, cutoff, env amount, correct waveform, pitch and mix amount, just by listening to the sound of it. :w00t:br
br
It’s fair to say my head is battered, but I’m finding it very useful and I’m only on challenge 32 of 140 odd so LOTS more learning to be done!br
br
I’d defo recommend it to anyone wanting to step away from presets! :cool:

Just downloading now… what an innovating way to learn synthesis.br
br
en1gma - Was it worth shelling out for the full version, rest of lessons?

[quote]closey1200 (07/04/2014)[hr]Just downloading now… what an innovating way to learn synthesis.br
br
en1gma - Was it worth shelling out for the full version, rest of lessons?[/quote]br
br
Yeah I’d definitely say its worth the money. I’m only up to lesson 39 out of 199 and I’m finding it really hard to recreate some of the patches that its playing to me. br
br
But that’s a good thing, cause its making me concentrate on things a LOT more. Stuff I’d never given a second thought to, like how much delay is being applied and how long does it feedback for?br
br
Like I said before, if you wanna get a decent grasp of synthesis so you can create your own unique sounds, rather than reaching for the presets then this is for you!

I bought this as well, it does start to get pretty tricky when you’re having to set 15 or so parameters to replicate a sound. God knows what lesson 199 is like…br
br
Really good way to learn though. I reckon if I see it through to the end I’ll be seriously good at synthesis.

It is an expensive app. It is not to be taken lightly. That’s why I recommend people using the trial version first.br
br
While the first few lessons/challenges in the trial are basic, it gets more and more involved as it goes on. I found it very helpful the further along I got. I thought I was pretty good at synthesis until I got about 1/3rd the way through.br
br
I definitely feel I’ve benefitted more from this than any other means of learning (book, magazine, etc.).br
br
It’s funny how the first few challenges take you 30 seconds to a minute to figure out but the later challenges (when setting 15 or so parameters) can take 3-5 minutes. Crazy. It really tests your ear. There is so much ground to cover.

Yeah I totally agree. I’m up to lesson 70 at the moment and its gone into more depth about sub oscillators and getting you to recreate sounds using about 15-20 parameters.br
br
It’ll be a while before I can create my own unique patches but my ears are definitely a lot more tuned in when listening to other people’s music now because of this program and I can tell how they’ve been made.br
br
I feel like Neo, after he discovers he can see the Matrix! :w00t: