Synths Help Please

Hi guys, as you can see im a noob :smiley: im currently a Cubase 5 user and i own quite a few synths such as: Alchemy, Korg pack, Rapture, Albino 3, Sylenth, and so on and so on :smiley: im preety sure there are some tutorials on here about Sylenth but i havent gotten to watch any of the tutorials due to School being in the way what my question is what do all the knobs in the synths mean such as oscillators, LFO, and so on and what functions do they serve if you guys can tell me or redirect me to one of the tutorials on here please do so :smiley:

Thank you and have a nice day!:wink:

You sure own a lot of synths for not knowing how to operate them!!! I would start by looking at the intro to synthesis in the Mark Knight tutorial (I think it’s called Tech House Tutorial) It will explain the basic functions of the oscillators and LFO’s and whatnot. I would also recommend not purchasing anything else until you learn how to use what you’ve got. Every one of those synths that you listed do things in a different way even though the buttons and knobs seem the same. You’ll find almost immediately that making the same preset on two different synths will still sound completely different. With that being said, whatever synths you find too difficult to use, you can just send me the licenses! :smiley: Google synthesis and read for days too… Good Luck!

Raymond

I meant to say im a noob to the site :smiley: yeah i do own alot of synths! but thats because my friend who owns a studio gave them to me! Im preety good at tweaking them around and making some amazing sounds i just want to know stuff like using LFO 1 to Adjust Pitch and stuff like that but either way i just started just dont have the knowledge to start making music but thanks ill watch that vid!

Yes found some good synthesis articles gonna read them :smiley: Thanks

well i will let u know man that i use cubase 5 and seems that the synths that come with it are ery capable of doing any kind of sound . if you have many synth  try to master one  to the point that you can create any sound you want . there is so many synths out there but you need to focus on only one , read the manual , do research  , imitate other patches messing with your syth . and i am sure that after you have done that you will not want to use other synths or tools . also thats why many producer get their sounds because they focuse on tools that they can master it perfectly then they move to other with out restriction or problems . so choose your weapon and start making killer patches with your own sound and style ! :slight_smile:

if you have these synths installed you will usually get a user manual with them somewhere on your hard drive, any of the manuals will have a Synthesis Anatomy with in the manual. that should give you a basic description of what everything is and what it does.

shouldn’t matter which manual you choose to read as they will all have roughly the same info, most if not all synths will have the same basic’s (oscillators, Amp Envelope, Filter)

Thanks really good advice here :smiley:

Phil from SA made a really good sylenth video a while back.

Probably one of the best Sylenth tutorials I’ve seen.

I’d recommend you ask SA to find that tutorial and get it put back online in the tutorials section where it belongs as it serves as a good overall template on how to program Subtractive Va’s.

Obviously its Sylenth specific but I am sure once you’ve seen it most of the questions you have floating around your head about basic operations will go away.

The quicker you start watching the tutorial videos the quicker it’ll all fall into place.

is this the mark knight vid? if so its up there… i did do another sylenth one but it was just basic overview.

Phil it was the basic overview … as I remember it was more like a review but you packed enough iinto the video for it to be classified as a tutorial of sorts.

Very useful indeed.

Certainly worth putting back into the video tutorials if you can find it.:smiley:

As I said it cleared most if not all the doubt I had about Sylenth’s functionality.