Tech Tip Idea

Could you do a Snare Roll tech tip along with different types of Snare Rolls and how to get them sounding great etc.

There is a bit of knowledge on youtube but nothing on how to do it in Ableton. Anyways I can do them but i think there would not only be some good tips in there for me, but also it’s a good tip for everyone.

Either use the piano roll or arpeggiator, I dont think there much more to cover than that :slight_smile:

Automate the reverb and delay for that minimal techno break.

[quote]g-hunter (8/10/2009)[hr]Either use the piano roll or arpeggiator, I dont think there much more to cover than that :slight_smile:

Automate the reverb and delay for that minimal techno break.[/quote]

If someone could post a midi of a really good snareroll… then I’m sure Roben would find that really helpful.

I know it wont have automation… but It’ll give him a good idea of the notes / velocities & shuffle.

I’m crap at making them… otherwise I’d offer! LOL

Thats why I never use them! :smiley:

Guys this isn’t for me, it’s for the sake of the site. Since tech tips are supposed to be small short usefull tips for S.A members.

I was just saying that i’m sure even watching it there may be something that you guys do that i dont so im sure i’d pick up something from it regardless.

Thats completely cool Man, understand that its not for you. :slight_smile:

I asked what I did, as I think its a good idea to help eachother out as much as possible inbetween the tutorials. :cool:

If I find anything useful about creating snarerolls, I’ll post it up.

If you do not know how to do a snare roll your a moron. I’m joking. I Like the idea too. I can do alot of things, but these SA guys can do alot of things better. Like you said roben, maybe they will do something I’m not aware of or didn’t think of.

I notice every time someone post something about a simple procedure, people act like they know all the ins and outs of it. Instead I think people should be aware that these Sa guys can throw a twist on anything. If they couldn’t, I wouldn’t be here. Just my two cents.

SA make our snare rolls better.

Yo, it may seem like it, but this is really far from a no brainer. Making snare rolls, or any “roll” of that matter requires great skill as well as drumming technique knowledge. Have you ever tried to properly program a “flam”? If you’re wondering wtf that is, then programming a drum roll can be quite a daunting task.

My advice to all that don’t drum would be this…

Take your favorite RECORDED LIVE drum roll and capture the groove. Apply that groove to a simple roll that you’ve sequenced in the midi editor. This will obviously move the notes into a more “live” sounding arrangement. You’ll still need to mess with the velocities and whatnot to get that true live feeling. Otherwise you’re going to be left with a machine gun sound instead of a roll. I would say that the hardest part of producing music is your transitions, where 100% of your rolls come in. We all learn quickly especially in Ableton how to put together the full sections, but fail when it comes to making the sections flow together with rolls, builds, sweeps, and all that jazz. It is the most simple of tasks in producing that cause the most problems!

Raymond

[quote]samuelalbritton (8/10/2009)[hr]If you do not know how to do a snare roll your a moron. I’m joking. I Like the idea too. I can do alot of things, but these SA guys can do alot of things better. Like you said roben, maybe they will do something I’m not aware of or didn’t think of.

I notice every time someone post something about a simple procedure, people act like they know all the ins and outs of it. Instead I think people should be aware that these Sa guys can throw a twist on anything. If they couldn’t, I wouldn’t be here. Just my two cents.

SA make our snare rolls better.

Myspace.com/navajoandabrakadabra[/quote]

Nail on the head mate, basically. I’m glad you see where I’m coming from.

So what if something seems ‘simple’ on the outsite. Good mastery and pro techniques make ‘simple sounds’ sound pro.

I’ve heard some snare rolls in many tracks that sound f*cking awesome that i can’t even attempt to get close to with my snare rolls.

A good snare roll is just as important and as effective as synth and white noise raisers.

Raymondsar - Nice post mate, totally agree.

Guess I got shot down on that one ! :slight_smile:

as a complete novice this is something i deffinatly would like to see i have tried to suss it myself but failed miserably so just dont use them now:angry:

Check it out:

[url=http://www.sonicacademy.com/forum/Topic6294-10-1.aspx]http://www.sonicacademy.com/forum/Topic6294-10-1.aspx[/url]

[quote]roben (8/11/2009)[hr]Check it out:

[url=http://www.sonicacademy.com/forum/Topic6294-10-1.aspx]http://www.sonicacademy.com/forum/Topic6294-10-1.aspx[/url][/quote]

Is that link right Mate. Just brings you back to the Forum.

i like the idea of a snare roll tutorial but the build is what i am after, snare rolls are easy to make (midi wise) but to make them sound good is another thing.

i know about filtering and putting white noise with the rise using cymbals and doubling up the snare with a slightly different sound. panning and tremolo also work but i am yet to actually make a snare roll that works great or even feels like more that just an after thought :slight_smile:

if SA could do a video on DRUM and LFO Builds would be great

[quote]icn (8/11/2009)[hr][quote]roben (8/11/2009)[hr]Check it out:

[url=http://www.sonicacademy.com/forum/Topic6294-10-1.aspx]http://www.sonicacademy.com/forum/Topic6294-10-1.aspx[/url][/quote]

Is that link right Mate. Just brings you back to the Forum.[/quote]

Yeah takes you to a thread in the subscribers forum

I try that link & its bringing me to the main front page of the Forums… not to any particular Thread Mate.

Whats the name of the Thread? & which forum is it in?

It’s titled ‘pro tips on this’ and it’s in the Subscribers Support section :slight_smile:

[quote]roben (8/11/2009)[hr]It’s titled ‘pro tips on this’ and it’s in the Subscribers Support section :)[/quote]

I think there is something up with my rights on the w.site. I follow that link & dont see any subscriber forum. Followed a link from the Home page that was in the Forum Snapshot box that they have… and again… just like when I follow you link - I come to the main Forum list page - with 4 choices: General Discussion / HTSL / Mixes / Tech Support.

When you are logged in, do you get a 5th Forum? Is it accessed through the Forum link on the left hand list on this page, or from somewhere else?

I’m well & truly baffled now Mate!  :slight_smile:

Yeah there is 5 options in the General Information section, it’s inbetween the How to sound like and the Tunes Mixes Podcasts section.

If you’re a Sonic Subscriber and you can’t see the Subscriber Support section get in touch with admin. :slight_smile:

Will do Man - Nice one! :cool:

I notice we ask for alot of ideas or tutorials or whatever. What I’m trying to ask is how do we actually see if they will maybe do this for us in the future? Should we just email them directly or what? Any advice is appreciated.