Tech Tips - Psychology of Making Music / 1336

Psychology of Making Music

View Course

Bluffmunkey is back with us today and this time he’s not going into anything technical. Instead, he’s sharing some super important information on behaviours and best practices that will help you if you’re serious about getting into the music industry.

This is one of those videos that many seasoned producers out there will watch and say, “I wish someone told me this before I started on this journey”, so grab a drink and a comfy seat and take on board the tips included here from someone that’s been there and got the t-shirt.

Quite simply, if you’re looking to make a career in music, this is a must-watch.

Great video pal, really useful advice

I think the point about moving to finish tracks quickly is good but there is a problem you have as a beginner: with electronic/dance music it’s hard to work out how something that’s a bit rough is going to work as a finished track. Once you’re more practised you get a much better idea of how something finished might sound and how to get there. As a beginner, you want to try to match the finished product in a loop to gain enough confidence in what you’ve composed. So, it’s hard to break out of that “produce a banging loop first” mentality.

I don’t know if there’s a way to close that circle.

Some great tips and advice in this course.

Halfway through , this is some amazing information and advice! Thank you :slight_smile:

Thank you very much. great advise :slight_smile:

I like this relaxed and useful conversation we just had here. Well, it was you talking and me listening and confirming your ideas. But it was a good time spent and I kept with me some of you conclusions as well. Thank you, Bluffmunkey! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:ok_hand:t4: Excellent!!!

I think considering that this course is about ‘psychology’, it might be worth examining the idea that getting an 8 bar loop sounding good is more about your own ego (we all have an ego, it’s not a negative thing) than actual progress. Or at least partly.

You may need to just remind yourself that the overall sound is just one aspect of learning. There’s also transitions, automation, track flow, ‘the journey’, track identity and lots of other things that I personally feel are more important to the learning process that getting something sounding good, but unfinished.

Perhaps as a compromise you could tell yourself to finish one track layout (whether it ‘works’ or not) before you focus on getting one section of it sounding as good as you can get it.

Excellent Talk!

Really enjoyed watching that. Very useful advice that I really needed to hear

Great advice and expertly given.

Just what I needed to hear right now.

Enjoyed this, how we think about music and what we spend our time doing really influences our tunes and trying to use the same process as someone else is just taking away from your own creativity, that is unless your able to make those influences and turn them into your own sound

Thanks a lot, very useful for some new ideas and reinforcing others.

Really nice Tutorial. Thanks SA!!!

Really enjoyed this one! Really thinking outside the box.

Some very useful tips here mate, I was one of the guys way back when that used to hang about the Anjuna forum. Curious to know who the guy on Anjunadeep is my guess would be Ilan Bluestone? haha I’m definitely going to take your advise about connections/networking on board but also making sure to take regular exercise & getting out of the studio for breaks/fresh air.

Nice one, keep them coming.

Let’s just call him Tom :stuck_out_tongue:

Very good

So true about the networking/contacts part!