Tech Tips - Should You Use Presets? / 1545

Should You Use Presets?

View Course

Bluffmunkey’s back with a discussion that frequently crops up on forums and social media - Should you use presets? and are you ‘cheating’ if you do?

In this quick video we look at the history of preset use and how we can use them to speed up workflow and inspire our creation. Although it’s definitely worth learning how to use your synths and understanding sound design, presets will always have their place in helping you move on quickly with creating your tracks - and with literally thousands and thousands to choose from, are you really going to sound like everyone else if you use them?

Check it out and let us know what you think in the comments!

I feel the exact same way. Inspiration and something to build from.

1 Like

Same deal with samples: they are absent members of the band.

1 Like

Brilliant, helped a great deal, I think also that it’s important to modify the presets to fit the song

1 Like

Presets, stabs and chords are great for filling in drums and pads are also a desired starting block.

1 Like

There is no 100% authentic preset sound in 2023. There is tons of billions of presets out there for all kinds of synths (especially for well known mainstreams). All presets and sounds, a way or another, will get a similar sounding with someone’s preset, even if you make them from scratch.

1 Like

Very interesting! I really these shorter courses! 100% agree with everything you said. And while presets are incredibly useful and inspiring, I think it’s important to have some synthesis basics so you can tweak the presets to fit in your tracks.

1 Like

Nice!

1 Like

Welcome to the forums and thanks for your comment ! :sunglasses:

Whats the name of the song playing in the background at the beginning :sweat_smile:

What are the songs playing in the background

Can’t tell for sure, but that’s Sonic Academy own music creation I believe.