Tech Tips - Tech Tips Volume 57 with Bluffmunkey / 1166

Tech Tips Volume 57 with Bluffmunkey

View Course

Ever wanted to get into creating some Synthwave tracks but not 100% sure where to start?
Well, it’s time to hop into your chrome Lamborghini and take a cruise through a wire-frame graphic city towards a neon sunset as Bluffmunkey’s here with his Tech Tips on some Synthwave Essentials to get you up and running!

Over these 10 videos, we cover everything you need to know from the concept of what Synthwave is all about, the synths, samplers and drum machines used to get the right sounds, how to create your own sounds from scratch and using the right effects, to building your own awesome 80’s sounding tracks.

Check it out!

super explications des techniques propres à la synthwave ! merci Bluffmunkey …

I could watch videos on this stuff all day - many thanks!

Great tutorial. Thanks Bluffmonkey!

Awesome tutorial!

I enjoy the history lesson of WHY they did it like that as much as I enjoy the how they did it.

I’d like to see more tutorials for different genres.

I haven’t finished the course yet, but I already learned lots of great tips. Great stuff!

Thanks for your hard work on this! Found it informative and very professional!

Simmons toms rule lol

Fat Line Bass only has 1 unison voice not 6 as mentioned. The six ‘voices’ refers to the polyphony. I was confused by this and checked the manual.

You’re absolutely right, my bad.

Where did you find the manual by the way? I bought Polysix years ago, and was told there wasn’t one. The unison engine is specific to the plugin, so it would be interesting to read up on it.

Cheers.

@Bluffmunkey

There’s one downloadable owner manual here from Korg.com :wink:

Thanks bud, but that’s not what I’m looking for. That’s the manual for the original hardware, and the unison on the plugin is new, and doesn’t work the same as the hardware.

Currently up to part 5 in this and its so far just what I’ve been looking for. Great job. Looking forward to watching the rest today.

Plugin manual is here. https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/articles/115005875266-PDF-Manuals

I only noticed as I remember using the same preset but adding one more unison voice and saving it as ‘Fatter Line Bass’.

Ah yep, got confused by reading " I bought Polysix years ago " … My bad :blush:

Doesn’t seem to have a specific Polysix manual then, it’s a common one for Polysix/MS-20 and original Legacy Cell edition from 2007 from the link mentioned by @Modular1. All KORG’s plug-ins had a recent refresh I believe, so not sure if those guides are even up to date. A bit confusing from KORG.

@Modular1 @Bluffmunkey

Hmmm, weirdly KORG has got an iPolysix dedicated Manual for the iPAD version of the Plug-in but no manual for the desktop plug-in ?? Not cool, or is it just me not being able to find an up to date manual ?

Anyway → Referring to this from this iPolysix Manual and assuming it should be the same with Polysix, Geoff might be right in the end, the FAT-LINE Bass patch on the Polysix is using 6 unison voices because only the UNISON button is lighted & active, the POLY button is OFF.

EDIT : And that’s from the original Legacy Cell Polysix Plug-in manual ( the only one I’ve found from KORG ). So reading this again makes me understand that the FAT-LINE bass patch is using 6 unison voices and no polyphony, because one mode disable the other.

https://forums.sonicacademy.com:/uploads/default/original/3X/4/3/43ce8f43382b609f567aa04e12803f33d2310810.wav

Heres the Polysix Square PWM 3d waveform… made it in NODE.

Not that its needed in Fat Line Bass sound really… the regular square does a good enough job… but there it is anyway!

1 Like

Cool :wink:

It will help people not having the KORG stuffs to get this cool bass sound in another wave-table synth like ANA 2 or Serum or even a sampler instrument :thumbsup: :sunglasses:

Simply right click on the Audio Player and select “Save Audio as…” guys.

@Modular1

I found that link too, but it doesn’t work for me.

In any case, you were right about the unison amount and I had simply misinterpreted the readout.

I’m glad my videos teach ME something too…

Playing around with the Fat-Line bass patch on the Polysix, here’s what I’m understanding in the end. So yes, the amount of Unison voices is 1 and not 6, I also got it wrong interpreting it the first time. But the value 6 for the “Total” voices slot has nothing to do with Polyphony, because both can’t be used at the same time, it’s one or the other.

This value 6 in the end is the maximum Unison Voices you decide to set, from 1 to 32 and depending of that number you won’t be able to assign more voices in the Unison slot.

But in the end yes, it’s a 1 voice Unison patch unless you increase the voices, but not related to Polyphony mode.

Really nice course. This sound-design orientation is what I was looking for. Ahd all the historical tips are really appreciable.