That t-pain style effect .. without using autotune?

I’ve watched a few videos and learnt a fair bit on vocoders and stuff like that, but no matter what i do i can’t seem to get the vocal i’m working with to have that t-pain / Will-i-am style effect.

Can anyone give me some tips. Does this only work on certain kinds of vocals etc?

The tune we are working on right now would really sound big if it had that style on some of the vocals so we are trying to work out how to achieve it without having to buy autotune (I want it in the studio eventually but i need to spend the cash on other things right now)

Thanx guys

Its because that effect is using an auto tune, your question is like how do i drive without a car…

Autotune

iirc it’s a bit of a pain to do, but you could download a demo of Autotune to see if it works on that vocal?

Lol hes asking to get the effect without auto tune…

Seriously mate its impossible, do you have something against Antares? Lol…

without having to BUY it.

…and he’s a she :stuck_out_tongue:

Oops my bad, but wether u have a cock or a fanny you wont get that effect without Antares Autotune…

I think the title was changed. It was originally, how to get vocals to sound like T-Pain or something. She added the “without Autotune” part later.

No guys title wasn’t changed it was always without autotune.

Thanx for the helpful comments. It was just a question to see if it could be done so there wasn’t really much need for the sarcasm etc a simple “sorry you gotta have autotune for it” would have worked.

Producer forums should be helpful :wink: just a thought for some of you.

I shall now head off to save my pennies for autotune in the studio as well :slight_smile:

thanx

[quote]Japwow (25/03/2011)[hr]

It was just a question to see if it could be done so there wasn’t really much need for the sarcasm etc a simple “sorry you gotta have autotune for it” would have worked.

[/quote]

Don’t worry Nina he’s like that with everybody :slight_smile:

so what would ya say… You Do here?

lol slender … it’s the reason that i often don’t bother with the forum though. Being helpful is how it should be.

If nothing polite or helpful can be said just don’t say a word

Sorry I didnt really mean it in a negative way just trying to make a point… But I apologise…

A point can always be made without rudeness. After all they kept saying you couldn’t make certain sounds without certain synths and someone found a way so it’s not a stupid request :wink:

I’m surprised nobody has said this yet. Look into Celemony Melodyne. It can help you achieve that computery sounding vocal without all the pitch fluttering that autotune gives you. Take a listen to this song and let me know if this is the sound you are referring to.

I Can Make You Work by DJReidiculous

Enjoy!

Thanx mate yeh thats the kind of thing i’m after. The pitch bits are cool that autotune does but i don’t really wana be copying that style i just want something similar. Seems melodyne may help me achieve that :smiley: i shall have a look into it

[quote]Japwow (28/03/2011)[hr]Thanx mate yeh thats the kind of thing i’m after. The pitch bits are cool that autotune does but i don’t really wana be copying that style i just want something similar. Seems melodyne may help me achieve that :smiley: i shall have a look into it[/quote]

Hey gurlie! Melodyne wont give you the TPain style effect, but its the PERFECT pitch correction tool IMO. You can get natural sounding pitch correction with no aliasing or artefacts coming in. If you want a touch more of an effect, you should try also the warping algorithms in live. Try tones and textures to get different effects.

Thanx hun i’ll look into that too. I don’t use ableton much but it’s often used when i’m working on old jazz style tracks with warping so i’ll mess with some vocals in there too