The Japanese Popstars - Live Act

The guys played at one of our local clubs last night and although I wasn’t there, I did just check out the photos and it’s three of them performing on various bits of kit.

Now I can see one guy is using ableton, the novation controller and a midi, the guy in the middle is using a studio mixer and the guy on the other end using what looks like synths?

Basically what they’re doing has really intrigued me and I’d really love to know and understand exactly how they’re doing their ‘live act’, is it just loops on the ableton with one guy making up riffs on his synth as he goes along? Or how does it all work?

Does anyone have any idea?

I only ask because I’d really really like to set up something like this and go down the live route myself, but i’m not 100% exactly what the beef is, it looks very different to traditional ‘DJing with Ableton’.

Anyone got clues? I noticed the guys are from Derry (Ireland), you don’t know them do you Phil / Bryan? (Sorry I know ireland is quite big and just because you both happen to live in ireland it’s not like you’re all automatically going to know each other as if the whole of ireland are one big happy family and all that lol… but it’s more of a long shot question haha)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

If you ever get a chance to check these lads out live do…

Id say they are the best live act iv seen in years.

Have you seen Making Contact -

http://www.zero-inch.com/artist/Richie_Hawtin/album/MAKING_CONTAKT-The_Documentary_(HD_Version)/151263

It should give you a little insight in however much you prepare expect the unexpected - I used to play keyboards and run atari cubase with a live band many years ago - and would love to play live again (nothing like it for the buzz) - and one off the reasons why I chose Ableton over other DAWs

2c.

Think the Top Synth is a Korg Sampler.

[quote]ICN (05/07/2010)[hr]2c.

Think the Top Synth is a Korg Sampler.[/quote]

I could be a smarta*s and say the clue is in the writing - you know I’m joking mate :smiley:

[quote]slender (05/07/2010)[hr][quote]ICN (05/07/2010)[hr]2c.

Think the Top Synth is a Korg Sampler.[/quote]

I could be a smarta*s and say the clue is in the writing - you know I’m joking mate :D[/quote]

Haha! -

Yeah… You know the one with the Black & White Keys. LOL

I do as much as I can with 3 - 4 decks when I’m playing, as well as with the EFX, but i really want to be playing live, with a synth creating extra sounds, as well as being able to use samples much quicker and easier than just loading them up on one of the CDJs.

I really want to break the boundry and do more musically when im performing and feel that when using CDJ’s there is only SO much I can do and feel restricted.

[quote]roben (05/07/2010)[hr]I do as much as I can with 3 - 4 decks when I’m playing, as well as with the EFX, but i really want to be playing live, with a synth creating extra sounds, as well as being able to use samples much quicker and easier than just loading them up on one of the CDJs.

I really want to break the boundry and do more musically when im performing and feel that when using CDJ’s there is only SO much I can do and feel restricted.[/quote]

Exactly how I felt when I started djing after playing live its just not the same and I felt frustrated alot of the time

They dont look Japanese to me…

But seriously, gotta look up google. Its an amazing thing dude. Check it out…

[url]http://www.novationmusic.com/us/community/artists/Japanese_Popstars[/url]

#1 HIT ON GOOGLE!! CMON DUDE!!!

That 1st Photo - Looks like he’s got Reason rewiring through Live.

Anyone recgonise the Watch that yerman has in the Green T-Shirt? :smiley:

[quote]ICN (05/07/2010)[hr]That 1st Photo - Looks like he’s got Reason rewiring through Live.

[/quote]

…and he has headphones while smoking an imaginary pipe :hehe:

[quote]slender (05/07/2010)[hr][quote]ICN (05/07/2010)[hr]That 1st Photo - Looks like he’s got Reason rewiring through Live.

[/quote]

…and he has headphones while smoking an imaginary pipe :hehe:[/quote]

While realising that he’s just done a wee wee…