The Sound of Dubstep

G’day good people,

Just curious, does Dubstep have to be qualified by wobbles and heavy base, or is it mainly the rhythm? Say if I were to change the rhythm drastically, but keep the wobbles and bass, would it still be Dubstep?

Thx,

T

I dunno, from what I sort of know the Wobbles are the aesthetic that people grab onto to say “Hey! This is Dubstep”! But I wouldn’t say that that’s what characterizes it. I’ve heard plenty of Dubstep without wobbles that sounded very much like Dubstep. I think the 1-3 Kick snare pattern is actually what makes something Dubstep.

After all, that’s why it’s called DUBstep. As in two step. Because the kick comes in every other beat.

Not the wobble, definitely not that.

While it is very much part of Dubstep, its far from essential, and if anything better left out, or only used because it works, not because you want to sound ‘Dubstep’.

The snare on the 3 is a fairly solid staple for sure, though again, not 100% essential. Agreed most Dubstep would be definied by heavy bass and dub rhythms, but that is essentially how you might describe reggae too.

Sound choice and various other things come into play too. Listen to stuff by Ramadanman and Untold who do something totally different, yet still come under the same banner.

The Dubstep scene in general I would say is suffering from too many “Doof-kish WOMWOMWOMWOM” tunes

I think it comes mostly down to the drum pattern and the heavy snares

one of the oldest dubstep tunes.

one of my all time fayyyves too :)

Classy tune.

For me all DS that I hear lately is totally the wanky sort that you are talking about there. Its dire.

Stuff like what you’ve posted there is just brilliant on so many levels. But unfortunately it probably wont be as popular as the full throttle “Breaks” Dubstep.

[quote]bangthedj (23/02/2011)[hr]Not the wobble, definitely not that.

While it is very much part of Dubstep, its far from essential, and if anything better left out, or only used because it works, not because you want to sound ‘Dubstep’.

The snare on the 3 is a fairly solid staple for sure, though again, not 100% essential. Agreed most Dubstep would be definied by heavy bass and dub rhythms, but that is essentially how you might describe reggae too.

Sound choice and various other things come into play too. Listen to stuff by Ramadanman and Untold who do something totally different, yet still come under the same banner.

The Dubstep scene in general I would say is suffering from too many “Doof-kish WOMWOMWOMWOM” tunes

<EMBED height=390 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=480 src=Ramadanman - Blimey [HES 005] - YouTube allowfullscreen=“true” allowscriptaccess=“always”>[/quote]

That album is excellent. Always in the car.

[quote]krisroberts (24/02/2011)[hr]one of the oldest dubstep tunes.

one of my all time fayyyves too :slight_smile:

[/quote]

i dont know… i mean it depends, are you making music to be popular? i doubt so/hope not, if you are your creating from the wrong place and will never be truly creative enough to make anything good anyway. all that matters as an artist is your creating what you love. because at the end of the day this is a hobb/something we enjoy. no wobble reese bass i think it is. pretty sexy it think :smiley:

and remember genre smongre they are a rough guideline of what a song is like!

oh and ICN totally agree amazing album, nice and chilled :smiley:

Thank you for all the replies, and really fantastic track posts!

Mainly I was experimenting with what I guess you could call dubstep, but I had removed the heaviest of the bass and 'WOMWOMWOMWOM"ing altogether, so I didn’t know how to label it in my own mind. Definitely too much of that being thrown around nowadays in my humble opinion :unsure: