Throbbing Strings

I have a track I’m working on at the moment that I was hoping for some assistance with.

I want to make my string section ‘throb’ (like a sidechain compression throb) only I want it to throb in time with the bass riff. IE the gain is at maximum when the bass note kicks in.

I can sidechain compress the strings to get the effect but I want it in time with the bass rather than complimenting the kick.

I’m using Live 7 or 8.

Any ideas?

Have you tried selecting your bass rather than your kick in the sidechain compressors drop down menu?

Another thing you can do is manually duck the volume whereever you have a bass note playing in your strings track. This is very similar to sidechain compression except you have greater control over your volume/ducking.

Thanks chaps -

Roben - I’m after a throb with the bass rather than around the bass. IE Peak gain with the bass noise. Sidechain will throb it when the bass isn’t playing.

Howie - Yup have tired that, with varied results (mostly crap). I find it becomes to stacatto unless I automate gain curves, which takes far too long.

I was hoping for something like a “reverse sidechain” kind of tool, it may be a big ask though!

Probably something like sidechaining a gate with the rhythm from the bass opening and closing it. Don’t really know if this would do what you are looking though.

You could always try and set up a rhythm trigger on your sidechained compressor with the same rhythm as the bass only set back 1/4 or 1/2 a beat from the bass so that the strings would duck just before the bass hits then pulse on the bass hit

[quote]bouffont (6/19/2009)[hr]Thanks chaps -

laying.

Howie - Yup have tired that, with varied results (mostly crap). I find it becomes to stacatto unless I automate gain curves, which takes far too long.

I was hoping for something like a “reverse sidechain” kind of tool, it may be a big ask though![/quote]

It will work if you only duck it a little bit. You dont do it alot, very minimally. You only have to do it to one midi sequence and then duplicate and viola! Minimal work.

I think (but not sure) that a gate might work for you.

Thanks all - I’m interested in learning more about gates. I’ve seen them crop up all over the Sylenth presets and they seem entertaining but I’ve never had a use for them.

I’m off to learn some gate blurb.

Cheers all, much appreciated

knocking up a tech tip to explain this for you.

keep an eye out on the site

bry

basically what you need to do is have a track with a kick drum on every note apart from the ones your bass notes are on

[quote]paulhale (6/25/2009)[hr]basically what you need to do is have a track with a kick drum on every note apart from the ones your bass notes are on[/quote]

Yeah that’s exactly what i was thinking basically, cept obviously the kicks would be silent.

yeh i should have also said they are to be used as the sidechain trigger