Tips on Mastering and getting the best in volume

Right, here goes…I’m new to producing my own tunes, well a year, but i’m new to ableton!

I currently use Reason 4 and Ableton Live 7.

The thing is… i rewire reason to ableton so i can master my tracks using the mastering chain… so anyway, i’m getting my volumes right (i think) without clipping and my master to the top level (without clipping) but after i render it down and listen to it it sounds low!!!

any tips on boosting it up would be great.

i have my own myspace if u like to check it out and give your opinion

thanks Darren

Http://www.myspace.com/wealllovetechno

Hey mate,

On a very basic level you could bring the bounced track back into Ableton and simply gain it up then bounce it out again if you are happy with the mix. Alternatively I use this…

[url]http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/[/url]

…on my master track in Ableton and it’s well handy.

hope this helps,

Graham

I’m guessing Platium Notes is not as good as Ozone ??

Ozone’s awesome, i use it for creating stereo width but as of yet haven’t used it for mastering.

I usually put my rendered track into cool edit then ‘normalise’ it, this also boosts the sound without distortion.

[quote]robbiestyles (10/14/2009)[hr]I’m guessing Platium Notes is not as good as Ozone ??[/quote]

platinum notes is more for the dj’s, it scans your mp3 collection and boosts or lowers the over all volume of you collection to make them easier to eq match while mixing or at least thats how i know most djs use it lol

[quote]roben (10/14/2009)[hr]Ozone’s awesome, i use it for creating stereo width but as of yet haven’t used it for mastering.

I usually put my rendered track into cool edit then ‘normalise’ it, this also boosts the sound without distortion.[/quote]

i’ve always been taught not to normalize before mastering, i was always shown to normalize after recording a sample and not in the mixing or mastering stage.

i could be very wrong

I was gonna say the same thing too. There are other ways to create width without using Ozone. I would only use that when you are completely done with a track.

[quote]howiegroove (10/14/2009)[hr]There are other ways to create width without using Ozone.[/quote]

Do you have any examples/ideas ? Ozone is a bit much @ $249.99 USD.