Tony Andrews talks Funktion One

I spotted this on another forum and I thought it was interesting.

<EMBED height=390 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=480 src=Tony Andrews Talks About Funktion One with Cielo Mention - YouTube allowfullscreen=“true” allowscriptaccess=“always”>

I can understand why someone who has spent his life trying to get perfect sound for nightclubs would find sound quality going down by using mp3 annoying but I don’t think you can blame DJs. I think if you could buy 24 bit 96k versions of tracks then DJs would. I would, I would love to have my collection like that, but just buying WAVs costs twice as much.

Funktion One are the nuts though.

AND ALSO:

<EMBED height=390 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=640 src=- YouTube allowfullscreen=“true” allowscriptaccess=“always”>

[quote]TheAnt (14/03/2011)[hr]I can understand why someone who has spent his life trying to get perfect sound for nightclubs would find sound quality going down by using mp3 annoying but I don’t think you can blame DJs. I think if you could buy 24 bit 96k versions of tracks then DJs would. I would, I would love to have my collection like that, but just buying WAVs costs twice as much.

Funktion One are the nuts though.[/quote]

Back when i was buying vinyl, imports were £7 a pop so £2 a wav is a hell of alot cheaper !

Sub Club in Glasgow has a Funktion One system and you can always tell the difference between MP3’s and wav’s, you dont get that sub-bass pounding in your chest with MP3’s.

Seen this on TV while back

[quote]5id (15/03/2011)[hr][quote]TheAnt (14/03/2011)[hr]I can understand why someone who has spent his life trying to get perfect sound for nightclubs would find sound quality going down by using mp3 annoying but I don’t think you can blame DJs. I think if you could buy 24 bit 96k versions of tracks then DJs would. I would, I would love to have my collection like that, but just buying WAVs costs twice as much.

Back when i was buying vinyl, imports were £7 a pop so £2 a wav is a hell of alot cheaper !

Sub Club in Glasgow has a Funktion One system and you can always tell the difference between MP3’s and wav’s, you dont get that sub-bass pounding in your chest with MP3’s.[/quote]

So you can walk into a club with someone playing a 320Kbps MP3 and say, “he’s playing MP3s, that sounds cra p!”? If so you must have exceptionally well trained ears and you are in a tiny minority in the world.

Space in Ibiza has a very impressive Funktion One system and I know quite a few people that play 320MP3s there and I would never be able to tell, there is as much sub bass as you could want. I am willing to believe that Tony Andrews can tell because he has had a lifetime devoted to this kind of thing. I am also willing to believe that if you A/B ed a track in WAV and 320MP3 on that system I could hear some small difference.

I would like to be able to tell the difference, but I have tested myself with the same track on my Adam A7s and on headphones and I can tell no difference at all.

My point about wav changes was that whilst they are twice as expensive as MP3s for no good reason people will buy MP3. I still buy records and WAV and, if I have to, 320MP3 but no less.

I do believe that it is important that club owners and DJs take sound quality in a club seriously, just because the punters wont notice that the sound is better isn’t a reason not to do it. I would love to buy all my tracks in 24bit 96k quality as Tony Andrews says, but the only way that will happen is if the retailers make it available and there is only a small price difference.

[quote]5id (15/03/2011)[hr][quote]TheAnt (14/03/2011)[hr]

[/quote]

20 years ago I was spending 20 quid sometimes on imports

[quote]slender (15/03/2011)[hr][quote]5id (15/03/2011)[hr][quote]TheAnt (14/03/2011)[hr]

[/quote]

20 years ago I was spending 20 quid sometimes on imports[/quote]

Yeah, £7 is cheap now. UK releases are from £7-£9 now.

I dont think hes really havig a pop at mp3’s its more companies having to use EQ’s to make their speakers sound good that hes pissed off with…

[quote]TheAnt (15/03/2011)[hr][quote]5id (15/03/2011)[hr][quote]TheAnt (14/03/2011)[hr]I can understand why someone who has spent his life trying to get perfect sound for nightclubs would find sound quality going down by using mp3 annoying but I don’t think you can blame DJs. I think if you could buy 24 bit 96k versions of tracks then DJs would. I would, I would love to have my collection like that, but just buying WAVs costs twice as much.

Sub Club in Glasgow has a Funktion One system and you can always tell the difference between MP3’s and wav’s, you dont get that sub-bass pounding in your chest with MP3’s.[/quote]

So you can walk into a club with someone playing a 320Kbps MP3 and say, “he’s playing MP3s, that sounds cra p!”? If so you must have exceptionally well trained ears and you are in a tiny minority in the world.

Space in Ibiza has a very impressive Funktion One system and I know quite a few people that play 320MP3s there and I would never be able to tell, there is as much sub bass as you could want. I am willing to believe that Tony Andrews can tell because he has had a lifetime devoted to this kind of thing. I am also willing to believe that if you A/B ed a track in WAV and 320MP3 on that systemI could hear some small difference.

I would like to be able to tell the difference, but I have tested myself with the same track on my Adam A7s and on headphones and I can tell no difference at all.

My point about wav changes was that whilst they are twice as expensive as MP3s for no good reason people will buy MP3. I stillbuy records and WAV and, if I have to, 320MP3 but no less.

I do believe that it is important that club owners and DJs take sound quality in a club seriously, just because the punters wont notice that the sound is better isn’t a reason not to do it. I would love to buy all my tracks in 24bit 96k quality as Tony Andrews says, but the only way that will happen is if the retailers make it available and there is only a small price difference.[/quote]

What’s your verdict on MP3’s compared to WAV’s after your trip to Space Ant ? :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, excellent! I stand corrected (by myself) :stuck_out_tongue:

I take it all back (although I think to be able to hear the difference you have to be the one mixing the tracks).

I still can’t bring myself to buy mp3s. I nearly did last time I was at the juno checkout but changed my mind at the last minute :hehe:

I’m sure there will be a lossless compressed file one day. Oh there is isn’t there?!? Called “flac” are something

You can tell the difference… also most of the time if someone is dj’ing with ableton

always buy wav, don’t care about the additional cost

no ****ty bsides, no vinyl getting scratched, wavs are great, although people like beatport do take advantage of this

I haven’t really noticed a difference although i can’t say i’ve ever made a conscious effort to check

Nothing beats the sound of vinyl i’m afraid. I will never forget the day the Funktion One crew came over and installed the speakers at MyHouse/Stinkys Peephouse (Home to Back2Basics). I ran a night there on the Friday and was the first one to test out the speakers, they sounded awesome! The install guys were there all night checking to see if i was happy with the sound and made constant adjustments through the night

They were loud and punchy yet you were able to stand in front of the speakers and have a conversation with someone no bother as there were no f#cked up frequencies getting dished out