Top end percussion, hats etc

hi guys

when adding top end percussion (im talking high hats mainly here) how do you guys do it? do you just use loops? program them in? if programing then what samples do you use, battery stock samples? vengeance?

when i listen to high hat loops from vengeance and other sample CDs they seem to sound like they have a chorus effect over them? and theyall sound nice and “together”.  when i program them in they never sound as “professional”, i mean i mess with the timings and velocities to get them sounding “human” but they just dont sound radio/club ready. im sure im missing out some effects processing on them.

any advice would be great.:smiley:

I will always say try to create your own sounds from scratch, you can get high end samples that work and thats cool ,but for me (just my opinion ) i feel that if i make my own then i can really say that that sound is my own .!

thanks egg. what processing do you apply to your programming?

[quote]jpgetty2win (06/03/2010)[hr]hi guys

when adding top end percussion (im talking high hats mainly here) how do you guys do it? do you just use loops? program them in? if programing then what samples do you use, battery stock samples? vengeance?

when i listen to high hat loops from vengeance and other sample CDs they seem to sound like they have a chorus effect over them? and theyall sound nice and “together”. when i program them in they never sound as “professional”, i mean i mess with the timings and velocities to get them sounding “human” but they just dont sound radio/club ready. im sure im missing out some effects processing on them.

any advice would be great.:D[/quote]

I’ll answer your questions on each line as I go down. Perhaps I can provide some assistance without being arrogant.

I use both loops as well as samples and sometimes if I like certain aspects of a loop but not others, I will slice to midi.

The sounds I use are from sample packs mainly, or I use the D16 909/808/606 emulations so that I can tune them all and they would automatically all fit together.

Usually when you use loops from sample packs, they are already compressed and EQed for you and are basically ready to go in your tracks. If you want to add a human feel, you can use the groove engine included in Live 8. If you want to add FX processing to them, you can add reverb, which will set them back in the mix. You can also add a quick delay on to your hats or your snares if you dont want to add reverb. It might not sound like much, but if you set a simple delay to 7 ms on the left and 10 ms on the right, it adds a nice touch that is hard to hear, but it makes a difference in the long run. Its the small things that count. A great lead, basslines, and drums mean jack if the small things arent there.

Sorry if this answer wasnt good enough. Hey, at least I got my post count up, right?

thank you for the full and interesting answer. but please add sacarstic with arrogant next time you post, thank you. :stuck_out_tongue:

so is the chorus type sound on the loops actually a chorus effect applied to them? or is it something else? what would be the “benefit” of adding a chorus effect to top end loops?

Perhaps you should post an example of this loop with the chorus effect you are talking about. You can upload it to soundcloud and post it here. I sincerely doubt that there is chorus on a loop, but I could be wrong.

Either way… HIGHER POST COUNT!!! YESSSSSS!!! :cool:

its not just one loop but 90% of the loops on the vengeance CDs. you got the Vengeance sample CD? i could list a few loops to lsiten to .

Excellent keep up the posts, each ones getting you one step closer to being a Production Demigod.

Yes sir. I have them all… I think. Tell me to which I am referring.

And dont call me a Demigod. I’m Jewish. I dont believe in that crap.

and, im on AOL Instant Messenger if you would like to hit me up. All members can do that. I might be sarcastic though and you might not be able to take it. :wink: If you are a sensitive person, I understand.

Holla!

AIM/ djhowiegroove

ive only got MSN…?

heres a few i easily found. i started to just jump about cos there was so many that i think sound like they got a “chorus” to them… or a “sheen” would probably be a better way to describe them…   if you get what i mean?

Mustek Sample CD
- VEH2 Loops
- VEH2 Percussion Loops 128BPM
53…

thank you for the help.

Woops…dont got that one. Sorry. Upload to Soundcloud.

[quote]jpgetty2win (06/03/2010)[hr]thank you for the full and interesting answer. but please add sacarstic with arrogant next time you post, thank you. :stuck_out_tongue:

so is the chorus type sound on the loops actually a chorus effect applied to them? or is it something else? what would be the “benefit” of adding a chorus effect to top end loops?[/quote]

i know what you mean about that sound or effect on the venegance loops, i don’t know why its on a lot of them. my guess is that its maybe its an after effect or a side effect of what ever they have used to remove the kicks and low end from the sample and get them clean.

i read somewhere before that Schleis & Reuter like to add gates after their effects when creating loops so that the effect doesn’t take over the loop

[quote]jpgetty2win (06/03/2010)[hr]hi guys

when i listen to high hat loops from vengeance and other sample CDs they seem to sound like they have a chorus effect over them? and theyall sound nice and “together”. when i program them in they never sound as “professional”, i mean i mess with the timings and velocities to get them sounding “human” but they just dont sound radio/club ready. im sure im missing out some effects processing on them.

any advice would be great.:D[/quote]

sometimes the best way to make them sound human i guess it to play them in on your midi keyboard, steve angello does that in his future music video and personally i think his sounded great. another thing is trying to think like a drummer i guess, a drummer only has one hat and he will open and close it with the peddle so when you program a open hat, remove the closed hat.

same goes for other elements of the drums if you want them to sound human, a human drummer can only play three elements at the same time and one of those is the kick.

There’s also the Tech Tip from a few weeks ago that shows how to use an exciter to boost high end frequencies? I’ve used this one quite a bit since watching it and it really helps to raise hi-hats and snares out of the mix. :slight_smile:

guys thanks for the opinions. jon im pleased you can hear the “sheen” too.

for the guys that dont have the samples heres just a few that ive uploaded so you can hear what i mean.

http://soundcloud.com/carnehan

thanks

Yay post counts for the win, whoop… :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

To be honest, use what ever, i may use a loop, i may not, i may even use both, or i may even use just parts of one loop, parts from another loop and then - just to go all crazy rolls eyes and wild - parts from another loop even if i want. :w00t:

The reason that the loops will sound different to ones you’ve done yourself is normally because they’ve been treated, they have groove, they have a human feel to it, that’s all done with velocity, groove, reverb, delay, etc.

Does that mean you should add velocity, groove, reverb, delay to every high end your doing? No. It just means you can, think about what works for the track your making.

thanks for the reply roben

“The reason that the loops will sound different to ones you’ve done yourself is normally because they’ve been TREATED, they have groove, they have a human feel to it, that’s all done with velocity, groove, reverb, delay, etc.”

this is what im after… treated in what way? its not the groove and note placement that im looking for its the “sheen”/treatment thats twisting my noodle.

It doesn’t sound like they all have a specific chorus effect on them. My guess would be they are all well eq’d and then some further type of high end treatments to get that hi end sheen (maybe a Sonic Maximizer, Exciter type of plug in). Then all sounds are bussed together with some effects that will help it all gel together (maybe a compressor over the top to squish them together). Maybe even some very light for ambience only reverb to make all the hits sound like they are all in the same room.

thanks rcorbo,

regarding an earlier post about using an exciter on top end perc, what video was it, i dont seem to see it? are you sure it was a tech tip?

No Prob. JP

The exciter tutorial video is in Tech Tips Volume 1. It’s number 15 Create an Exciter. It talks about using eq and light distortion to create an Exciter effect.