Trance today is pretty dissapointing

Ive not really been into the trance scene over the last year and i started listening to the beatport top ten and new releases etc today and i must say im pretty dissapointed…

Everything is just becoming really slow and progressive, theres no fire in trance nemore. Its just become very mellow and like wanna be commercial.

I even heard a track from one of my fave producers and in the middle it turns into a dubstep song… I mean whats going on? Is uplifting trance dead?

Why not try some techno? It’s always moving forward… :smiley:

Trance and other commercial styles are spinning their wheels in the same “paint-by-number” processes that are just being revamped over and over again. It isn’t the style itself that is becoming mellow and lacking fire. It’s your ears becoming numb to the incessant use of dubstep-wobbles and saw waves.

J

[quote]jjdejong0 (11/09/2011)[hr]Ive not really been into the trance scene over the last year and i started listening to the beatport top ten and new releases etc today and i must say im pretty dissapointed…

Everything is just becoming really slow and progressive, theres no fire in trance nemore. Its just become very mellow and like wanna be commercial.

I even heard a track from one of my fave producers and in the middle it turns into a dubstep song… I mean whats going on? Is uplifting trance dead?[/quote]

‘Nobody listens to trance’ - jjdejong0, 2011. :smiley:

Well I have heard some tunes I like but its just not the same as it was back in the day. Tunes from a few years ago I find amazing and the beatport top ten of todays trance I find kinda lack luster. I mean its not all bad dont get me wrong but like beatport now shows you the bpm of the tracks and its all between 128-132 I mean those are House tempos. I want some 135-140 high flying hands in the air stuff. Ill tell you one pleasent surprise I came accross, Paul Oakenfold - Moonlight party. Its really cool to see Oakie back on the trance.

But still, overall I feel a bit sad :frowning:

well Trance is a genera that has been a trademark of the Commercial Electronic Music here in the US.

Trance had his glory times back in the 90s but it evolved more to progressive stuff early 2000. which still was new to back in that day .

nowadays Trance is super commercial , pop music pretty much took over trance. and all Trance is struggling more than before .

maybe is different up where you live Jan.

i would suggest to accept other generes , and maybe you will be the one who change how trance is produced.

you have to listen and accept other generes, even Dubstep . it helps you in the long run producing and creating your beats

[quote]alinenunez (11/09/2011)[hr]well Trance is a genera that has been a trademark of the Commercial Electronic Music here in the US.

Trance had his glory times back in the 90s but it evolved more to progressive stuff early 2000. which still was new to back in that day .

nowadays Trance is super commercial , pop music pretty much took over trance. and all Trance is struggling more than before .

i would suggest to accept other generes , and maybe you will be the one who change how trance is produced.

you have to listen and accept other generes, even Dubstep . it helps you in the long run producing and creating your beats[/quote]

You were doing so well till you started mentioning Dubstep

[quote]slender (11/09/2011)[hr][quote]alinenunez (11/09/2011)[hr]well Trance is a genera that has been a trademark of the Commercial Electronic Music here in the US.

you have to listen and accept other generes, even Dubstep . it helps you in the long run producing and creating your beats[/quote]

You were doing so well till you started mentioning Dubstep[/quote]

hahah . well where i live( in the dirty South ) Dubstep and Drum and Bass is Supreme. 90% of the Dance party plays Dubstep.

this is another reason i need to move out of here hehe.

[quote]alinenunez (11/09/2011)[hr][quote]slender (11/09/2011)[hr][quote]alinenunez (11/09/2011)[hr]

You were doing so well till you started mentioning Dubstep[/quote]

hahah . well where i live( in the dirty South ).[/quote]

I always knew you were a hillbilly

[quote]alinenunez (11/09/2011)[hr]well Trance is a genera that has been a trademark of the Commercial Electronic Music here in the US.

I agree

Its not that I dont accept other genres as I listen to a lot of different genres. Now it doesnt matter if they put in dubstep or techno or breakbeat whatever. Its just it doesnt mesh well, trance is all about epic breakdowns, big build ups and release. But its all just getting soooooo progressive and poppy. Its like in essence, trance is slowing down lol…

[quote]jjdejong0 (11/09/2011)[hr]Its not that I dont accept other genres as I listen to a lot of different genres. Now it doesnt matter if they put in dubstep or techno or breakbeat whatever. Its just it doesnt mesh well, trance is all about epic breakdowns, big build ups and release. But its all just getting soooooo progressive and poppy. Its like in essence, trance is slowing down lol…[/quote]

yeahh that is true Jan . Epic Buildups , Snare rolls and some gay *** vocals talking about love .

they call that Big Room House nowadays :P.

[quote]jjdejong0 (11/09/2011)[hr]Its not that I dont accept other genres as I listen to a lot of different genres. Now it doesnt matter if they put in dubstep or techno or breakbeat whatever. Its just it doesnt mesh well, trance is all about epic breakdowns, big build ups and release. But its all just getting soooooo progressive and poppy. Its like in essence, trance is slowing down lol…[/quote]

do you not feel that trance @140bpm can be real predictable though? like when then breakdown kicks in i can tell exactly how the climax will sound… soo annoying… butthe only real different sound in trance iv heard lately is this>

I really like that track lol…

[quote]alinenunez (11/09/2011)[hr][quote]jjdejong0 (11/09/2011)[hr]Its not that I dont accept other genres as I listen to a lot of different genres. Now it doesnt matter if they put in dubstep or techno or breakbeat whatever. Its just it doesnt mesh well, trance is all about epic breakdowns, big build ups and release. But its all just getting soooooo progressive and poppy. Its like in essence, trance is slowing down lol…[/quote]

yeahh that is true Jan . Epic Buildups , Snare rolls and some gay *** vocals talking about love .

they call that Big Room House nowadays :P.[/quote]

It’s all really cheesy to me! … just reminds me of the crescendos at the end of Rom Coms and disney films … its all very very gay!

[quote]butthe only real different sound in trance iv heard lately is this>

[/quote]
I like the tune but how is this different ? It's virtually going back to hmm 2002-2005 and the glory of uplifting trance. Ok, after the breakdown there is no melody, but still it's same thing over and over....

All that epic breakdowns with huge pads. The first one was I guess legendary Rank 1 - Airwave (1999-2000 ?) and then other copied it.

For example this:

scroll to 3:05 :)

And about the melody, it's virtually a recreation of what Alphazone or Nu-Nrg were doing - positive arpeggios playing at 138-140 bpm :)

Or this:

just starts from somewhere around 1:42

To be honest "The Legacy" it's one of the most powerful, energetic trance tune I ever heard. The buildup is great, breakdown, melody, chords... :)

I'm listening (or I was) to trance since the early 90s and to me this genre is just dead. There wont be better tunes than ie. Chicane - Saltwater, Thrillseekers - Synaestheasia or if you're more into "underground" then some kind of Astral Projection old tunes. I mean, somewhere around 2006-2007 the progressive trance came and it was something new (Gareth Emery for example) but after a year I had enough of this because it was even more repetive than old 138-140 bpm ulifting trance.

Current pop music takes tons from trance - catchy melodies, detuned saw leads. For example Chris Brown - 3X, over 60 mln people watched this on youTube. the lead is trance lead just less detuned.

Or Jodie Connor - Bring It (scroll to 1:00 and that lead playing - it's pure detuned trance "supersaw" used in about hundreds of trance tunes :) )

[quote]jjdejong0 (11/09/2011)[hr]Well I have heard some tunes I like but its just not the same as it was back in the day. Tunes from a few years ago I find amazing and the beatport top ten of todays trance I find kinda lack luster. I mean its not all bad dont get me wrong but like beatport now shows you the bpm of the tracks and its all between 128-132 I mean those are House tempos. I want some 135-140 high flying hands in the air stuff. Ill tell you one pleasent surprise I came accross, Paul Oakenfold - Moonlight party. Its really cool to see Oakie back on the trance.

But still, overall I feel a bit sad :([/quote]

HaHa…I was just listening through a lot of the top trance tunes on Beatport too and I just didn’t hear anything that I really thought was great.  There were some ok tunes, but nothing really stood out to me.  And yeah, a lot of it was in the 130 BPM range which is way too slow for trance. 

All good things come to an end eventually. Rip trance 1996-2001 :wink:

Fu ck Trance. Bag 'o Sh!te

[quote]ICN (12/09/2011)[hr]Fu ck Trance. Bag 'o Sh!te[/quote]

That sums this thread up in a nutshell :smiley:

When trance is long gone. When people have long forgotten how to make the style, Jan will roam a post apocalyptic world, carrying the book, the book that allegedly carries the secrets of how to make a good trance record.

He will encounter many who want the book. In particular, a descendent of Tiesto who runs the local township who will stop at nothing to get the book. Jan befriends a young woman and together they travel away but are caught. They are fired upon by Tiesto jnr the third and his cronies and he manages to get the book. He opens the book and there is nothing there… empty white pages. He goes mad and shoots everyone and himself.

Jan and the girl escape out the back and make their across the perilous wasteland to the last civilised area. The Ministry Of Sound is a guarded retreat where the grandchild of David Guetta is in charge. He asks Jan where the book is, hopeful to restore Trance, and save the world. Jan says he doesn’t have the book, but he can write down how to create a gigasaw patch and that’s the start… at this point we realise that actually Jan is blind… flashback scenes show this and how he had been reciting… not reading it all the time… memorising the tips he had picked up on Sonic Academy.

The End.