Tuning drums?

cool man nice 1 :slight_smile:

[quote]ICN (29/04/2011)[hr]J.Hiz… Thats absolutelynot right Mate.

Music doesnt have to be in tune?

The more pitched stuff, like Kicks, toms, cowbells, whatever… they all have a musical tone.

The more frequency rich stuff, like claps & hats & crashes… even though you might have a hard time locating their main freq on an analyser, they do have a place in the musical spectrum.

Everything has a relationship to one another… where it sounds good or bad. Let you ears decide at the end of the day of course… but to say nothing else has to be in tune is sending this fella wrong.[/quote]

I’ll usually only really think about the kick and the bass in terms of tuning (in fact I try and have them a 5th apart or something so they work together but are also out of each other’s way).

Not sure I’d bother tuning the rest of my drums that much, maybe. But for the rest of the percussive elements I personally just go by ear, it’s usually obvious if it’s working or not.

can someone please explain parrallel compression and how to set it up?

would this be something used rather than side chain the bass ?

“can someone please explain parrallel compression and how to set it up?”

set up a return track & insert a compressor … crank it up for extreme compression.

now by using the send on your track, send this track to this return “easy does it”.

now you can blend your track signal with the return compressor signal by simply increasing your send… easy does it !!

“would this be something used rather than side chain the bass ?”

no not at all… two completely different things.

side chaining the bass is so the bass ducks every time the kick hits, this is used for that pumping sound we all know & love so much…

parallel compression is used to enhance the tonal quality for the source signal, in order to help the sound cut through the mix… to be used more to feel rather than hear… just be careful with it… & see what you feel/hear. :slight_smile:

tuning drums…

ICN mentioned using Span & Abletons Spectrum… here is as series of vids

demoing this technique… in the vid the Author uses this technique to the define the

fundamental frequency (pitch) of the stab chords…

The same technique can be applied to defining the pitch of your drums …

http://www.youtube.com/user/fleetmusicblog#p/u/12/yeGQWlJu8RY

:slight_smile:

My ears are burning Lenners… who mentioned my name? :slight_smile:

legend :wink:

[quote]ICN (29/04/2011)[hr]J.Hiz… Thats absolutely not right Mate.

Music doesnt have to be in tune?

The more pitched stuff, like Kicks, toms, cowbells, whatever… they all have a musical tone.

The more frequency rich stuff, like claps & hats & crashes… even though you might have a hard time locating their main freq on an analyser, they do have a place in the musical spectrum.

Everything has a relationship to one another… where it sounds good or bad. Let you ears decide at the end of the day of course… but to say nothing else has to be in  tune is sending this fella wrong.[/quote]

ICN is 100% correct.

Lets think outside of dance music for a second. Do you think that the drums for any rock band are tuned to the rest of the group? The answer here should be no. Does the music sound full and correctly in key. Your answer here should be yes, unless you’re tone deaf.

ICN is right on the money. The only things that you need to worry about are really the toms (as in dance music they serve as a prominent role in the mix), the bass drum (unless it’s more clicky then subby) and any other tonal instruments. Sometimes having things out of tune can create some dissonance which in some cases is also preferred.

Bottom line, use your ears. I personally do not even tune my kicks unless they are of a fatter variety. It’s just pointless and a waste of time. A kick is a kick unless it’s really subby.

I don’t know, jbach… Unless you are EQing the top of your kicks completely out, the low-frequencies of the kick will naturally activate harmonics that may or may not interact with mid-range and even high-mid range items. This is even if there isn’t a perceptible pitch to the kick!

Just for an example, slowly sweep the transpose parameter on your kick and listen to how it fits into that pocket when you reach the key of your piece… Refining even further with the “fine” tuning will make it sit even better.

[quote]JamieinNC (04/06/2011)[hr]I don’t know, jbach… Unless you are EQing the top of your kicks completely out, the low-frequencies of the kick will naturally activate harmonics that may or may not interact with mid-range and even high-mid range items. This is even if there isn’t a perceptible pitch to the kick!

Just for an example, slowly sweep the transpose parameter on your kick and listen to how it fits into that pocket when you reach the key of your piece… Refining even further with the “fine” tuning will make it sit even better.

[quote]

I agree Jamie.
Good points there.

I guess the point that I was trying to convey was that it’s easy to go overboard with this and actually do more harm then good, in regards to tuning your entire kit.

Agreed. After all, who wants to spend so much time with that when there are so many other cool instruments to play with! :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]jbachjr78 (04/06/2011)[hr][quote]JamieinNC (04/06/2011)[hr]I don’t know, jbach… Unless you are EQing the top of your kicks completely out, the low-frequencies of the kick will naturally activate harmonics that may or may not interact with mid-range and even high-mid range items. This is even if there isn’t a perceptible pitch to the kick!

[quote]

I agree Jamie.

Good points there.

I guess the point that I was trying to convey was that it’s easy to go overboard with this and actually do more harm then good, in regards to tuning your entire kit.

[/quote]

i dunno guys, tuning ur kick is important in some genres,you gotta watch the low end, you dont want dissonance as on a big sound system or with a sub as it wont sound good… not my words but rick snowmans, cant argue with him really now can you?

here:

ops wrong topic post

okay, maybe they are some pretty silly questions…

…if the root note of my bass is a C, then my kick and my other drums have to be tuned to note C too?

…or they have to be in the same scale (e.g. C major)? so tuning my kick and my other percussive sounds to D, E, F, G, A, B is okay?

…for example, to what other notes can i tune my other drums (snare, clap, hats, etc) for a C tuned kick, if my bass is in the C major scale?

a little confusion is going on in my mind… :w00t: