Tuning drums?

hey guys.im learning ableton live at the monent and heard its important to tune drums…i use simpler to sample my percussion hits etc. wondering is there anyone out there that can help or even request a it to be in the next tech tips tutorial.

cheers:)

Voxengo Span: [url]Free Spectrum Analyzer Plugin, FFT, Real-Time [VST, AU, AAX] - SPAN - Voxengo

or the inbuilt Spectrum in Live… both allow you to hover your cursor over the freq’s and give you the read out of what the musical pitch is.

Will get you in the ballpark when used in conjunction with a pair of ears :slight_smile: :cool:

this is an easy 1.

yah its a good thing to tune your kicks,snares,claps & hats to all the same key.

The way to do this is to throw an ableton Spectrum plugin onto the drum midi channel.

When you have the drums playing it will show in the spectrum the peak of the sample, which is the note that the sample is being played on. So from there once you know what the note is, you can transpose the sample down or up semitones to get the key you want.

I was going to say that

[quote]slender (28/04/2011)[hr]I was going to say that[/quote]

lolol. you should go to the doctor and get your arthritis medicine then old man :hehe::D:P

thanks alot for the quick reply guys.will give it a go :slight_smile:

[quote]UnitedVision (28/04/2011)[hr][quote]slender (28/04/2011)[hr]I was going to say that[/quote]

lolol. you should go to the doctor and get your arthritis medicine then old man :hehe::D:P[/quote]

I was to busy doing the five knucle shuffle over my new avatar :wink:

i didnt know that myself lads thanks, one question though, any tips on hw to make your drums a lot phater? i use the compressor saturator and eq already but its not feeling beefy any tips?

[quote]deanmau5 (28/04/2011)[hr]i didnt know that myself lads thanks, one question though, any tips on hw to make your drums a lot phater? i use the compressor saturator and eq already but its not feeling beefy any tips?[/quote]

Parallel Compression =Phat drums !!:slight_smile:

[quote]egg2 (28/04/2011)[hr][quote]deanmau5 (28/04/2011)[hr]i didnt know that myself lads thanks, one question though, any tips on hw to make your drums a lot phater? i use the compressor saturator and eq already but its not feeling beefy any tips?[/quote]

Parallel Compression =Phat drums !!:)[/quote]

but i’m making a progressive house track would that suit it? because i usually see it done in techno etc… nevertheless a good tip thank u!

[quote]deanmau5 (28/04/2011)[hr]i didnt know that myself lads thanks, one question though, any tips on hw to make your drums a lot phater? i use the compressor saturator and eq already but its not feeling beefy any tips?[/quote]

try throwing a multiband dynamics onto the FX chain. some interesting results there.

also parallel compression FTW!

So what you find what pitch your drums are. Do you make them all lets say a C note.

or do you just want them in the C Scale? Major or minor. ?

Like if you have a C Bass Note. Do you want your kick to be exactly C or can it Be D? As long it is in the same scale?

Same with other drums, toms or whatever?

[quote]shaman koz (29/04/2011)[hr]So what you find what pitch your drums are. Do you make them all lets say a C note.

or do you just want them in the C Scale? Major or minor. ?

Like if you have a C Bass Note. Do you want your kick to be exactly C or can it Be D? As long it is in the same scale?

Same with other drums, toms or whatever?[/quote]

good question.

I usually just make some pseudo drums before I actually start writing the track.

But in reality you want your drums to be in whatever key your bass/lead is in.

So after I make my sounds, sometimes its good to go back and fix the drums 2 match.

You dont have to make them all C notes to stay in the C key either.

C major chord is C, E, G so you could actually have a drum tuned to C, E or G and be in tune.

Thank you

+1 for UV - Tuning everything in the same Key.

If everything is the same note, but in different octaves, the harmonics will all potentially build up, as they will all share the same Freq’s.  

[quote]erictubbs (28/04/2011)[hr]hey guys.im learning ableton live at the monent and heard its important to tune drums…i use simpler to sample my percussion hits etc. wondering is there anyone out there that can help or even request a it to be in the next tech tips tutorial.

cheers:)[/quote]

just to help you out… the only thing that REALLY needs to be in tune is your Kick. All you do it pitch your kick up an octave and try to find where it’s in key to your track.

J.Hiz… Thats absolutely not right Mate.

Music doesnt have to be in tune?

The more pitched stuff, like Kicks, toms, cowbells, whatever… they all have a musical tone.

The more frequency rich stuff, like claps & hats & crashes… even though you might have a hard time locating their main freq on an analyser, they do have a place in the musical spectrum.

Everything has a relationship to one another… where it sounds good or bad. Let you ears decide at the end of the day of course… but to say nothing else has to be in  tune is sending this fella wrong.

Right on, ICN.

It’s all about frequencies and harmonics.

had a go at this but no luck.i key in my hats etc at c3 then go into the spectrum and its says they are at c8. does it matter once they are on the key of c.can anyone give advice on where i am going wrong.

cheers

[quote]erictubbs (11/05/2011)[hr]had a go at this but no luck.i key in my hats etc at c3 then go into the spectrum and its says they are at c8. does it matter once they are on the key of c.can anyone give advice on where i am going wrong.

cheers[/quote]

C3 and C8 are in the same key man. Just different octaves. doesnt matter. your good.

this actually makes sense because hats are usually on the high end of the FreQ spectrum.