Understanding - Understanding Mixing Fundamentals with Phil Johnston / 1016

@MdJ

I’ve downloaded the project and checked this and I’m not sure where from the “Lush Piano-05” sample is TBH.
I’m also missing the audio sample file in ANA 2 for the “Soft Piano” track 26 ( might have been a modified sample used by Phil here ).

For the other one, the “OB6 Noise” for the “Main Lead” in track 23 : the preset “OB6 Busted Keys” and this noise sample are part the expansion presets pack Vol.7 Synthwave, so that’s why it’s missing if you don’t have this expansion pack already installed.

@phil_johnston maybe this could be amended in the project file resources ?

This course was MONUMENTALLY helpful! Great instructor and content!

1 Like

Very average course. First of all, althought the course seems to address many issues, author fails to explain WHY it’s an issue and WHY he’s doing what he’s doing. He’s basically informing us what we see on the screen. Also there are little to none explanations what are the standards in the scope of discussed issues.
Secondly, for non-native english listeners, his pronounciations of several words are confusing. I’m not sure if he’s referring to sind, sound, sine (sound?), byass (bass) or many other terms. It’s probably of matter of his english accent, but, for me, it was confusing and somewhat annoying.
Understanding mixing fundamentials rely on knowledge WHY something should be done in exact why and what to avoid. This course basically doesn’t explain anything in these matters.

Thanks for your feedback.

It’s a 1st level tutorial aiming at understanding the fundamentals of Mixing as the course name suggests.
So it’s more about the general purpose of Mixing and tools and techniques you can use for this rather than really going in depth or more technical.

There’s no secret science in Mixing TBH, it’s basically all about keeping your levels balanced & under control as well as making space for each element in the Mix ( avoiding frequencies duelling and masking ), and then placing each element in the right “space” and more or less “in your face” or in the back depending of the genre & style of music you’re mixing.

There’s a part 2 available here : Understanding Mixing Level 2

I would also recommend to check those other courses :

Loudness and Metering with Kirk Degiorgio

Mixing in 3D

How To Hear EQ Frequencies

5 Beginner Mixing Mistakes

Mixing Kick and Bass

Creating Wide Mixes with Protoculture

I often find my self getting back to tutorials and rewatching courses. There’s a lot of information and areas to get around with in Music Production, it doesn’t always make sense at first. So learn at your own pace with course’s resources, then use those techniques with your own material, there’s no secret, it takes time and practice. Critical Listening and referencing other tracks is also key point in the process IMO :wink:

Hope this helps !

Cheers