University For Music?

Hey guys, I am a freshman in college at Penn State Smeal College of Business, but I am not happy with what I am learning as well as the complete lack of music courses. I want to learn about business related to music as well as produce and learn about music in general.

So what universities do you guys know about that are good for music production/technology/ and/or business

I already applies to berklee and NYU but I find it annoying that to apply for business and production I have to be an amazing singer and performer despite the fact that neither of those have anything to do with performing lol…I played piano for 6 years and I have taken AP music theory classes so my theory is down but my proficiency at the piano is garbage now.

Have you looked into the Art Institute? My good friend went there and also interned at a local venue.

Now he is a talent buyer for one of the worlds largest concert promoters, LiveNation.

It seems kind’ve low end, I was thinking more NYU, Julliard range

Those schools are more for performing arts.

The music biz isn’t like most businesses. It’s not all about what school you went to.

Before working at LiveNation (which he makes a killing at) he worked at APA booking agency in California and represented acts like Flogging Molly, Something Corporate, and even Fall Out Boy. He got to where he is by getting out and networking his *** off more than his education.

It comes down to who you know and your experience more then education. It’s not an easy road for many to take, because you are right in thinking that if the music business thing doesn’t work out then that Art Institute degree isn’t worth crap in the real world.

It’s a risk only you can decide if you are determined enough to accomplish or not.

But wether you go to NYU or Art Institute isn’t going to matter in your interviews.

Tbh in this bad economy. Get a electrician or plumber or business degree or diploma.

To have backup just in case the music career won’t suffice. (In demand job).

You can also do online music school -cheaper (I can’t provide the www link due the terms of SA).Pm me for more info.

:slight_smile:

[quote]Decebal (20/03/2012)[hr]It seems kind’ve low end, I was thinking more NYU, Julliard range[/quote]

i live in nyc.

if you’re thinking julliard you had better have the right stuff!!!

one of the best music schools in the world! :w00t:

[quote]J4Electrix (20/03/2012)[hr]Get a electrician or plumber or business degree or diploma.

To have backup just in case the music career won’t suffice.

[/quote]

:smiley:

Sry, I need to clarify what I meant. I want to do music first and foremost and have business as a backup (marketing is what I do now). I want to find a school that focuses on music but also has a decent business program.

I know name doesn’t matter much (even though in a lot of cases it does, as well as brand name usually equals quality, even if it isn’t bang for your buck), but my parents wouldn’t pay for a college that isn’t really good…and yes I know Juilliard is a top rated school (Berklee is considered better though) but so is the current college I am enrolled in and I see no reason why I’d go down in quality.

My problem right now seems to be that I have to be able to sing for entrance for every music school which is wtf…I want to do production/business and they are asking me to sing lmao…they apparently care about that just as much as the fact that I’ve played piano for 6 years, which is ridiculous

Honesty, you kind of sound like you are all over the place with what you want to do.

If your looking for music first then try Carnigie Melon. They are also a fantastic music school and I know two people who went there. One does lots of theatrical work in New York and the other was on Broadway a couple of times.

I am giving you real world examples so you can see what really matters.

Again, if youre looking at the business side of it, no one will give two craps if you can sing like Povarati or what school you went to. Price does not always mean better. They want industry experience over school. So go to a music school for music and intern at some venues in your area and gain music marketing experience. That way you have the best of both worlds.

The music business is filled with non college type of people. They are not your prep school geeks. These are the people who believe in hard work and preserverience in what they love. Not sitting behind a book.

And I apologize for the spelling mistakes. I have sausage thumbs when using my phone. :slight_smile:

Good luck

[quote]jbachjr78 (21/03/2012)[hr]Honesty, you kind of sound like you are all over the place with what you want to do.

If your looking for music first then try Carnigie Melon. They are also a fantastic music school and I know two people who went there. One does lots of theatrical work in New York and the other was on Broadway a couple of times.

I am giving you real world examples so you can see what really matters.

Again, if youre looking at the business side of it, no one will give two craps if you can sing like Povarati or what school you went to. Price does not always mean better. They want industry experience over school. So go to a music school for music and intern at some venues in your area and gain music marketing experience. That way you have the best of both worlds.

The music business is filled with non college type of people. They are not your prep school geeks. These are the people who believe in hard work and preserverience in what they love. Not sitting behind a book.

And I apologize for the spelling mistakes. I have sausage thumbs when using my phone. :slight_smile:

Good luck[/quote]

Good points, thanks and yeah Carnegie Melon is great I forgot about that school, thanks a lot!

Not to sound like an absolute **** but dont you think going to Uni for music production is a bit… wrong? Feels like a waste to me… Loads of successful artists come from a self taught background, why spend a fortune learning it just to get there faster and only to get there with other peoples sounds and influences probably heavily affecting your music…

Personally I would never do it but obviously its up to you, I would suggest you think very carefully about it…

[quote]MistroPain (22/03/2012)[hr]Not to sound like an absolute **** but dont you think going to Uni for music production is a bit… wrong? Feels like a waste to me… Loads of successful artists come from a self taught background, why spend a fortune learning it just to get there faster and only to get there with other peoples sounds and influences probably heavily affecting your music…

Personally I would never do it but obviously its up to you, I would suggest you think very carefully about it…[/quote]

…music is a study just as much as anything else, just because you have ears doesn’t mean you understand anything about music in any sense, and yeah…loads of business men are self taught too, why even go to school anymore? And funnily enough these self taught artists are almost always lacking in complexity since they never bother to learn advanced music theory, even if they are talented creatively.

The more you learn about music the more you understand and the better you can be at it, it isn’t just programming sounds and randomly putting in notes

I guess I see where you are coming from, but I have heard that too much music theory can be a bad thing? Maybe I am waaay off, anyways all that matters is you do what you want to do, and with that in mind good luck with everything bro!

Sorry for offending.

[quote]Decebal (22/03/2012)[hr][quote]MistroPain (22/03/2012)[hr]Not to sound like an absolute **** but dont you think going to Uni for music production is a bit… wrong? Feels like a waste to me… Loads of successful artists come from a self taught background, why spend a fortune learning it just to get there faster and only to get there with other peoples sounds and influences probably heavily affecting your music…

Personally I would never do it but obviously its up to you, I would suggest you think very carefully about it…[/quote]

And funnily enough these self taught artists are almost always lacking in complexity since they never bother to learn advanced music theory, even if they are talented creatively.

[/quote]

and you can tell which artists that have some advanced music theory background. their melodies are diving in an out through out the track, call and response through out, jumping from one mode to the next and having it all sound pretty F…ing good!! as opposed to some that just have a simple hook in a chord progression and repeating out for 6 to 7 minutes.

Agreed, sad that it’s that exact lack of education from the public that allows terrible artists to thrive.

And you didn’t offend me I was just trying to clear up a few misconceptions. Also there is no real such thing as too much music theory, what you probably mean is being too rigid to it and not following any creativity, the way I see the rules in music is you need to know all of them before you can break a single one…because I see all these guys being like “yeah music rules don’t matter, i break them all the time” and i’m like name one…and they just get blank faces