Using acapella's / legal situation

Hi all,

I got a couple of questions…

I want to use an old acappela from a record from 1965, I’ve seen a lot of artists doing it (for example Butch - No worries)

How is the legal status? Do the artists have to buy copyright?

And if I use only a part from an acapella and pitch it, change it a bit… can I get in trouble?

Other work around I thought of is to find someone to sing the same text for you - will this be legal or are the lyrics copyrighted too?

I’m interested in this as well, i take samples and speeches from movies, series and tv shows but can i use hem of do i need to clear these samples…

Haven’t had time to ask google this, perhaps someone here knows by experience… :cool:

Best contacting whoever owns the rights and asking them if its ok to use them as they will make money from it, same counts for films/tv programs!

If you don’t this could happen to you (3.03 in btw)…lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPpAAQh1BOc

:cool:

[quote]BoneIDOL (20/04/2011)[hr]Best contacting whoever owns the rights and asking themif its ok to use them as they will make money from it, same counts for films/tv programs!

If you don’t this could happen to you (3.03 in btw)…lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPpAAQh1BOc

:cool:[/quote]

ghehe lol

Yes, you do need to have samples cleared, however, I wouldn’t worry too much.  Unless your music goes mainstream where it is seen on MTV (cringe) (do they even play music anymore) or radio, etc. I don’t think you’re gonna have the police knocking on your door.

Also, this is more of the label’s concern than yours.  You can write whatever you want as long as you’re not selling it.  Once the label takes it and starts selling it, that’s where it gets a little “iffy.”

This is all just my experience too.  I’m not sure if I’m 100% right.  It’s just what I’ve heard from people in the biz.

I do remember when DJ Shadow’s album came out he had to clear TONS of samples.  Some of them he wasn’t able to clear and couldn’t use certain tracks on the album.