Using 'Commercial' Club as venue

Hello everyonebr
br
First thought i’d say hello so hello ha. I’m starting up my own little project as a promoter. I’ve promoted for a student night previously but i want to start venturing into a project in which I get to enjoy musically as well as making it my own. br
br
The club i have to work with has a reputation for being rather commercial. It’s a ‘Tiki’ Style club and most nights are student nights and commercial music oriented. br
br
Now the club is fully decorated with this style of theme sells cocktails etc etc. br
br
now not trying to say its a bad thing just giving you an idea. I quite like it for the sheer fact that its not a big club capacity around 500 and its got a low ceiling sweaty downstairs almost basement like feel. br
br
Anyway what I’m trying to ask is i look to be focusing on music. Good Music. unlike the other nights here which play typical charty music. It will mainly revolve on different sub genres of house. I’m quite big on Deep house and techno (everybody loves techno ha) :wink: etc but variants of house and also other genres garage,old school hiphop kind of an anything goes night but obviously with different little events occurring.br
br
It’s weekly and what i’d like to know if anyone has experience in doing something as such, any advice you would have that might help etc.br
br
I plan on creating a different environment in the club adding to it to make that rave like feel that i’ve enjoyed all my life.br
br
Thanks for any replies.br
br
Alekbr

just turn all the lights down real low like Fabric… makes it really moody

slam in a weather report mid mix to get things going

agree with Phil, make it dark and moody, have a word with whoever usually does the lighting in there and make sure it’s minimal strobe/spots, rather than having a disco feel to it.br
br

Totally agree with them above. Minimal setup. Strobo, Deep visuals and good music. No ****ty lasers.