Vocal Latency

Hi All,br
br
Just bought a cheap USB Mic to add some spoken pitched down vocals to ableton. The latency is terrible. I speak and then a second or so later I can hear my voice. Trying to get things in time is a big problem. I know I can warp it and bring it in a bit but I want to record somewhere as nears as possible. Any tips from anyone using vocals in Ableton would be a help.br
br
Thanks.

does the mic have ASIo drivers?br
br
br
If not it will use the OS drivers which are normally quite high latency.br
br
What mic is it.br
br
Also even if you have good Asio drivers. Latency will build up as each plugin is added it adds a bit of latency which is compensated for.br
br
Some soundcards have direct monitoring so it passes the dry microphone signal to your headphones etc. to avoid the delayed sound.br
br
Ableton is terrible for recording vocals as it calculates the delay compensation wrong too. and you have to manually adjust every takeā€¦ nightmare.

Hi Phil, thanks for the comments. The mic is only a cheap karaoke mic from Maplin so as far as I am aware there are no ASIO drivers for it. It is currently using the drivers in windows 7 but I am listening to the sound coming from a focusrite VRM box. I might plug some headphones direct into the PC and use the on board sound card to see if that makes it any better. I suppose if better i could record the vocals in this way and then switch back to using the VRM box which is what I normally use.