Weird problem while trying to group tracks in Ableton Live 7

Hi,

I’m facing some weird problems when I have tried to group together some of my tracks in the session window while watching one of SonicAcademy’s video tutorial. Problem is that after I have highlighted all of my tracks using shift-command and pressing right click of the mouse I can’t find such a choice as “Group tracks” among the other options. I guess I’m not doing anything wrong so I really hope to get this thing work… :blink:

Here is a picture I took about the issue

The reason why you can not group tracks is because you are using a copy of Ableton Live 7. The group feature is only available in Live 8.

You can do this though, but its a little more long hand. It is good to know how to do it too, because although I do use the group feature, I still route even grouped busses to another main bus. For instance, I would do my main drums as a group. Then if I wanted to add anything else in, but keep it separate, I would run everything to one main “DRUM” bus.

All you have to do is create an Audio Track and label it. Then route all the tracks you want to group. So their output would be routed to the track you just labeled. Make sure to set your bussed track to “IN” so that it can receive the signal from all the channels you route to it.

As usual, howies quick to answer that one :wink: haha.

Spot on answer.

Now I was doing this in Ableton 7 today…well it went like this

Drum rack (then)

Separate audio tracks for each sound in the drum rack (then)

routed those back to a buss track to apply compression ect…

My problem is the signal from the separate audio tracks and my drums master buss are combined, I only want the output from the drum buss. How do you get drum sounds from just the drum buss and not the separate drum hit tracks?

Obviously I tried turning off the separate drum hit tracks but it takes away from the sound on the buss too. I know there is a way to do this aside from soloing the drum buss track and all other sounds(synths, fx ect).

Help appreciated.

[quote]stylz (11/24/2009)[hr]Now I was doing this in Ableton 7 today…well it went like this

Drum rack (then)
routed those back to a buss track to apply compression ect…

My problem is the signal from the separate audio tracks and my drums master buss are combined, I only want the output from the drum buss. How do you get drum sounds from just the drum buss and not the separate drum hit tracks?

Obviously I tried turning off the separate drum hit tracks but it takes away from the sound on the buss too. I know there is a way to do this aside from soloing the drum buss track and all other sounds(synths, fx ect).

Help appreciated.[/quote]

are you extracting the tracks from drum rack? :slight_smile:

[quote]stylz (11/24/2009)[hr]Now I was doing this in Ableton 7 today…well it went like this

Drum rack (then)

routed those back to a buss track to apply compression ect…[/quote]

Put your compression on the main drum rack bus and it will compress everything in the rack.

[quote]stylz (11/24/2009)[hr]My problem is the signal from the separate audio tracks and my drums master buss are combined, I only want the output from the drum buss. How do you get drum sounds from just the drum buss and not the separate drum hit tracks? [/quote]

You can create another track and run the drum rack to a separate channel bus

[quote]stylz (11/24/2009)[hr]Obviously I tried turning off the separate drum hit tracks but it takes away from the sound on the buss too. I know there is a way to do this aside from soloing the drum buss track and all other sounds(synths, fx ect).

Help appreciated.[/quote]

In an already created drum rack, your routing should go like this… snare, hats, toms, cymbals, kick, etc -----> drum rack bus

So here all the individual sounds get routed to the main drum rack bus. So if you add compression to the drum rack, you will compress everything. If you want to compress just an individual sound, you can do so as well.

However, if you have two drum racks, you can route the output of each drum rack to an audio track you created. Make sure you click “IN” on the master audio bus you created. This way you can add effects, compression, or whatever to all the drum racks created. You can also have total control over each specific group of drums/sounds.

Hope this helps.

Hmmmmmm.  Let me tell you guys why I’m doing it my way then maybe you’ll be able to help me.

OK…I start with a drum rack for obvious reasons, easy to program midi.

I then create an audio track for each instrument/perc hit that is in the drum rack.  (monitor in from drum rack)  I do this so I can add different effects(different reverbs ect…) to each instrument individually and for mixing purposes(I’d rather use level sliders for each instruments audio track than use the drum racks volume controls).  During this stage the drum racks is turned off, but I still get the sound through individual audio tracks…that’s perfect.

OK…I reroute the individual audio tracks back to an audio track, making the new track the master buss for drums to which I apply compression ect…to glue the drums together. 

Problem is…with nothing soloed the drums master and individual drum tracks combine.  I don’t want that.  I want the audio from just the drum master.  If I deselect (turn off) the individual tracks they dissappear from the master buss signal too.  The only way I can get the drum buss plus my synth and fx to play without the individual drum tracks too, is to solo them.  That’s a pain.

Oh and I compress on a buss instead of drum rack because I want to compress after individual fx have been added not before.  Can you add fx to only a certain instrument within drum rack? I couldn’t figure out how if so.  And can you add sends to certain hits within drum rack.  I don’t see how you could. 

[quote]stylz (11/24/2009)[hr]Hmmmmmm.  Let me tell you guys why I’m doing it my way then maybe you’ll be able to help me.

OK…I start with a drum rack for obvious reasons, easy to program midi.

I then create an audio track for each instrument/perc hit that is in the drum rack.  (monitor in from drum rack)  I do this so I can add different effects(different reverbs ect…) to each instrument individually and for mixing purposes(I’d rather use level sliders for each instruments audio track than use the drum racks volume controls).  During this stage the drum racks is turned off, but I still get the sound through individual audio tracks…that’s perfect.

OK…I reroute the individual audio tracks back to an audio track, making the new track the master buss for drums to which I apply compression ect…to glue the drums together. 

Problem is…with nothing soloed the drums master and individual drum tracks combine.  I don’t want that.  I want the audio from just the drum master.  If I deselect (turn off) the individual tracks they dissappear from the master buss signal too.  The only way I can get the drum buss plus my synth and fx to play without the individual drum tracks too, is to solo them.  That’s a pain.

Oh and I compress on a buss instead of drum rack because I want to compress after individual fx have been added not before.  Can you add fx to only a certain instrument within drum rack? I couldn’t figure out how if so.  And can you add sends to certain hits within drum rack.  I don’t see how you could. [/quote]

hey m8 show hide chain list its the button with three squiggly lines to the left of the drumrack, click it it will bring up your chain list ,click the little io and r buttons that now appear on the left of the rack,when you do this a new box appears “drop audio fx here” right click in this box and create return chain … job done ! hope this helps man :slight_smile:

Also i think with what your trying to do, is your “audio from” post or pre ?if on post mixer setting audio will be cut off when you mute original try setting to pre/post fx in the input channel box think this should work !:slight_smile: