What else are you gonna do on a thursday?!

Being a novice is quite hard and now I’m stuck and I have no idea how to take it further since I’m not yet accustomed with the tools.

A little backgroundstory to the tune I’m trying to make and what I did and didn’t do:

*My intention was to sound much like SHM and Avicii because I find their tunes catchy and intense

*I used some samples from the swedish house tutorial and some sample from a tech tip (changed them a tiny bit) along with various standard presets from Sylenth1 (also changed a bit).

*I haven’t EQed at all, nor mastered it (cause I suck at it) other than lowering some of the volumes to avoid it ‘going into the red’…

*The only kind of compression I use is some sidechaning of synths.

*I haven’t added any snares, claps, hats and almost no percussion. (I feel adding it would just make it suck more cause I lack knowledge in drum music theory)

What I feel:

*Apart from the pure notes (just put some notes in there to make it sound kinda simple) I feel that the tune lacks “space”, maybe due to lack of mastering or lack of different synth sounds. I dunno if paning more would help it or maybe choose other synths, or some heavier bass.

*Also the main riff part is pretty weak compared to the rise just before it, any ideas how to improve it?

Thanks for reading this far and if u have enough patience give it a listen!

Henke S - New Try by Henke S

Edit: Seems like soundcloud doesn’t work properly right now, hopefully it will come up soon!

Dunno if the quality works but here it is on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zgaelkQFYM

Dude, allowing for what you’ve said, this is good. Needs the work you mentioned, especially perc parts but keep going.

The kick sounds a bit baggy to me. I do like a punchier kick.

[quote]jonsloan (21/10/2010)[hr]Dude, allowing for what you’ve said, this is good. Needs the work you mentioned, especially perc parts but keep going.

The kick sounds a bit baggy to me. I do like a punchier kick.[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback! I guess I will check some more tutorials before trying to implement louder drums.

Also another question to everyone regarding EQ. What would you say is the general idea with EQ? Is it to boost lower sounding elements or is it to boost already loud frequencies to get a spacier sound? Or something else?

hehe, I remember when my stuff was sounding like that. Don’t worry, you are doing fine, don’t expect to master this **** in a few months or maybe even years (took me 7 already and I’m still a noob).

The thing is, you can’t stop learning, making music = learning new things :slight_smile:

Good tip, learn how to make your own “Sine” sample and then make your own kick(s) with it.

Just make a deep “BOOO” (C4 will do for trying it out) sound and export as wave and then load it up again as sample. Tune the sample and drop it 4 to the floor. Then repeat, every time you want the kick you made to layer upon the other one, basically EQ the diffrent layers put grooves on them etc. probably doesnt make a lot of sence reading it myself now :smiley: Anyways, layering is the way to go. Loads of vids on youtube too about kicks.

Get the kick right a

[quote]Rob Mitshi (22/10/2010)[hr]hehe, I remember when my stuff was sounding like that. Don’t worry, you are doing fine, don’t expect to master this **** in a few months or maybe even years (took me 7 already and I’m still a noob).

The thing is, you can’t stop learning, making music = learning new things :slight_smile:

Good tip, learn how to make your own “Sine” sample and then make your own kick(s) with it.

Just make a deep “BOOO” (C4 will do for trying it out) sound and export as wave and then load it up again as sample. Tune the sample and drop it 4 to the floor. Then repeat, every time you want the kick you made to layer upon the other one, basically EQ the diffrent layers put grooves on them etc. probably doesnt make a lot of sence reading it myself now :smiley: Anyways, layering is the way to go. Loads of vids on youtube too about kicks.

Get the kick right a[/quote]

Yeah I know that the only way to really get the sound you want is to make it yourself, too bad it will take a lifetime to really accomplish that :smiley: Thanks for the tip and I will surely check out some tutorials, they have one on here if I’m not mistaken!

You could do your own or buy the Vengeance Minimal drums pack. It’s bloody good. Downside is that a lot of people use it.

I just quit using the Vengeance Kicks, I only used Techhouse 7 and 9…

Now I use my own 3xOSC made sines. Dunnow, use both when needed id say.

I learned a lot byjust looking at the waveforms up close.

Get “emissions” from dubfire, open it in a program so you can zoom in to the waveform,

look at how he made the kicks, you’ll see it has 2-3 parts innit.

(and while you are there, might aswel cut it, and save it as a sample :slight_smile:

So I changed the drumkit to a regular 808 and changed some of the cutoffs and volumes inside that set to make it sound more ‘melt in’.

Added EQs, Compressors and a Limiter, dunno if it helps compared to the old track but I think it sounds better.

Also changed the synths in the main riff and removed some backround sounds. Also added another bass in the main riff part.

I feel I don’t have more to give right now on this track, maybe should do a few more tracks before I come back to this one!

Henke S - Ambi by Henke S

Edit: soundcloud is bugging me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F53k7kypmiQ