What makes the best Remix?

So ive been messing around with remixing rather than original songs and im curious what kind of remixing works best. Ive listened to a lot of Afrojack and it seems that he completely changes the song but still keeps the vocal line almost the same. Than there is Deadmau5 with his infamous “Im Not Alone” who keeps the structure of the song but adds his own touch to it. So my questions is, are the more well know remixes done by keeping the structure of the original song i.e. melody, arrangement, vocal line, etc. or are they almost completely new songs?

Thanks for the advice.

Blimey that’s a really tough question to answer mate - I don’t think you can really generalise remixes like that. I know I’ve listened to some remixes and wondered extactly what was in there from the original song - like it’s just a fresh track with no relation to the old one at all. Then I’ve heard some remixes where I’ve wondered what they’ve changed from the original.

i think they might start with all the stems and then get carried aaway with their own ideas and only end up with a drum loop from the original track!

kinda happened in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIQHMc1zguE

all remixes are different. a remix should be your interpretation of the original song. Use some of the parts, or just one of the parts and make it yours. Dont change your sound for the remix. Incorporate the remix parts into YOUR sound. :wink:

Best!

When I remix now I don’t even listen to the original, I normally now start the track like I would an original track of mine then when it comes to putting the riff midi’s in I change the scale and a few of notes around to suit me and my style aswell as putting my own riff’s in. And as I don’t like working with vocals I normally leave the to last(if they are any) and fit them in wherever I think they are suited!

:cool:

I’m similar to Boneidol in the way that I prefer not to hear the original track before making my interpretation, however that has gone out on my arse a little before because i did a remix of a Claude Von Stroke track before and the only real difference was mine was more beefy and phatt, but the lay out was pretty much the same lol, oops.

But apart from that, other remixes i’ve done have been pretty different.

Just lay up all the parts you have and see which you prefer to keep / discard and work with.

I don’t think there is any real strict rule to remixing, like we’ve all noticed, some remixes sound like a completely different track, other remixes have barely anything different but different drums.

Like Howie said, remixing is your own interpretation, so the best way in doing that is listen to the parts you have and go with it, putting in your style and flow as you would with your own original tracks.

The benefit of remixing is that the main parts have already been made for you so it’s easier to get inspiration and ideas.

[quote]deanmau5 (24/09/2010)[hr]i think they might start with all the stems and then get carried aaway with their own ideas and only end up with a drum loop from the original track!

- YouTube

thats a nice video, but im REALLY curious what his “secret” is at 5:00min regarding his bassline.

[quote]Itsapandemic (24/09/2010)[hr][quote]deanmau5 (24/09/2010)[hr]i think they might start with all the stems and then get carried aaway with their own ideas and only end up with a drum loop from the original track!

- YouTube

thats a nice video, but im REALLY curious what his “secret” is at 5:00min regarding his bassline.[/quote]

It’s the bassline I really wanted to find out about!! grrr.

[quote]roben (24/09/2010)[hr][quote]Itsapandemic (24/09/2010)[hr][quote]deanmau5 (24/09/2010)[hr]i think they might start with all the stems and then get carried aaway with their own ideas and only end up with a drum loop from the original track!

- YouTube

thats a nice video, but im REALLY curious what his “secret” is at 5:00min regarding his bassline.[/quote]

It’s the bassline I really wanted to find out about!! grrr.[/quote]

what do you mean? he said it was pretty simple, and it looked simple just the routing is weird and different what makes it special.

impossible to answer but people always respond to vocals (and remember to tease them)