What Monitors?

[quote]EdwardRyan (04/09/2010)[hr]I would say Tannoy 501a’s. Work out to just over £200 a pair.

Tannoy don’t get mentioned as much, because they don’t deal with the magazines that often. They rarely advertise and don’t do promo/prizes etc.

The 501’s have some really good points to them. Their top range is class leading. They use custom designed tweeters. I have a pair of older Activ 6d’s that needed a new tweeter. That cost me £45. Compared to £5 for the generic tweeter found in things like ESI Near 08s etc.[/quote]

I forget what model they were but I had some Tannoys for my home stereo about 10-11 years ago. They were absolutley sublime speakers but they cost me about 500 squids.

if you can get some extra pennies fostex pms are the mutz nutz imo the sound for me is just so phat :slight_smile:

I had the Event PS5 for the longest time, replaced them with a pair of Dynaudio BM6A MKII this year. Best purchase ever!

ive got the JBL 25p’s. starting to think i need to get some new ones. dont think these are giving me the bass responce i should be working with.

anyone else used em?

@ jon and others, the KRK 5’s, better than the V6’s?

you know laidback luke uses headphones to produce…?

+1 for the dynaudio bm6’s

if you can get the sub also (€1000+) you wont find a better near field combo

But the room acoustics is just as important

+1 Audio Technica ATH-M50s Headphones

alongside with some small monitors (Rp5)…

dont have the money for a decent sub…

I got the KrK RP6 g2 and i think they are awesome and pretty much the perfect size for the room im in. I would say for dance music KRK is top dog especially if your on a budget. The difference between the rockits and the vxt is just that the vxt is high end, they do a vxt4 which has a 4" woofer but tbh i dont think you will get enough bass out of it if your wanting to make dance music. My old monitors were some m-audio bx8a pieces of ****, the KRK’s were such an improvement and i INSTANTLY started to hear better sounding mixdowns. However room acoustics is also very important and i always advise people to spend the money they were going to use for monitors on doing up their room acoustics. I know its not as spectacular as getting a new set of monitors but you will learn to love it over time and is a neccesity. If you buy monitors that are a few thousand quid in a crappy treated room your mixes will still sound ****. However if you have a pair of cheaper monitors in a room that is properly acousticly treated you should still be able to get some good sounding mixdowns.

Check out the m-audio cx5…google them great value…

Lol just out of interest anyone know how much I could sell a pair of m-audio bx8a for? Their the new generation version.

[quote]jjdejong0 (09/09/2010)[hr]I got the KrK RP6 g2 and i think they are awesome and pretty much the perfect size for the room im in. I would say for dance music KRK is top dog especially if your on a budget. The difference between the rockits and the vxt is just that the vxt is high end, they do a vxt4 which has a 4" woofer but tbh i dont think you will get enough bass out of it if your wanting to make dance music. My old monitors were some m-audio bx8a pieces of ****, the KRK’s were such an improvement and i INSTANTLY started to hear better sounding mixdowns. However room acoustics is also very important and i always advise people to spend the money they were going to use for monitors on doing up their room acoustics. I know its not as spectacular as getting a new set of monitors but you will learn to love it over time and is a neccesity. If you buy monitors that are a few thousand quid in a crappy treated room your mixes will still sound ****. However if you have a pair of cheaper monitors in a room that is properly acousticly treated you should still be able to get some good sounding mixdowns.[/quote]

Did you pick up the sub along with these? is there even a need? I’m thinking about picking the KRK Systems - RokitG2 6" up these this weekend.

The krk’s were on my short list.

I recently bought my first pair of monitors, (very long overdue). I bought the Alesis M1 Active 520 USB’s for $199 new. Good price for what they offer. They sound amazing-particularly the low end. The USB feature is pretty fricken sweet, too. Digital sound via USB from the laptop, and I can reverse the signal direction with the stereo 1/4 inputs on the back. Great for recording audio into my DAW.

No I don’t have the sub I get nice low end from just the monitors and you can adjust the eq slightly too I’m not knocking the sub tho I’m sure it would help out a bit and prolly save a few trips to the car listening to mixes but you never really know. Some praise a sub and others don’t like how it effects their perception of how the low end sounds in their mixes. It’s all down to checking it out and just ends up being a personal preference. Noone have any idea what I can sell my m audios for lol?