What Monitors?

I’m trying to buy a set of monitors at the minute but not sure what to go for. What are people here using?? My budget would be in around the £200 mark at the minute. Might be able to push it a bit though.

hands down KRK Rockit 5, i think i tested around 30 different models when i decided to get my KRK

i dont think you will get something better for that budget than krk rp5/rp6

May next studio buy is going to be the krk’s, my monitors at the moment are to big for the room I use.

I got some powered M-Audio Studiophile BX8a monitors a couple of years back for less than £250, they are probably loads cheaper now…sound quality is awesome and they’re built like a brick sh*t house.

I’d highly recommend them.

Ditto BX8a’s

haha, John loving the Mo ali quote!

I’m wondering the same thing.

So whats the big difference between the KRK VXT8s and the Rockit 8s?

Is the difference extremely important?

Also does anybody have the Mackie MR8s? They are more $ then the rockit 8s…

are they any better?

[quote]simon-s (02/09/2010)[hr]I got some powered M-Audio Studiophile BX8a monitors a couple of years back for less than £250, they are probably loads cheaper now…sound quality is awesome and they’re built like a brick sh*t house.

I’d highly recommend them.[/quote]

Using the bx8’s myself and they do sound great just to big for my room

[quote]UnitedVision (02/09/2010)[hr]I’m wondering the same thing.

So whats the big difference between the KRK VXT8s and the Rockit 8s?

Is the difference extremely important?[/quote]

They’re both the same size but the sound quality on the VXT8’s is excellent.

I’ve compared the VXT4’s vs the RP6’s and the 4’s sound better.

The price is the only other major difference… I’ve not checked but I bet the VXT’s are a grand more than the Rockits

I was bit hesitant to ask this question as I knew someone would say “use the search function” :slight_smile:

I’ve seen the KRK’s are pretty decently priced nowadays. And I’ve heard great things about them but have heard mixed reviews on their ability to pick up low-end frequencies.

Any thoughts on the package below? Looks appetizing to me because of the headphones that are included (currently using 100 year old DSP 500 from my gaming days :crazy: )

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/KRK-Rokit-Powered-5-G2-Monitors-Mics-and-More-Package?sku=484205&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=331787108

Yeah I feel ya on the search thing. I’ve been doing a lot of searching on this topic lately…

the vxt8s are like $600 each where as the rockit 8s are $250 each. has to be serious quality difference there for it to measure the difference in price.

they have a sweet pkg @ musicians friend for 2 rockit 8s with phones, mics, stands cables for $500. which is crazy cause you could just buy 2 rockits for $500. …

yeah… doesn’t make much sense why they would do that… being that I’m novice, the package might be a good choice for me at least.

KRK Rockit 5 jsut got em a month ago and theyre amazing!

[quote]Subject 1 (02/09/2010)[hr]KRK Rockit 5 jsut got em a month ago and theyre amazing![/quote]

Nice, I was thinking about picking them up soon. Did you buy the Sub along with it?

Its Friday…

What ever anyone does - Dont get these Monitors… Way too powerful for most rooms :smiley: :cool:

I also have the m-audio bx8a. Paid about £180 a year ago. Can’t fault them.

If I was buying sone new monitors tomorrow I would be looking at krk’s or yamaha hs series but they will be more than £200

[quote]J.HiZ (03/09/2010)[hr][quote]Subject 1 (02/09/2010)[hr]KRK Rockit 5 jsut got em a month ago and theyre amazing![/quote]

Nice, I was thinking about picking them up soon. Did you buy the Sub along with it?[/quote]

Yeah although to be honest i didnt feel i needed it they have good bass response already but its still good to have

I would say Tannoy 501a’s. Work out to just over £200 a pair.

Tannoy don’t get mentioned as much, because they don’t deal with the magazines that often. They rarely advertise and don’t do promo/prizes etc.

The 501’s have some really good points to them. Their top range is class leading. They use custom designed tweeters. I have a pair of older Activ 6d’s that needed a new tweeter. That cost me £45. Compared to £5 for the generic tweeter found in things like ESI Near 08s etc.