What type of headphones do you have?

Hi everyone I’m looking for a great set of headphones for monitoring tend to find my mixes through the headphones far too bassy then its obviosly too weak when its played through speakers. The headphones I use which are very basic Sony dj headphones they cost £100 about 5 years ago . What type of headphones do you use and how do you rate them for 1:sound 2:durability and 3:how comfortable are they to wear for long periods of time. I make a lot of music through headphones not through choice just through circumstance

Thankyou

Robert Allan:hehe:

[quote]soundmutant (18/03/2012)[hr]Hi everyone I’m looking for a great set of headphones for monitoring tend to find my mixes through the headphones far too bassy then its obviosly too weak when its played through speakers. The headphones I use which are very basic Sony dj headphones they cost £100 about 5 years ago . What type of headphones do you use and how do you rate them for 1:sound 2:durability and 3:how comfortable are they to wear for long periods of time. I make a lot of music through headphones not through choice just through circumstance

Thankyou

Robert Allan:hehe:[/quote]

I have AKG Q-701s, they are super nice for reference but don’t expect any lows. Also the other major flaw with them is they aren’t noise cancelling in the least which can be annoying depending on your environment for both yourself and others around you, but for the price they are imo the absolute best in that range.

1. 9
  2. 8
  3. 9 (the band on the type can start to really hurt if you don’t wear them properly though, but that’s just my stupid fault haha)

Sony DJ headphones (and probably all dj headphones) exaggerate the lows. That’s why your mix sounds great on headphones, but weak on speakers.

I use the cheaper AKG K240MKII and are absolutely satisfied with the sound. Clear, crips and great detail.

1: 9

2: 9 (fell once from my desk, but luckily no problem. Though I’m pretty sure they don’t like any rough treatment)

3: 9 (wear 'm for hours, no problem at all)

I use Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro and Sennheiser HD 25-1 II. The Sennheisers are actually favored by many DJs and for monitoring they are much better suited than the DT990 Pro. Don’t get me wrong the DT990 sound absolutely amazing, but it is not very analytic. I use the DT990 a lot because it is more comfortable. But for critical listening the Sennheisers and monitors are better.

If you are going to go high end then go with the Sennheiser HD 650s.

This topic has come up here a couple of times and I’m pretty sure the consensus has been the Sennheisers being the best.

They run about $500 US.

Currently I have the Sennheiser HD 280s, but now that I’m more experienced I know that I am losing out on some frequencies. I’ve used a friend of mines HD 650s and the difference is huge. They are crystal clear.

Thanks for your reply’s everyone going to get listen to some seinnheinsers on saturday I’ve spoke to a shop in town and they can let me try various headphones before i buy them so i can find the ones best suited for me. i done a little research elsewhere and didn’t realise there was so much involved buying headphones open back closed back ect I’m thinking i should take my mac to the store to listen to my actual productions on the different headphones i don’t yet have a sound card for my mac and after the headphones I’m going to be looking for a good soundcard i have an emu 1820m for the pc and was very happy with it as it had adat 8 in/out for use with a sampler as i said I’m new to mac does anyone use a sound card with this feature i like lots of ins and outs to keep my options open for different applications/setup

Thanks again

Robert Allan

[quote]jbachjr78 (21/03/2012)[hr]If you are going to go high end then go with the Sennheiser HD 650s.

This topic has come up here a couple of times and I’m pretty sure the consensus has been the Sennheisers being the best.

They run about $500 US.

Currently I have the Sennheiser HD 280s, but now that I’m more experienced I know that I am losing out on some frequencies. I’ve used a friend of mines HD 650s and the difference is huge. They are crystal clear.[/quote]

Sennheissers are better for hi-fi than they are for monitoring, but yes they are amazing

[quote]Decebal (22/03/2012)[hr][quote]jbachjr78 (21/03/2012)[hr]If you are going to go high end then go with the Sennheiser HD 650s.

They run about $500 US.

Currently I have the Sennheiser HD 280s, but now that I’m more experienced I know that I am losing out on some frequencies. I’ve used a friend of mines HD 650s and the difference is huge. They are crystal clear.[/quote]

Sennheissers are better for hi-fi than they are for monitoring, but yes they are amazing[/quote]

Where do you get your info from???

Even the guys here on SA use them.

Take a look at the reviews here for starters http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HD650/

um because they are audiophile headphones…the opposite of reference/monitoring, also i’ve heard them and they’re colored compared to my reference speakers and heasdphones

Well, I could agree with you, but then we’d both be wrong. :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree the AKG’s are great, but in my opinion the Sennheisers provide a clearer and flatter response.

No offense Quincy. :slight_smile:

HD 600s

It’s all preference, he just needs to hear them both

Its not all preference.

I have 280 Pros and 600s and the 280s just dont sound accurate. The 600s sound like my speakers (with a bit less bass extension).

I guess once you get to a certain level there is less difference between makes.

Sennheisers are actually well known for being designed for Audiophiles…

However, that does not necessarily mean that they are not good for Music Production, Mixing and Monitoring…

I find a good website to use to compare headphones is headphone.com, it has a graph feature which lets you compare the different headphones in different areas like Impedence, Frequency Response, Harmonic Distortion.

Graph:

Build A Graph – Headphones.com

So you can see that the HD650’s actually have a very good response curve.

Personally I just purchased the Shure SRH840’s, they have very good impedence (actually sound quite good on my mobile) and the most important thing for me was a decent soundstage on a closed back headphone as I want to use it in the house without annoying my family as well as on the bus to Uni and back.

[quote]MistroPain (22/03/2012)[hr]Sennheisers are actually well known for being designed for Audiophiles…

However, that does not necessarily mean that they are not good for Music Production, Mixing and Monitoring…

I find a good website to use to compare headphones is headphone.com, it has a graph feature which lets you compare the different headphones in different areas like Impedence, Frequency Response, Harmonic Distortion.

Graph:

Build A Graph – Headphones.com

So you can see that the HD650’s actually have a very good response curve.

Personally I just purchased the Shure SRH840’s, they have very good impedence (actually sound quite good on my mobile) and the most important thing for me was a decent soundstage on a closed back headphone as I want to use it in the house without annoying my family as well as on the bus to Uni and back.[/quote]

exactly what i was saying