When it's time to choose

Hi everyone,

here is my question (and below my current knowledge / experience) : I want to switch to Ableton live or Cubase… but wich one ?

So, to answer that question, I guess you need informations of who I am, what I do, what I know…

I own : FLStudio, Several VST (Toxic, Morphine & Poizone), Reason 3.5, and I bought EWQL Composer’s collection.

My experience : I’m a pianist (hobby, 7 years of piano), and I work in IT (so computers are not something I fear a lot :-))

What I plan to do : Electronic music & Classical music

Main experience on DAW : Impulse tracker (long time ago), Reason, FLStudio (for now)

Why do I wan’t to change : FLStudio is a great programm when it comes to do “pattern” based music. But when it comes to melody… I feel quite limited. If I have a melody I wan’t to decline 5 different ways, I have 5 different patterns in a long long vertical list to choose from… and it become really annoying finding the pattern you want to use in the end (Sometimes I have hundreds of pattern to find the one I want’ from). I’d like a more traditionnal way of sequencing the music “here’s what ‘that’ instrument is going to play”)

First thought : I was going to invest in Cubase 5, I felt this was the most powerfull and “professionnal” tool. While doing my homework, I’ve founded sonic academy and noticed that the majority of the tutorials where done in Ableton (there must be a reason for that).

Then I tried to find informations on Ableton and Cubase… why one or other ?

Additionnal questions :

• Do all the tutorials on SonicAcademy can be done with Ableton Live 8 (or do you have to buy “suite”) ?
  • Do someone here is using EWQL Collection with Ableton… any problem ? (I saw Worldbuilder was unsupported by Ableton…)

Thanks a lot for your help.

EDIT: Obvious fact - Once the choice is made… I’ll probably be a new subscriber here :slight_smile:

my first thought is that if you are used to making tracks in FL then Ableton would be the best choice as you will be used to writing in clips and ableton does this in the session view, you also mention that you would like a more traditional way of sequencing which ableton will also provide you in the arrange view. imo its the best of both worlds and would be a much easier transition for you.

Thx for your reply.

With Ableton, is it possible to export scores ? (mainly for classical music… when I’d like to ask advices to my piano teacher)

not sure on that one, although i’m not 100% sure that cubase does this, i know that logic has very good options for that sort of thing but thats a mac only option

And could anybody tell me wich package of Ableton I should buy to get the most profit from Sonic Academy ? Live 8 or tutorials expect us to have “Suite” ?

Thx again

I used to use Cubase SX 3 but then moved to Ableton at Christmas 08. Haven’t looked back since.

lol it really confuses me with live because there are two different versions of all of them.

Ableton Live 8 Suit Boxed

Ableton Live 8 Suit Download

Ableton Live 8 Boxed

Ableton Live 8 Download

then there are the lite versions and now intro :crazy:

i think how ever the version boxed/download only difference is the samples they come with Live Suit Boxed comes with 40+ gig of samples (not that you’ll ever use them) and the Download Version is only 1.4 gig as a complete download.

the difference between suit and live are the instruments that come packed with it, personally i think your best option would be

Ableton Live 8 Download and Sylenth, this is something that sonic academy will be using for a large percentage of the tutorials, i think if you get in contact with tommyt another member of the forum he is trying to organize a group buy of sylenth so it will be a lot cheaper

Suit comes with all the extra instruments but you ARE paying a hella lot more for them, you have to ask yourself really if you’re going to use them.

Have i used them? No.

I dont think it was mentioned, but Cubase is more of your traditional DAW where Ableton was originally made as a live performance tool (hence ableton LIVE:)). So this might influence your decision.

Ableton is very much an up and coming music production platform on top of its already solid Live performance platform. More and more pros are turning to it for production for its ability to quickly lay down ideas and its ease of use. Eventually though, I believe that it will be a standard for production and will rival Logic and Pro Tools for its production value (although it is amazing even now).

Which to choose? Depends.

Since you have FL already, you might already have some VST’s that you like to use. If this is the case, you might not need the Suite Version. The Suite one has a bunch of instruments already included (multiple subractive, FM, and modeling synths, as well as a couple samplers) to get you going (not to mention presets, if you use them). However, personally, I would not go below the Live version. It would be just Live or Suite version that I would buy.

[quote]

Ableton Live 8 Download and Sylenth, this is something that sonic academy will be using for a large percentage of the tutorials, i think if you get in contact with tommyt another member of the forum he is trying to organize a group buy of sylenth so it will be a lot cheaper[/quote]

Thank you, that’s a crystal clear answer :slight_smile:

I’ll try to get in touch with tommyt then !

Thx again for all your answers !

[quote]howiegroove (19/02/2010)[hr]I dont think it was mentioned, but Cubase is more of your traditional DAW where Ableton was originally made as a live performance tool (hence ableton LIVE:)). So this might influence your decision.

Ableton is very much an up and coming music production platform on top of its already solid Live performance platform. More and more pros are turning to it for production for its ability to quickly lay down ideas and its ease of use. Eventually though, I believe that it will be a standard for production and will rival Logic and Pro Tools for its production value (although it is amazing even now).

Since you have FL already, you might already have some VST’s that you like to use. If this is the case, you might not need the Suite Version. The Suite one has a bunch of instruments already included (multiple subractive, FM, and modeling synths, as well as a couple samplers) to get you going (not to mention presets, if you use them). However, personally, I would not go below the Live version. It would be just Live or Suite version that I would buy.[/quote]

yeah i’d already mentioned about being a traditional DAW and ableton is very much that way if you use it in the arrange view mode

[quote]jon_fisher (19/02/2010)[hr][quote]howiegroove (19/02/2010)[hr]I dont think it was mentioned, but Cubase is more of your traditional DAW where Ableton was originally made as a live performance tool (hence ableton LIVE:)). So this might influence your decision.

Since you have FL already, you might already have some VST’s that you like to use. If this is the case, you might not need the Suite Version. The Suite one has a bunch of instruments already included (multiple subractive, FM, and modeling synths, as well as a couple samplers) to get you going (not to mention presets, if you use them). However, personally, I would not go below the Live version. It would be just Live or Suite version that I would buy.[/quote]

yeah i’d already mentioned about being a traditional DAW and ableton is very much that way if you use it in the arrange view mode[/quote]

Fine, then delete everything I said and say “its good for live performance”

Bunch of typing for nothing! :wink:

[quote]howiegroove (19/02/2010)[hr][quote]jon_fisher (19/02/2010)[hr][quote]howiegroove (19/02/2010)[hr]I dont think it was mentioned, but Cubase is more of your traditional DAW where Ableton was originally made as a live performance tool (hence ableton LIVE:)). So this might influence your decision.

yeah i’d already mentioned about being a traditional DAW and ableton is very much that way if you use it in the arrange view mode[/quote]

Bunch of typing for nothing! ;)[/quote]

LMAO

[quote]howiegroove (19/02/2010)[hr][quote]jon_fisher (19/02/2010)[hr][quote]howiegroove (19/02/2010)[hr]I dont think it was mentioned, but Cubase is more of your traditional DAW where Ableton was originally made as a live performance tool (hence ableton LIVE:)). So this might influence your decision.

By the way ive got stuck into max i have to agree howie its hot on the heals of the above mentioned and for live performance there isnt any others that touch it  for me personally ableton is top notch for ideas and  it the muts nutz when playing live ie the ability to read a crowd pull out and and mix your loops live on the spot is a god send theyre not as solid as logic yet but like you i think that in the near future they will become the standard!

[quote]howiegroove (19/02/2010)[hr]

It’s always good to know people agreed on something :slight_smile: Made my mind on choosing Live 8…

Thx again everyone.

[quote]mekhor (19/02/2010)[hr][quote]howiegroove (19/02/2010)[hr]

It’s always good to know people agreed on something :slight_smile: Made my mind on choosing Live 8…

Thx again everyone.[/quote]

no problems and welcome to the forum

you’re welcome good sir!

What they said and welcome aboard dude !:slight_smile:

mekhor,

i would have to go with ableton also, ive tryed reason, logic , and cubase and feel like live works the best for me.

welcome to the site:)

Thx everyone… this forum was the best place to know for sure I will get the best advices ever :slight_smile:

From now, I’m also a “sonic academy” subscriber… can’t wait to have access to the videos with my new Ableton Live :slight_smile: