White Noise Tips etc

hey, i always use white noise as a downsweep or even percussion, and wanted to know if anyone has any tips to make it sound better, because iv noticed artists like swedish house mafia etc use it, but sunds sooo much better that just a simple white noise…

i add full sustain and a bit of release,automate the volume down, auto pan it, and add sidechain,hi pass filter, reverb and delay… bit of EQ too, any other tips? distortion maybe?

nobody interestin in dis no? :L

I’ve seen Vids of people putting a Tremelo effect on it… which has a bit of panning type effect. Parameters dealing with modulation are automated towards a peak.

Chorus is another one.

Mixing Noise with a String / Pad or other sounds. Layering them up to give a bit of depth.

Just personally… I’m not a massive fan of them myself.

Use them a bit, but more as a kinda suck or zip before the next section. No big TV exploding type stuff for me. They do sound good… but too much is a bad thing… especially when its the exact same noise riser thing in each section. Gets a bit boring.

Read a Thread somewhere else once, where it was commented that they are the Snare Rolls of the 00’s. Great point.

Of course they sound good. But be aware that they’re all over the place. The more unique you can make it the better.

I would like to know how to do these as well.

Say what you will, but Swedish House Mafia is blowing up the dance scene and this is one of their techniques so I wouldn’t be quick to say it’s overused. I know you’re just stating your opinion and that’s ligit, but I hope this thread doesn’t get written off because I think there are alot of us that really do like this style and want to learn some of the techniques.

Saying nowt but positive messages there Mate.

Actually… while I think of it…

Assign some controls from your synth to your Midi Controller & play with the parameters live as the 8 bar Note or whatever is playing.

Never know what you come up with. Drawing in automation can be so robotic. Nothing like some feeling or a happy accident.

Helpful post No.2

More please people.

I just did a 5 page piece on white noise that should be in one of the music making mags over the next 2 months or so.

Try adding massive reverb to a sweep, and then recording the reverb into its own channel, and then reversing it etc.

You could also have an lfo on the cut off and resonance or pan, then have an envelope modulate that so that it speeds up over time… or maybe trying a band pass fiter insteat of low/high pass.

Lots of options really

[quote]bangthedj (30/08/2010)[hr]I just did a 5 page piece on white noise that should be in one of the music making mags over the next 2 months or so.

Try adding massive reverb to a sweep, and then recording the reverb into its own channel, and then reversing it etc.

You could also have an lfo on the cut off and resonance or pan, then have an envelope modulate that so that it speeds up over time… or maybe trying a band pass fiter insteat of low/high pass.

Lots of options really
[/quote]

What magazine so we can look for it?

ICN, I know you mean no disrespect I just want to keep this thread going because I’m interested in it as well.

Nothin but love bro:)

Cool man :slight_smile:

More tips!

some effects are a bit robotic but these are just basic start points and I’m Going to make some more videos to build on these

[quote]

What magazine so we can look for it?

[/quote]

Computer Music. Not sure which issue exactly as I just submitted it last week.

Whack a sidechain on it to give it a pumping build, sounds much nicer.

But yeah basically it’s all about your EQing and effects. It may be a case that the white noise you’re using just isn’t nice to start with.

Cool Rob… To add a little on to that as well that I saw somewhere else - Hope you dont mind:

Take the sidechain off during a small break or before next section.

These are some great tips. I know I didn’t start this thread, but you guys really helped sort some things out for me.

I’ve just been using fx samples from Rise by Push Button Bang and mangling them to what I need, but I never truly get exactly what I’m looking for.

Seems so simple watching the tutorial and leaves me feeling like “duh”.

if your using  live an over looked button is the freeze button on lives reverb … it gives some wicked results if you record to an audio track !!!:wink:

Thats a great idea Egg.

You’re right, you can get some fckin mad **** out of the freeze/hold buttons.

I find if a sample a loud fart it sounds like white noise but with a lot more body - you don’t need much reverb as there is a lot there alreay, some delays spice it up a bit a add a bit of stereo as its from a mono source, unless you buddy up with someone and fart either side of the mic, havent tried that one yet but I’m it would sound good :wink:

I think the SideChain is one of the best effects with white noise, and in live, if u use the autopan effect with the Dizziness preset, you get a great sound that you release aload of artists use…

[quote]gofunk (30/08/2010)[hr]I find if a sample a loud fart it sounds like white noise but with a lot more body - you don’t need much reverb as there is a lot there alreay, some delays spice it up a bit a add a bit of stereo as its from a mono source, unless you buddy up with someone and fart either side of the mic, havent tried that one yet but I’m it would sound good ;)[/quote]

The Edinburgh Curry houses must love you :stuck_out_tongue:

Do it with a couple of SM58’s… Condensers dont like moisture.