Who needs monitors!

Anybody had any experience with the Focusrite VRM box?

http://www.focusrite.com/products/audio_interfaces/vrm_box/

Claims to emulate genelec 1031a’s and others on your headphones … hhhnmmm … really? :doze:

It’ll just be an EQ device.

Yeah I’m guessing it does what using Room EQ wizard and EQ techniques would do, but automatically for a couple of hundred squid!

I think Bang did a review on his site

[quote]slender (29/09/2011)[hr]I think Bang did a review on his site[/quote]

Tidy like, will have to read that one! :slight_smile:

[quote]gavisthename (29/09/2011)[hr][quote]slender (29/09/2011)[hr]I think Bang did a review on his site[/quote]

Tidy like, will have to read that one! :)[/quote]

I do miss hearing people saying tidy - I still do now

Maybe you could try and start a movement in ol’ london town :slight_smile:

[quote]gavisthename (29/09/2011)[hr]Anybody had any experience with the Focusrite VRM box?

http://www.focusrite.com/products/audio_interfaces/vrm_box/

Claims to emulate genelec 1031a’s and others on your headphones … hhhnmmm … really? :doze:[/quote]

i’ve been looking to grab 1.

I have VRM through my Saffire soundcard. It is not just EQ, but also blending of the left and right channel (to give a more realistic stereo image). I also think they have a reverb that recreates the different monitors decay times across the frequency spectrum. I think that is what makes it possible to really recognize the sound of the different monitors. In my opinion it is not a replacement for good monitors, but it can be used as a reference when mixing. Anyway that is how I use it.

[quote]ottovideo (29/09/2011)[hr]I have VRM through my Saffire soundcard. It is not just EQ, but also blending of the left and right channel (to give a more realistic stereo image). I also think they have a reverb that recreates the different monitors decay times across the frequency spectrum. I think that is what makes it possible to really recognize the sound of the different monitors. In my opinion it is not a replacement for good monitors, but it can be used as a reference when mixing. Anyway that is how I use it.[/quote]

Sounds like a sweet soundcard you got there Holmes!!

What Saffire model is it?

It is the Saffire Pro 24DSP. I’m not sure but I think it only works as a dongle for the VRM software (same as their VRM box). The Mixcontrol software that comes with the soundcard is pretty good and the routing features are supposedly quite powerful, but also quite complicated to figure out (the VRM is however very simple and easy to use).

BTW I think the VRM uses some of the same tricks as the Redline 112 dB VST: 112dB Redline Monitor - I havn’t tried it so I can’t compare.