Why style is so important in Music Production

I was reflecting today in why i feel lately confused in what i want to Produce. we learned many generes of EDM in here. and we learned to produce pretty much everything.

but in reality there is so many PROS that just focus on perfecting one style , and this leads them to create something unique and original sound. IMO this helps to be successful.

I also understand that most successful artist copied someone else style . but

there is so many people doing the same music style that others already mastered, why we dont stick to a gen ere and branch it from there.

maybe having a monthly tutorial with SA would help us go that way using the same style. ?

whats your thoughts about it ?

I think it’s too easy to get caught up in thinking too much about the whole thing.

Just create, you’ll find that even whilst you’re creating a known style, you’re own ‘personality’ and creative touches will be added, and thus you’re own ‘style’ develops.

Also the better you become at producing and the longer you do it, the more you find you end up making music your own.

Imo the reason “style” becomes such an important part of the artist is because the people that buy their records expect certain things when listening to their favourite artists, either a certain groove, feel, sound maybe even arrangements. It’s what make’s an artist original.

some artist will have several names for different styles that they produce for the reasons that people will follow an artist that makes what they like but if he’s known for making several styles he may be seen as a hit and miss artists, where as producing different styles under different names makes it easier to follow the sound you like.

For instance Alex calver has

Alex Calver for techno

Calvatron (spelling) for House

another name for Nrg and Hardhouse i think

Just make what u love! Simples :wink:

Yeah just make what you feel f€/k the whole genre thing! Let some other mug do that hehe

Till this day i have not finished a track because of thinking too much about my style :confused: sad huh :confused:

[quote]Subject 1 (14/11/2010)[hr]Till this day i have not finished a track because of thinking too much about my style :confused: sad huh :/[/quote]

dude common…fcuk the style! do what you feel is good, nothing else matters

trying to be something that you are not isn’t going to work in long term

i wanna see some music from you next week :stuck_out_tongue:

I also wanna see some music from myself next week! hahah

let’s do it!

[quote]seanl (14/11/2010)[hr][quote]Subject 1 (14/11/2010)[hr]Till this day i have not finished a track because of thinking too much about my style :confused: sad huh :/[/quote]

let’s do it!

[/quote]

Its not that lol its just that i love so many styles of music that i start of with an IDM track then it transforms into Trip Hop Into Dubstep then it gets dancy Then bump the BPM and it becomes DnB then i guet my guitar distort it and it becomes a metal Riff lol i just have to sit down and decide what i want to really make lol well i guess i can say im good at many things :smiley: but yeah ive set myself to start on a free EP that i want to work on alot starting monday

[quote]seanl (14/11/2010)[hr][quote]Subject 1 (14/11/2010)[hr]Till this day i have not finished a track because of thinking too much about my style :confused: sad huh :/[/quote]

let’s do it!

[/quote]

+1

i just vary it between tracks. how I set my “style” is my BPM.

If I set 140 im doin trance or 128 for house. I do that when I am making my drums…the style is kinda already set for me while I am workin on the track.

From there…

Don’t give yourself limits for what sound goes where. I love to throw some trancy melodies into an electro track or some really distorted bass into a trance track. The sounds you make define your style. you do need to kind of pick a type of track your making. that all boils back down to your BPM. but if you wanna throw some dubstep sounds into an electro track or even a trance track then just DO IT. use your ears! do what you love to do. its that simple!