Wide vocal effect

hi guys…
im trying to learn how to create the real wide vocal effect you hear on almost all pop tracks on the radio… they get it so wide it sounds like the “voices” are coming from outside of the speakers…

i know the Haas effect trick where you duplicate a track, hard pan it opposite directions. delay it on one side by 15ms and the other side 30ms, but this still isnt giving the desired wide effect…? what am i missing? i also detune them by 12cents. but still not wide enough. it just sounds like ive put a very short room reverb on them… and that dont sound good.

please help. if you know how to do it, them reveal all… if you dont know but think you know where i mgiht be able to find out (im willing to pay… yes its got that bad… lol) please post the web address of where i can buy a tutorial. :wink:

many thanks. 

Do you mean the “auto tune effect” have you got some YouTube examples?

no no not the auto tune effect, thats easy. its basically doubling a vocal but the “doubled” tracks are played extremely wide.

here is the most perfect example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLBSyhTyIYk

basically everytime they sing “love is gooooone” in the track

now that the love is gone (0.15)

cant find the reason to keep holdin on…

now that the love is gone

love is goooooooonnnneeee  (you can hear it especially at this point)

please help!!

Try these options:

• Adding chorus
  • Double, triple or even quad up the vocals and delay them slightly off each other
  • Slightly detune the extra vocal duplicates.
  • Pan one hard left, one hard right, one mid left, one mid right (delay some slightly off each other to avoid phasing)
  • Reverb
  • Delay

Or a mixture of the above.

thank you for the suggestions!

would you say it would be better to apply these effects as inserts or sends? the chorus effects and things

Play around mate, it’s generally said that you only need to put effects in the send if you’re planning on using the same effect on more than one channel but it doesn’t always have to be the case. Using effects on the send can work much similar to how the compressor works in the send during parallel compression in that you can create a different effect than you would had it just been on the insert.

i will try these when i get home, but what abvout the reverbs… sends or inserts? i spose using them as sends would mask how seperate the vocals (in panning terms) are and defeat the object of the wide pans.

[quote]jpgetty2win (16/05/2010)[hr]thank you for the suggestions!

would you say it would be better to apply these effects as inserts or sends? the chorus effectsand things[/quote]

Inserts, not sends.

When you do vocal processing and want to get doubling, you need to have the singer sing multiple takes. If you just straight double the vocal you will have phasing issues. By doing double takes, it guarantees that no singer can sing the exact same twice.

Thats how you double. Stay away from the effects. This is all that’s needed to get this effect, unless you are actually trying to get some crazy shiz going on.

[quote]howiegroove (17/05/2010)[hr][quote]jpgetty2win (16/05/2010)[hr]thank you for the suggestions!

would you say it would be better to apply these effects as inserts or sends? the chorus effectsand things[/quote]

Inserts, not sends.

When you do vocal processing and want to get doubling, you need to have the singer sing multiple takes. If you just straight double the vocal you will have phasing issues. By doing double takes, it guarantees that no singer can sing the exact same twice.

Thats how you double. Stay away from the effects. This is all that’s needed to get this effect, unless you are actually trying to get some crazy shiz going on.[/quote]

Yeah this is a common practice actually, also to get the singer to sing the same but at a higher key or octave (if possible) works well too.

However if you mearly have parts ie: for a remix request/comp or just from some vocal samples you’ve heard then that’s when the effects will need to come into play :slight_smile:

Remember you wont get phasing if you delay the duplicate vocal from the vocal 1 as the waves will start and end at different times, it’s similar to synthesis in that respect, have a look at Phils synth saw tutorial and watch how he adjusts each apart from each other, the same can be done with vocals.

its not uncommon for pop songs to have 32 layers of vocals…

a lot of R&B producers use Vocalign.

its a plugin for protools that was original used in films for matching voice overdubs… but can obviously be used for vocal parts as well… thats how the top R&B vocals sound so tight and huge.

just checked… they now have an audio unit version… ive got the trial downloading now.

[quote]phil johnston (17/05/2010)[hr]its not uncommon for pop songs to have 32 layers of vocals…

its a plugin for protools that was original used in films for matching voice overdubs… but can obviously be used for vocal parts as well… thats how the top R&B vocals sound so tight and huge.

just checked… they now have an audio unit version… ive got the trial downloading now.[/quote]

Phil, is there any chance you can do a tech tip on Vocalign?

[quote]phil johnston (17/05/2010)[hr]its not uncommon for pop songs to have 32 layers of vocals…

just checked… they now have an audio unit version… ive got the trial downloading now.[/quote]wow that is alot… lol 
someone hit on it about only having one take. for whatever reason (only have the single track for remix/the singer couldnt pitch match her first take etc… ;) ) so i guess ill have to use the tricks, id obviously prefer the human option, but needs must. vocalign sounds interesting. dont think they do it for cubase yet.

[quote]jpgetty2win (17/05/2010)[hr][quote]phil johnston (17/05/2010)[hr]its not uncommon for pop songs to have 32 layers of vocals…

just checked… they now have an audio unit version… ive got the trial downloading now.[/quote]wow that is alot… lol

someone hit on it about only having one take. for whatever reason (only have the singletrack for remix/the singer couldnt pitch match her first take etc… ;)) so i guess ill have to use the tricks, id obviously prefer the human option, but needs must. vocalign sounds interesting. dont think they do it for cubase yet.[/quote]

It’s a AU. It should work in Cubase.