Will Ableton Live Into Suffice for HTSL?

I would love to subscribe to Sonic Academy and work through some of these full tutorials. I notice almost all of the HTSL series are done in Ableton Live. My question is: Is the new Ableton Live Intro version full-featured enough to work through these tutorials?

Thanks!

It should work out fine. Most of the tutorials use plugins for the synths (namely Sylenth). You cant group tracks in intro (but thats ok, you can just bus everything the long way…no worries on that). It sucks that you can only use 12 audio EFX per project.

Now that I look at it… Could you get by with it… Yes. If you are serious about music and what to add some power without limitation… Get the Live 8 version. You dont need the Suite version by any means… so. I mean, yeah… It is $300 more for the Live version, but I feel that if you are serious about music making, I would at least get Live 8.

You are always able to do a free 14 day fully functional trial to see if doing it is really for you. Check it out…

Thanks, Howie. I guess my main concern were the effects Looper, Vocoder, Multiband Dynamics, Overdrive, and Frequency Shifter. None of these come with Ableton Live Intro. Are they used in the Sonic Academy HTSL Tutorials? Can they be worked around?

You’re right, it’s worth it to get the full version. I don’t have the budget for it, and I need to see just how really in to Ableton I am before I lay down $450 U.S. for Live 8. Ableton Live Into seems like a really value-oriented way to do it - $99 U.S. I would love to get Intro and then sign up for Sonic Academy, especially the HTSL courses. I just don’t want to be disappointed in having a version of Ableton Live which doesn’t match the results one gets from working these tutorials.

BTW I use the $450 price since I would want the boxed version, not the download version.

I’m sure everyone here has had a look at this, but here’s the Feature Comparison Chart:

Compare Live editions | Ableton

Will look forward to hearing some additional opinions on this. Thanks in advance!

You can make do with intro, but I would not get the box set. I’ll be honest, I never use the stuff that really comes with Ableton (in the sense of the drum collection etc.). I use the crap out of the effects and such. What irks me is the limitations of tracks and such. I have 54 tracks of audio right now on a remix that I’m working on and i have numerous tracks with effect racks upward of 10 effects chained together. I dont think you could do that with the intro version. Personally, I would save the money and get the download version. Thats just me though. Try out the 14 day trail though of Live before anything without the limitations and just save up a little longer.

Okay, thanks. Actually I view the box set as study material. Sort of like $100 for a college textbook with 7 gigs of up-to-the-minute musical styles, plus a full working version (albeit with significant restrictions) of Ableton Live. It will be worth it to me to investigate what can be done with Ableton.

I’ve wasted $100 bucks on many more stupid things in my life :wink:

But I appreciate your input. I like to “dip my toe in the shallow end”. Some people like to dive in the deep end. The last time I did that was with Cubase 5 Studio for $300. No demo. Realized I couldn’t run Logic on a Mac Mini. Took it back. Bought Cubase without demoing it (I still don’t think a Cubase 5 demo is available). Not sorry, but wish I had the $300 back. Would have spent it on Live and then I would own Live 8 Full Version :slight_smile:

[quote]rick_weston (11/24/2009)[hr]Okay, thanks. Actually I view the box set as study material. Sort of like $100 for a college textbook with 7 gigs of up-to-the-minute musical styles, plus a full working version (albeit with significant restrictions) of Ableton Live. It will be worth it to me to investigate what can be done with Ableton.

I’ve wasted $100 bucks on many more stupid things in my life :wink:

But I appreciate your input. I like to “dip my toe in the shallow end”. Some people like to dive in the deep end. The last time I did that was with Cubase 5 Studio for $300. No demo. Realized I couldn’t run Logic on a Mac Mini. Took it back. Bought Cubase without demoing it (I still don’t think a Cubase 5 demo is available). Not sorry, but wish I had the $300 back. Would have spent it on Live and then I would own Live 8 Full Version :)[/quote]

I run logic on a mac mini and very well too i can easily rack up over 200 logic plug-ins in one project before it gives up the ghost