Windows 7

Anyone installed this yet?

Had any issues with any VSTs or plugins etc?

I’ve heard it’s wicked fast with Ableton so I’m going to have a crack.

u mean a cr**k ?:wink:

i think we gotta be carefull about wot we say here…

OSX

OSX

Dudes, microsoft have nicked most of the good stuff from OSX.

So I installed, it all looked pretty but it was thrashing my CPU. I turned off all the fancy features and it’s a little better now. Ableton starts quicker than XP and the VST’s I’ve used so far (Kontakt and Sylenth) seem to work ok.

Will do more testing tonight and report back.

they can take all the features they want from osx but it will still be a windows based op system and no matter what they change build, re- build, streamline the system will still suck in comparison.

if you really don’t want to spend money on a apple machine build a hackintosh.

well I’ve used both OSX and windows 7 and I’ve nothing bad to tell about windows 7 , it’s truly better than vista in my opinion , mac OSX didn’t impress me more , I think they’re both great , once again , having a mac rather than a pc doesn’t make much difference , it’s all about how you use your computer.

So if you’re careful with what you do ( you don’t download crap with viruses and your system is clean ) , Windows 7 is good

I use windows7, very good indeedy

I prefer OSX over windows. Its easier to use, and never crashes. Ever.

This could be the reason the vast majority of artists and music professionals use Macs. If Microsoft wants to get it right, they need to quit building junk, ripping people off, and build a new OS from the ground up.

This is only an opinion.

[quote]having a mac rather than a pc doesn’t make much difference[/quote]

How many professional djs do you know use ableton on PCs when playing out. Stability is the difference.

MACs are horribly over-priced but you pay for the OSX which I personally think urinates all over windows. The only good thing about windows is that it’s constant problem’s keep’s me in a job :slight_smile:

Install 100 programs on a mac, uninstall them and it runs like it did from day 1. Now try that on a PC and see what happens.

Windows XP in all honesty though was a good platform when kept clean.

I have windows 7 running on my mac and to be fare it does look pretty good and runs well but I suppose anything would with 8-cores.

rant over!

What die hard Mac people always forget is that OSX is written for a specific set of hardware, PC’s can have a huge combo of different hardware attached / inside it.

Whilst I’m in agreement that OSX is the dogs danglies, try supporting as much as a windows box and see if it still runs as stable!

[quote]bouffont (7/8/2009)[hr]What die hard Mac people always forget is that OSX is written for a specific set of hardware, PC’s can have a huge combo of different hardware attached / inside it.

Whilst I’m in agreement that OSX is the dogs danglies, try supporting as much as a windows box and see if it still runs as stable![/quote]

i really don’t see how that makes a difference to be fair. imacs, mac minis, pro books, power macs all have different hardware inside and they all still need drivers for anything thats plugged into it. but as said before osx can have drivers installed and uninstalled all year round with out so much as a blink. xp would piss and moan if you installed and uninstalled 10 bits of software in one day.

plus you will still need to defrag the windows machine clean all the crap off and spend half your life updating your anti virus (although i personally think anti viruses and firewalls are over rated)

actually i think its unfair for me to cast judgment on software that i’ve not yet used.

We are about to order a new PC which is speced for Hackintosh

2.66 Quad

4gb ram

22 screen

less than £600

similar spec to the bottom end mac pro (£1800)

planning on a dual boot Windows 7 And Leopard

normally youd be better off with dual core for music but the Quad will help with running the screen grab software we use.

Best of Both Worlds

1 Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3 P45/ICH10 Socket 775 Motherboard - PCI-E 2.0(x16), DDR2 1066/667/800, SATA II, SATA RAID, ATX £87.34

2 500GB Seagate Barracuda SATA2 16MB 7200RPM - ST3500418AS / ST3500620AS £84.98

1 Cooler Master Elite 330 Black & Silver Midi Case with 460W PSU - Tool free design, Meshed front panel, washable air filter £57.01

1 Corsair 4GB PC2-5300 C5 Value Select (2 x 2GB) - VS4GBKIT667D2, 667MHz, 5-5-5-15, Lifetime Warranty £37.89

1 Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400, Yorkfield Core, S775, 2.66GHz, 1333MHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 7.5x, 95W, - BX80580Q8400, Intel® Wide Dynamic Execution, Intel® Intelligent Power Capability £137.05

1 nVidia GeForce 9500GT 512MB PCI-E Passive Cooling - 550MHz Core, 800MHz GDDR2, DVI-I,VGA £42.49

1 22" LG Widescreen LCD Monitor Silver DVI - - W2242T-SF, 5ms, 8000:1 Contrast Ratio £121.84

Apples products are horribly over-priced. So much that I think Hackintosh’s will bring there price down soon as the benchmarks on those things are shockingly impressive.

The amount of money apple charges for screens and ram is daylight robbery.

I would definitively have considered a Hackintosh if I had known about them when i bought my mac pro. I got a pretty good deal on it though so cant complain.

i know a few people that have hackintosh systems and they really work well so unless apple decide to bring the price down i can see a whole lot of people going down this route.

I am very interested in the hype of hackintosh’s,

I am considering doing what you are doing (phil), and I like the hardware that you have listed… Did you consult a guide for your parts list? If so could you please give me the link?

I am aware of Hackintosh.org, but I was hoping to find a particular link that could walk me through the process.

Cheers!