A really good compressor to buy.(vst)

[quote]caliphono1200 (21/11/2010)[hr]thanks for replies, i think i like the fact that the logic compressor has circuit type selector. i see that in the SA toot’s on compression that they used alot of the logic compressor, i assume it was becuase ableton didnt have the circuit types.

still trying to master the art of compression to be honest. any other vst’s people can suggest? the glue looks cool, but i think i dont like the needle vu meter.[/quote]

VU meter is crucial in any soft compressor! what were they thinking? :wink:

btw…Ableton compressor also have different ccircuit types!

the compressor in ableton is just fine. work with it. you’ll get the results!!

[quote]willidaniel (21/11/2010)[hr]the compressor in ableton is just fine. work with it. you’ll get the results!![/quote]

+1

making music is about choosing the right sounds especially with drums, compression makes a minimal difference, unless you go crazy analog or buy expensive waves stuff. …Whether you work with native or external plugins, you just cant tell the difference at this level. I have tinkered around with ableton a weebit and think that compressor is really good otherwise if u are really looking to invest, cytomic glue all the way for 100 bucks…

[quote]howiegroove (21/11/2010)[hr]

So funny though, Roben has become a gear snob! :D[/quote]

Damn straight! Defo want to collect up a nice collection of hardware when i get some money together. Want a Moog Little Phatty (amongst others) as well as hardware compressor (no idea what’s good though but i know the best ones are ridiculous price range).

Will be so sweet. :slight_smile:

[quote]Roben (21/11/2010)[hr][quote]howiegroove (21/11/2010)[hr]

So funny though, Roben has become a gear snob! :D[/quote]

Damn straight! Defo want to collect up a nice collection of hardware when i get some money together. Want a Moog Little Phatty (amongst others) as well as hardware compressor (no idea what’s good though but i know the best ones are ridiculous price range).

Will be so sweet. :)[/quote]

Summit Audio makes some great gear. I have a little phatty and 4 moogerfoogers as well as 3 moog pedals and a moog multi pedal. They sound amazing. My modular is coming on Wednesday and my Juno comes back on Tuesday. It really depends on what you want to use the compressor for. I have a Neve 1073 clone and the Summit Audio compressor in my vocal chain. I have another compressor for my drums, which is a DBX compressor. Depending on how much money you have, you should check out Empirical Labs Distressors. Those are the bees knees of compressors. There is a “Nuke” setting on it too! Sound absolutely amazing and their list of users is impressive.

Well actualy i was really interested in a hardware compressor that adds a nice warmth, kinda like a vintage warmer i guess.

I’ve seen in some videos before of some producers swearing by their hardware compressor and i love the idea of pushing my sound through the hardware and manually turning the nobs.

I know that software pretty much replicates a lot of hardware these days and I know that hardware isn’t really essential, but I dunno, just something about it really attracts me to it.

Thanks for the suggestions by the way, will look at those defo :slight_smile:

[quote]Roben (21/11/2010)[hr]Well actualy i was really interested in a hardware compressor that adds a nice warmth, kinda like a vintage warmer i guess.

I’ve seen in some videos before of some producers swearing by their hardware compressor and i love the idea of pushing my sound through the hardware and manually turning the nobs.

I know that software pretty much replicates a lot of hardware these days and I know that hardware isn’t really essential, but I dunno, just something about it really attracts me to it.

Thanks for the suggestions by the way, will look at those defo :)[/quote]

I’ve got external hardware too moog filter…in my iphone :stuck_out_tongue:

If you want a hardware compressor that doesn’t break the bank, go for alesis 3630. I have a couple of them and can’t fault them. Check eBay!

Saying that I hardly use them now since moving to ableton. I mainly use the in built compressor now

if you want warmth, look for tube compressors.

[quote]seanl (21/11/2010)[hr][quote][b]

I’ve got external hardware too moog filter…in my iphone :P[/quote]

I’ve seen this!! I had considered getting it, i know it’s not quite ‘the same’ as a real hardware kit, but it looked like a cool app :slight_smile:

Have you tried it out properly yet? What’s your thoughts?

what are you talking about? everything i said was hardware gear. I have everything listed except for the distressor and i have a friend that has it and i have heard it as well. can you tell me what you mean?

[quote]howiegroove (21/11/2010)[hr]what are you talking about? everything i said was hardware gear. I have everything listed except for the distressor and i have a friend that has it and i have heard it as well. can you tell me what you mean?[/quote]

Sorry dude it ‘quoted’ you instead.

There was a comment that seanl made about the Moog app on iphone which my reply was too

Anyways, wasn’t a reply to yours sorry H.

Anyone interested in a good free compressor - I’ve been really impressed with Rough rider from Audio Damage - I use it on quite a few things. Makes drums sound super punchy. :slight_smile:

[quote]Roben (21/11/2010)[hr][quote]seanl (21/11/2010)[hr][quote][b]

I’ve seen this!! I had considered getting it, i know it’s not quite ‘the same’ as a real hardware kit, but it looked like a cool app :slight_smile:

Have you tried it out properly yet? What’s your thoughts?[/quote]

I’ve only been playing with the presents…sounds really good actually!

I wish there was a way of hooking it up with a stereo input, for a live sound manipulation!

…but lets see what 4.2 software upgrade brings :smiley:

[quote]seanl (21/11/2010)[hr][quote]Roben (21/11/2010)[hr][quote]seanl (21/11/2010)[hr][quote][b]

I wish there was a way of hooking it up with a stereo input, for a live sound manipulation!

…but lets see what 4.2 software upgrade brings :D[/quote]

Dude it’s not the same as this but it’s a pretty cool music app i found for a good price, i’m loving it right now.

It’s called Xenon. Check it out! Oh and if you haven’t already… get Bebot :wink:

oh and NLogSynth :smiley:

[quote]Mussi81 (21/11/2010)[hr]

alesis 3630. [/quote]

these are good on drums and bits but not great alrounders, still worth owning one for £60-£70 though.

buying hardware for some producers isn’t always about it sounding better, its about sounding different and usually a big price tag is because the unit is rare and getting that sound is from something eles is next to impossible.

[quote]Roben (21/11/2010)[hr][quote]seanl (21/11/2010)[hr][quote]Roben (21/11/2010)[hr][quote]seanl (21/11/2010)[hr][quote][b]

…but lets see what 4.2 software upgrade brings :D[/quote]

Dude it’s not the same as this but it’s a pretty cool music app i found for a good price, i’m loving it right now.

It’s called Xenon. Check it out! Oh and if you haven’t already… get Bebot :wink:

oh and NLogSynth :D[/quote]

thanks man I will check it out!

[quote]Jon_fisher (21/11/2010)[hr][quote]Mussi81 (21/11/2010)[hr]

alesis 3630. [/quote]

these are good on drums and bits but not great alrounders, still worth owning one for £60-£70 though.

buying hardware for some producers isn’t always about it sounding better, its about sounding different and usually a big price tag is because the unit is rare and getting that sound is from something eles is next to impossible.

[/quote]

I think you and I had that discussion of Daft Punk having one in their signal chain.

Tbh i think you need to give the ableton compressor another chance it does everything the logic one does. Also 100 quid for a hardware comp your pretty much limited to behringer which isnt pleasent. If you wana spend a bit check out the waves SSL and Rennaisance series. Really nice compressors.