A really good compressor to buy.(vst)

Tbh mate i worry that you have no idea on how to use a compressor. Going from your original question its like you think the logic comp will give you some sort of magical sound. I question anyone to b able to tell the difference of two identical tracks running through the ableton and logic comps on identical settings. The only compressors you can tell a difference is the more high end comps because they emulate analogue gear which add characteristics to the sound.

[quote]jjdejong0 (22/11/2010)[hr]Tbh mate i worry that you have no idea on how to use a compressor. Going from your original question its like you think the logic comp will give you some sort of magical sound. I question anyone to b able to tell the difference of two identical tracks running through the ableton and logic comps on identical settings. The only compressors you can tell a difference is the more high end comps because they emulate analogue gear which add characteristics to the sound.[/quote]

just trying to get good at compression now was kind of in a fog about it till recently.

sometimes it just seems like i am not getting too much good results form the ableton compressor, but i guess when you totaly master compression then you can get good results out of most compressors.

i was reading a link someone posted about compression before mastering.

it said that you shouldn’t compress your stuff before getting it mastered.

i would think that they mean over all compression of the whole track and not individual tracks within the song right?

[quote]jjdejong0 (22/11/2010)[hr]Tbh mate i worry that you have no idea on how to use a compressor. Going from your original question its like you think the logic comp will give you some sort of magical sound.[/quote]

no i don’t. i know there aren’t many ‘magical’ things in music production

Well you say you know their are no magic bullets in this game but your first question made me wonder… The ableton and logic comps really are the same. Check out the different presets on the ableton compressor so you can see how different compressors are programmed differently for all sorts of tasks. Also youtube has alot of tutorials on compression. The question you have to ask yourself is before you chuck on a compressor on a channel what are you hoping to achieve in using it. Do you want to glue things together, make something punchier, tame some peaks etc etc. Some people seem to just throw on a compressor for the hell of it or because they think they ‘have’ to because thats what the pro’s do. Tbh with the more high end compressors you can just chuck a compressor and not even tweak it but thats because the high end comps are emulating old analogue units and add a nice warmth to the character of the sound. Good example is the SSL bus compressor by waves or UAD etc. Another nice compressor is the fairchild in t racks.

Ableton Compressor = great.

But if you want something different then the PSP Master Comp is on sale until tomorrow (30th Nov) for $99 down from $249. This is a really great transparent compressor, you also get a cut down version to use as a bus compressor.

http://pspaudioware.com/plugins/dynamic_processors/psp_mastercomp/

Review: http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/computers-software/plug-in-fx/mastercomp-21182/review

I got it for $99 a while ago and I really like, but I use the Ableton compressor for almost everything.

How bout Vintage Warmer? Did we all forget that it is a compressor from the get go?

i have two UAD1 cards and got so far UAD fairchild 670 compressor. this is a beast!

its not so cheap but its really good.

check http://www.uaudio.com/

for more!

the glue is awesome. that or ableton. its all i ever seem 2 need.

Yeah the Vintage Warmer is tehnically a multiband compressor but its also heavily a warmth/saturation plug. As for UAD you deff want the Fairchild and the LA-2A. I found the best SSL emulation was the Waves stuff i use the bus Comp on lotsa things it just adds such punch, clarity and warmth to anything. You dont need to even tweak it, this really is a plug you can throw on anything and it will instantly sound better. Also load up the channel strips accross your mixer and you got the cheapest SSL desk available.

Logic and Live 8 compressors are good enuff for me. 3rd party? I use Cytomic’s The Glue and Stillwell Audio’s The Rocket and Bombadier. All under $99.

I have recently purchased this Compressor to squash transients loops ,ETC . I sincerely never had tried a hardware compressor. but they say this Compressor have that analog feel or sounds .

I use sonalksis FreeG :slight_smile:

[quote]howiegroove (30/11/2010)[hr]How bout Vintage Warmer? Did we all forget that it is a compressor from the get go?[/quote]

yeah, good call if I could only buy one vst ever that would be it!