Ableton vs Logic?

Hi

I am very glad and please with all your videos, but this is big question on me?

I am trying to do Trance Music ( like PVD, Giuseppe Ottaviani, Simon Patterson, Mac Zimmenz)

Techno (Umek , Dubfire)

Prog House, ( Jerome Ismae, Michael Woods, Nick Romero)

I own ableton 8 and logic 8 almost all my knowledge is in Ableton the one i know to use it very well, but i know Logic is more professional do i should stick on ableton or change to logic or using both?

Saying Logic is more professional… What basis do you have?

I also own both and wouldn’t say Logic is more professional. They both have strengths and weaknesses.

Logic comes with a massive library, more instruments and processors. For mixing I find it easier to work with because of it’s layout. But Live has some more interesting effects, is much easier to work in loops, easier to arrange and write in.

If you are comfortable with Live, I’d stick with that.

Professional music is made with both DAWs. Logic is more common in large studios sitting along side Pro Tools. However, you need to use what you find you enjoy making music with the most. I use both personally.

No DAW is ‘more professional’ than another, they can all produce outstanding music. It’s up the individual which they prefer.

It’s like saying a Honda is more professional than a Ford.

[quote]EdwardRyan (27/10/2010)[hr]Saying Logic is more professional… What basis do you have?

I also own both and wouldn’t say Logic is more professional. They both have strengths and weaknesses.

Logic comes with a massive library, more instruments and processors. For mixing I find it easier to work with because of it’s layout. But Live has some more interesting effects, is much easier to work in loops, easier to arrange and write in.

If you are comfortable with Live, I’d stick with that.[/quote]

Howie, give some examples on how you use both DAWs? Explain your workflow?

Pick a DAW - Make some music.

If you dont click - change. Most people change around a few times.

Roll the dice. No-one can 100% tell you whats right for you.

Watch some YT Vids of Logic & see it in action. See if you prefer it / looks / sounds good.

SFlogicninja has loads of Vids.

Future Music have loads of vids too. Watch the D Ramirez & Funkagenda ones if you can find them. Loads of Logic.

[quote]J.HiZ (27/10/2010)[hr][quote]EdwardRyan (27/10/2010)[hr]Saying Logic is more professional… What basis do you have?

If you are comfortable with Live, I’d stick with that.[/quote]

Howie, give some examples on how you use both DAWs? Explain your workflow?[/quote]

I used both logic and ableton also, to be fair the example of how i use both would be i make a track in which ever one i fancy playing around in that day. sometimes i’ll be playing around with a synth in logic and get stuck for ideas so i’ll bounce to audio and stick it in live to see if that fire anything off. works the other way round too for me…

If its down to the “logic just sounds better” well yeah it does but only because live is essentially set up for Live/Dj Use and can be easily set for Studio Use and will improve Abletons sound quality.

mr. fisher

I use ableton because i know to do a lot thing on it, any idea i got i know how to do it in Ableton but i think the sound coming from Logic is outstanding …

Its either about picking what i feel like working in, but sometimes I will get everything down in Live and then mix in Logic.

[quote]miglondon (28/10/2010)[hr]mr. fisher

I use ableton because i know to do a lot thing on it, any idea i got i know how to do it in Ableton but i think the sound coming from Logic is outstanding …[/quote]

I didn’t say ableton would be be as good as logic i just said there are a number of things you can do to improve its sound quality :slight_smile:

Woooooooooooowowowoowooooooooo Woooooooooooooowowowooooooooooooo!!

The ableton versus logic discussion will never end. In my opinion the most advanced daw is cubase but i dont prefer it .Personally, I like ableton since I’m not a producer for let’s say 5 years meaning that i don’t have the experience . But definitely ableton is the way to get into producing for me because of it’s intuitive interface and such. The massive libraries you say logic gives kind of mean crap to me at least because i make my own sounds in sylenth or other synths. I really like the logic sound though. I would say Logic is better for drum and bass than ableton.Anyways both are great. None of them will ever win.

My opinion.Sorry for grammar!

[quote]J.HiZ (27/10/2010)[hr]

Howie, give some examples on how you use both DAWs? Explain your workflow?[/quote]

I will normally write most of the track in Live. Parts get stretched, timing altered. I’ll write with 3rd party instruments like Preadotr & Massive as well as Operator. USe what I want in terms of arps and Live’s more interesting/unique effects. Bounce everything down to audio…Off into Logic.

Tend to add more drums here. Then I do the mixdown here. Sometimes I’ll switch over to Record to get the SSL emulation during mixdown. It depends…

I’ve been using Logic since Sept now at college and I’m still not swayed, still MUCH prefer using Ableton.

Logic’s not bad, don’t get me wrong, just not for me.

i have logic 9 and live lite 8.

live is awesome for putting down a quick idea rather than logic, but logic is very deep you need to know a lot of sht about it to use it to its full potential even though as a beginner you can get awesome sounds out of it, its really good for adding shine and sht to ur music but u cannot mess with the fun of live, i could spend an hour on the same 2 or 4 bar loop fcking with the filters.

i wish i had live 8 studio i would use that a lot, but stick to what you know well and spend a little time getting used to the other program, that way you can use both to the fullest!

although people might disagree with me i love the effects in logic, they sound superb, and there are a lot of them!

[quote]Roben (17/11/2010)[hr]I’ve been using Logic since Sept now at college and I’m still not swayed, still MUCH prefer using Ableton.

Logic’s not bad, don’t get me wrong, just not for me.[/quote]

It could be because its more involved and either you are lazy or dont understand signal flow. Its not a dig at you, because thats why I use Ableton. Its easy and its quick to get your ideas down without having to worry about signal flow before you get the idea from your head into your DAW. It would benefit you to learn signal flow inside and out. Your music will suffer and you will sound like everyone else if you dont. I prefer to work quickly in ableton but I like to get lost in making my noises. Thats why I’m building a modular synth right now. I like the signal flow aspect of sound design. It interests me. Plus, i dont care to sound like anyone else.

[quote]howiegroove (17/11/2010)[hr][quote]Roben (17/11/2010)[hr]I’ve been using Logic since Sept now at college and I’m still not swayed, still MUCH prefer using Ableton.

Logic’s not bad, don’t get me wrong, just not for me.[/quote]

It could be because its more involved and either you are lazy or dont understand signal flow. Its not a dig at you, because thats why I use Ableton. Its easy and its quick to get your ideas down without having to worry about signal flow before you get the idea from your head into your DAW. It would benefit you to learn signal flow inside and out. Your music will suffer and you will sound like everyone else if you dont. I prefer to work quickly in ableton but I like to get lost in making my noises. Thats why I’m building a modular synth right now. I like the signal flow aspect of sound design. It interests me. Plus, i dont care to sound like anyone else.[/quote]

I would definately agree with Ableton’s ability to quickly put your ideas recorded. I started in Logic and quickly moved over to Ableton because the learning curve for Logic was just over my head.

Elaborate more on what you mean by signal flow? Are you talking about just the overall workflow of Logic in terms of instruments, filter effects, etc?

This convo has been raging for years man, im an ableton man 4 flexibility in fact for studio too i much prefer the flexibility …

But logic clearly has better sound quality its a fact -its studio based so the sound quality is geared for it ,

where as live is well geared more for live performance and is set up for low cpu !.:).

Spon on Egg!

J. Hiz, signal flow means all about bussing, creating sidechains, etc. Live does these in the background. Logic, you have to do them long hand. If you want need a haircut and cant afford it, try to figure out Logic’s Environment and you will pull out all your hair soon enough.