Ableton vs Logic?

awesome. so logic and live sum audio exactly the same when no warping is on. I dig it. But why would you do that? Most everyone that is making dance music isn’t recording at the exact tempo. They are manipulating time somehow. The way that both programs process audio is different and how they sum the audio is different. I might not be explaining myself the way I want.

[quote]howiegroove (02/01/2011)[hr]awesome. so logic and live sum audio exactly the same when no warping is on. I dig it. But why would you do that? Most everyone that is making dance music isn’t recording at the exact tempo. They are manipulating time somehow. The way that both programs process audio is different and how they sum the audio is different. I might not be explaining myself the way I want.

[/quote]

Well, to be honest with you, the Ableton algorithms for warping are definitely as good as Logic’s, even though you can argue that they are not. All Ableton instruments, plug-ins and effects are world class and pro recordings can be done on either given the creativity and proper use of its devices.

On top of that, I love staying in 24bit and use samples of same BPM while in the project and then either recycle em or just chop em up. Then no warping occurs.

My preference would be to Recycle into rex2 or chop the sample as well (mainly recycle tho)

When you Recycle a 4 bar kick for example you set the original tempo by selecting the number of bars the sample, set the hit points then save to rex2, i then drop the sample into Stylus RMX and it will sync to the project tempo, this works by changing the timing between your hit points not by stretching the audio thus taking away any unwanted stretching/warping effects…

I love this way of working with loops & samples :slight_smile:

You can get some good results with vocals as well…

[quote][b]beepbeep (03/01/2011)[/bWell, to be honest with you, the Ableton algorithms for warping are definitely as good as Logic’s, even though you can argue that they are not. All Ableton instruments, plug-ins and effects are world class and pro recordings can be done on either given the creativity and proper use of its devices.[/quote]

Is that based on fact as well?

[quote]howiegroove (03/01/2011)[hr][quote][b]beepbeep (03/01/2011)[/bWell, to be honest with you, the Ableton algorithms for warping are definitely as good as Logic’s, even though you can argue that they are not. All Ableton instruments, plug-ins and effects are world class and pro recordings can be done on either given the creativity and proper use of its devices.[/quote]

Is that based on fact as well?[/quote]

Definitely not fact. But in my opinion (and opinion of many other engineers in EDM) Ableton’s warping algos and native effects are top notch. The ability in creating world class material is definitely in the use of those effects properly.

PS: I really like your track on Armada :slight_smile:

[quote]beepbeep (03/01/2011)[hr][quote]howiegroove (03/01/2011)[hr][quote][b]beepbeep (03/01/2011)[/bWell, to be honest with you, the Ableton algorithms for warping are definitely as good as Logic’s, even though you can argue that they are not. All Ableton instruments, plug-ins and effects are world class and pro recordings can be done on either given the creativity and proper use of its devices.[/quote]

Is that based on fact as well?[/quote]

Definitely not fact. But in my opinion (and opinion of many other engineers in EDM) Ableton’s warping algos and native effects are top notch. The ability in creating world class material is definitely in the use of those effects properly.

PS: I really like your track on Armada :)[/quote]

Thank you for the compliment.

As a user of both Logic and Live, I will say that my opinion is that Logics native effect and instrument bundle is superior to Lives. Others have told me that its the best among all DAWs. Even though I believe this, I still choose to use Live over Logic. However, I am a hardware guy for my instruments, so whatever on the instrument front. But Live’s native plugs are great.

[quote]miglondon (27/10/2010)[hr]Hi

I am very glad and please with all your videos, but this is big question on me?

I am trying to do Trance Music ( like PVD, Giuseppe Ottaviani, Simon Patterson, Mac Zimmenz)

Techno (Umek , Dubfire)

Prog House, ( Jerome Ismae, Michael Woods, Nick Romero)

I own ableton 8 and logic 8 almost all my knowledge is in Ableton the one i know to use it very well, but i know Logic is more professional do i should stick on ableton or change to logic or using both?[/quote]

i would say whatever you get the best sound out of.

no sense in changing DAW’s if you are comfortable in the one you are using.