About the new music theory vids

Hey, i was really enjoying this series and it really covered up alot of confusion for me especially about the modes. The only dissapointing thing, and it was a big dissapointment tbh was the last vid. After your brain being crammed by the previous videos i was really expecting and hoping that Jamie would show how to make some cool melodies using these modes etc but what do we get … a few 3-4 note techno melodies…

Jamie you seem like you know alot about music and theory and i just feel its such a shame that this knowledge of music is going to waste on a genre that doesnt really incorporate any music whatsoever. Seriously if i wanted a techno melodie i would grab a keyboard, put a monkey in front of it and let him have a crack. Cos to me this is what techno melodies sound like.

Now im not once again having a go at techno but for a series concentrating on music theory wouldnt it make more sense to pick a genre that actually encorporates music?

Now for all the idiots that are gonna come on here and start bashing me for hating and the techno supporters etc i ask of you one question. Post me a clip of a techno/minimal track that actually has different parts of music theory, like nice chord progressions and complex melodies.

Sorry if im having a rant but i was really excited about seeing some music theory tutorials but im bitterly dissapointed that someone with the knowledge of Jamie when on music theory is putting it to waste on a style that has pretty much no music in it.

Tbh i think this website needs to change its name to Techno Academy its getting beyond ridiculous…

[quote]jjdejong0 (11/06/2011)[hr]Seriously if i wanted a techno melodie i would grab a keyboard, put a monkey in front of it and let him have a crack. Cos to me this is what techno melodies sound like.[/quote]

OMG!! sooooo funny!!! hahahah!!! :P:P

[quote]jjdejong0 (11/06/2011)[hr]for a series concentrating on music theory wouldnt it make more sense to pick a genre that actually encorporates music?[/quote]

he’s right on this one to!! :wink:

Jan,

The application of the concepts surveyed in the videos is universal across all style platforms. Considering the multitude of options one has when composing melodies, it would be ridiculous for me to try and assess ALL the things that make a melody great. But like I said, a great melody requires an understanding of the language first, which I think the videos show in great detail for 45 minutes worth of your time. How one chooses melodic material is up to THEM, and is based on their collective understanding of everything I’ve gone over in my videos thus far.

It seems like the more grandiose, orchestral-style music is your thing, so if you want those big melodies, the first thing to do is perhaps sit and ANALYZE some of your favorite tunes and melodies and see what the producer has done! Transcribe the melody by ear into your DAW, and then compare what you hear/see to the modes/scales clips in the videos. From there you can physically assess what characteristics the melody has that make it interesting. You can assess the note choice within a particular scale. You can analyze the rhythmic placement. Of course, all this amidst how it fits into the chords you choose!

In other words, Jan… it takes WORK and PRACTICE. The discoveries YOU make along the way based on your growing skill, in tandem with knowledge of the concepts I’ve gone over thus far in the videos, will help you establish your own voice and style that perhaps people in the future will look at and analyze for their own study and progress.

Everything you need is right there. Sheesh…I’ll go make a video right this minute and TRY to make what’s already in the videos more obvious!

J

Marc Houle from Richie Hawtin’s Minus label…

Or perhaps Ricardo…

Or perhaps you want to be extra-offensive and tell Steve Reich (where minimal really started) that minimal isn’t music!

He’s still alive, so I bet he’d be happy to receive your emails telling him so.

Philip Glass…

Shall I continue with examples or does everyone get the idea?

on the other hand im sure there is tons of trance that is crap musically

[quote]JamieinNC (11/06/2011)[hr]Shall I continue with examples or does everyone get the idea?[/quote]

Please don’t stop - I’m having fun :wink:

Jamie when you watched Graham Gintys tutorials on chords did he pick any sortsa styles of the clips you posted? No he did insomnia, i wonder why?

Also i listend to those clips you posted and it seems you dont have to limit your pet monkey to a keyboard you can put him on a variety of instruments…

Yes, well…

We sometimes have to choose something EVERYBODY can understand. It just goes with the territory of teaching. :wink:

J

[quote]jjdejong0 (11/06/2011)[hr]Jamie when you watched Graham Gintys tutorials on chords did he pick any sortsa styles of the clips you posted? No he did insomnia, i wonder why?

[/quote]

Game, set & match to Jamie :laugh: :cool:

On the other hand i suppose in a tutorial series which is aimed at the complete beginner techno isnt a bad style to use as you can make melodies using any notes from any key in any order all you have to do is make sure you keep it to a 3-5 note minimum.

Also considering we are talking music theory and your bringing up trance i wonder which is a better style to use. Techno melodies which ive explained a monkey would play or trance melodies which are usually the focus of the whole track backed along with big harmonies and lush chord progressions.

Hmmmm oh i wonder which would be better, tbh it doesnt have to be trance i think even hardcore gabba would use more music theory than a techno track. The whole point of this thread was to highlight that althought you may seem really cool to all your techno friends giving them a nice techno swing to music theory tutorials, in fact you have picked the most unmusical style i think in all of EDM, i just think mabey you shouldnt put your personal preferences and the need to please ICN/Slender into your tutorial considerations and think of examples that will be familiar to everyone EG Graham ginty Insomnia etc etc etc

Its like you spent all this time making great tutorials on modes and scales and you talk about all the complex things you can do mode switching etc and all the supposedly hidden tricks pros have in their arsenal then your supposed best melody consists of 5 notes and doesnt rly even sound right… bit of an anti climax…

If you don’t like it Jan do one your fckn self and stop moaning like a child

Plus it would be pretty pointless Jamie pandering to me considering I not even a subscriber any more :wink:

+1

Wayne is being helpful & making a few vids… take a lead out of his book & help your brethren.

You surely have no toys left in the pram at this stage Jan. Chill out about the Techno thing mate. Its eating you up Man!

Its not that i dont like it but i have to speak on behalf of everyone that isnt in your little gayclub…

Also if i could do it i would and i definately wouldnt spend all this time talking about complex melodies then showing an example using 3-5 short notes…

Bring back Graham Ginty…

Also to ICN/slender i dont blame you for your response if this site was putting nothing but trance stuff out i would respond in exactly the same way as you but i also think you nwould be responding in the same way as me.

I didnt want this to turn into another trance vs techno thread im just trying to highlight something in this tutorial series. I dont think im wrong…

biggest anti climax of the year.

[quote]jjdejong0 (11/06/2011)[hr]Its not that i dont like it but i have to speak on behalf of everyone that isnt in your little gayclub…

Also if i could do it i would and i definately wouldnt spend all this time talking about complex melodies then showing an example using 3-5 short notes…

Bring back Graham Ginty…[/quote]

Hohoho! Well… theres a debate winner!