About the new music theory vids

Im trying to get accross to you that putting Techno and Music Theory together is like putting a fish in a desert it doesnt go well together…

And its a shame for Jamie that all his hard work etc is wasted, i will say tho that he is new to making vids etc so i cant be too harsh, consider this thread as a little tip.

Mate… we dont respond in anyway about anything.

All styles etc… exist here side by side. I honestly dont think I;ve ever said “no more(insert genre here)…”

You are the only one that bangs on like this all the time.

LOL at not wanting to make this into a techno vs. trance debate… what was the point of your original post then?? :hehe:

Honestly, you must have a brain the size of a pea.

[quote]jjdejong0 (11/06/2011)[hr]Also to ICN/slender i dont blame you for your response if this site was putting nothing but trance stuff out i would respond in exactly the same way as you but i also think you nwould be responding in the same way about me.

I didnt want this to turn into another trance vs techno thread im just trying to highlight something in this tutorial series. I dont think im wrong…

biggest anti climax of the year.[/quote]

jan trance is crap mate. its out of date and its cheesy.

Insomnia is the Biz.

[quote]jjdejong0 (11/06/2011)[hr]Im trying to get accross to you that putting Techno and Music Theory together is like putting a fish in a dessert it doesnt go well together…[/quote]

Mate… have you never had Fish Ice-cream. Lovely stuff :laugh:

ICN your brain must be even smaller as you cant understand this simple thread. This isnt about trance etc its about using the worst style possible to go along side a music theory series.

It would be like me making a video tutorial series on chillout music, showing you all the ins and outs of chillouts, some good little parts of chillout and then when i show examples of how to put everything together turning the bpm up to 170 and making gabba. Why is minimal called minimal ? So hoping for big musical expressions is a bit of a long shot ?

It doesnt have to be trance like i said ANY OTHER style would be better as they incorporate MUSIC!!! But surely im not the only one that was dissapointed when they were expecting some cool examples of how to use modes and then getting 3-5 note techno melodies over a dull techno sounding loop…

I think he should of used Harmony Improvisator while explaining the 5ths it would of showed and let you hear cords on the fly . Would of been a great teaching tool . Still Good videos .

.[quote]jjdejong0 (11/06/2011)[hr]ICN your brain must be even smaller as you cant understand this simple thread. [/quote]

Oh no it isnt… :slight_smile:

jan i would like to point out that your eminem quote is incorrect :hehe:

Dont care.

The close-mindedness is really astounding. The attack on my “supposed melody” is unfounded simply because I clearly mention in the video that the melody is not cast in stone. I mentioned that once the chords and a particular set of sounds are established I would have a better idea as to what I want to do. In other words I’m driving home the fact that musical elements need time to settle and be absorbed in order to assess the quality, and they are ALWAYS subject to change. Working toward a musical groove/emotion/character with a perhaps not-so-great melody is PART OF THE PROCESS…

I honestly didn’t expect to arrive at the most incredible melody ever in an hour.

Now, this leads me to the bottom line. You are so busy complaining and worrying about what everyone else outside of your particular style is doing, that it is distracting your ability to take the concepts this site offers and use it to make some music. For example, the energy you expend in criticizing everyone else’s style could be much better applied to studying something and working toward your own goals.

Also, I gather you are the type that wants everybody else to just tell you how to do something so you can run off, and with the least amount of work and try to make something great out if it. Meaning… You want me to tell you ALL the great things about melody and ALL the EASY ways to get a great melody without actually THINKING for yourself on how to develop that in your own way based on knowledge of the SKILLS, which I will repeat: is all right in front of you. If you are making music in this way, and you are constantly having to be TOLD what to do to get a certain musical effect or quality, you are going to have a very frustrating musical career.

Help along the way is always good, like asking someone, “How did you do that?” Or perhaps, “what makes a melody so compelling?” But not if it’s presented in a way that just makes you look like a complete hack that wants all the answers with NO effort. I’d love to share the subject of contour, antecedents and consequents, and the concept of melodic “1-2-3” that I didn’t necessarily have time for in the videos, but I think I’ll keep that to myself now, ONLY because you are acting like a brat.

J

[quote]jjdejong0 (11/06/2011)[hr]On the other hand i suppose in a tutorial series which is aimed at the complete beginner techno isnt a bad style to use as you can make melodies using any notes from any key in any order all you have to do is make sure you keep it to a 3-5 note minimum.

Also considering we are talking music theory and your bringing up trance i wonder which is a better style to use. Techno melodies which ive explained a monkey would play or trance melodies which are usually the focus of the whole track backed along with big harmonies and lush chord progressions.

Hmmmm oh i wonder which would be better, tbh it doesnt have to be trance i think even hardcore gabba would use more music theory than a techno track. The whole point of this thread was to highlight that althought you may seem really cool to all your techno friends giving them a nice techno swing to music theory tutorials, in fact you have picked the most unmusical style i think in all of EDM, i just think mabey you shouldnt put your personal preferences and the need to please ICN/Slender into your tutorial considerations and think of examples that will be familiar to everyone EG Graham ginty Insomnia etc etc etc

Its like you spent all this time making great tutorials on modes and scales and you talk about all the complex things you can do mode switching etc and all the supposedly hidden tricks pros have in their arsenal then your supposed best melody consists of 5 notes and doesnt rly even sound right… bit of an anti climax…[/quote]

lol

[quote]ICN (11/06/2011)[hr].[quote]jjdejong0 (11/06/2011)[hr]ICN your brain must be even smaller as you cant understand this simple thread. [/quote]

Oh no it isnt… :slight_smile:[/quote]

Oh yes it is :smiley:

[quote]slender (11/06/2011)[hr][quote]ICN (11/06/2011)[hr].[quote]jjdejong0 (11/06/2011)[hr]ICN your brain must be even smaller as you cant understand this simple thread. [/quote]

Oh no it isnt… :slight_smile:[/quote]

Oh yes it is :D[/quote]

Oh no it isnt - He’s behind you! :slight_smile:

Jan’s a Brat - Snigger :slight_smile:

No offense Jamie i dont think its good to have an attitude of Oh you gave me critisism so im gonna keep the good bits to myself, especially not off someone who is making tutorials for a site which i paid money for to subscribe.

Lets just say you took some well known songs and used them, and then explained how the modes were used etc, dont you think this would have had a lot more of an impact?

Second you say you cant make a complex melody in an hour and i totally agree but even if you had all the hours in a year you couldnt make a complex melody and show it cos ure trying to do it over a techno loop in a techno style.

FISH IN DESERT.

[quote]jjdejong0 (11/06/2011)[hr]No offense Jamie i dont think its good to have an attitude of Oh you gave me critisism so im gonna keep the good bits to myself, especially not off someone who is making tutorials for a site which i paid money for to subscribe.

[/quote]

Incidently I know Jamie is not taking a penny or a cent for any off the vids he does here

It’s not about KEEPING bits to myself. It’s the idea that YOU need to use the knowledge, regardless of the style in which it is presented, and use that in your OWN way.

Alright…just to shut you the heck up…I’ll go make a series of short videos that will NOT address friggin techno, but spew everything I know about melody from analyzing music for the past 20 years and all the things I have discovered, JUST SO I CAN MAKE YOUR MUSICAL LIFE EASY>>>>>>>>>>

Be right BACK.

J

[quote]jjdejong0 (11/06/2011)[hr]No offense Jamie i dont think its good to have an attitude of Oh you gave me critisism so im gonna keep the good bits to myself, especially not off someone who is making tutorials for a site which i paid money for to subscribe.

Lets just say you took some well known songs and used them, and then explained how the modes were used etc, dont you think this would have had a lot more of an impact?

Second you say you cant make a complex melody in an hour and i totally agree but even if you had all the hours in a year you couldnt make a complex melody and show it cos ure trying to do it over a techno loop in a techno style.

FISH IN DESERT.[/quote]

Also as to your comments about my attitude and wanting someone else to do it, i will direct you to some releases ive had and the labels they were on. Also i know no music theory so you can imagine how hard it was for me to use a diagram and make those melodies simply using my ears and trying to know what notes dont go well together.

Please dont be annoyed at me for your shortcomings in a series of tutorials you made i was trying to give my cause for concern and give you a tip mabey.

Nothing like a row online when the football season is on a break :stuck_out_tongue: