ANA 2 2.0.98 - Bug Report for Verbatron FX ( ARM code & M1 Silicon MacOS )

Hi again,
Thanks for the video sample. That is how it sounded in the demo version bit not in the registered one.

I’ve tried to replicate your video with audio for you to hear the difference but I cannot upload the video as a new user and I’m not using Youtube.

Let me know how to get you the video I made.

Hope you got some sleep :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Darren.

You should be able to upload on the forums now, but if the video is too large then it won’t let you of course.
You could archive the video and use WeTransfer or a similar service.

That’s why I’m suspecting something wrong on your end since the beginning, not sure if this could be ANA 2 installation, Logic or something else.

Thanks, it still says I can’t upload as I’m a new user.
Do you know the upload file size limit?

Log out & back and try again. Don’t know about the size or file format limitation, but WeTransfer is free to use.

Cheers,
Video file is to too large, used WeTransfer instead, here’s the link
https://we.tl/t-cbGyisRcjP

Thanks, Darren.

OK, I got the video but that won’t do for troubleshooting this, you are doing it wrong.

New Empty Project - No Sent Buses or custom IO routing in LPX - LPX Pan knob isn’t set to a zero value - Don’t touch your Pan knob in LPX - That’s all we need here, any other custom setup is most likely affecting LPX stereo out which is the last audio source you hear and record with your video since ANA 2 track is not even solo : so what you hear is your LPX stereo out.

• Your channel LPX Pan knob is not at 0 but +1 even before playing any sound.
  • You have 2 Buses on the channel and the 2nd one has an active send → A part of ANA 2 output is being sent to that bus. Any post processing is unwanted here to simply test ANA 2 preset output.
  • You are panning the channel yourself, that’s not the way and you can’t check or isolate the Left / Right audio signal doing this : it’s the signal flow processing rule which is a s follow :

ANA 2 process the Midi on it’s Instrument channel → Midi is converted to Audio ( ANA 2 main OUT → The final stereo out from the plugin. Which is POST any settings or onboard ANA 2 fx ) → That stereo audio signal goes IN your channel → That Signal comes OUT on your Channel fader → This goes IN your LPX main stereo OUT whihc is what you hear and record here.

Any active send or panning done on the channel is POST ( after ) ANA 2 Main OUT ( so you’re altering the preset sound yourself ) but PRE ( before ) LPX main Stereo OUT.

So in this case the audio signal out from ANA 2 is broken or not an accurate sound of the way your presets should sound.

Empty new default project at LPX start - 1 instrument channel with ANA 2 - Start by INIT preset - That’s all you need for testing !!

Thanks for the clarification.
I reset LPX project to single channel strip with no bus outs and solo.
After pressing INIT in ANA 2 and selecting preset, still get the same results.
New video in link below:
https://we.tl/t-eZhxotDtb3

Maybe it’s my LPX install, but the Future Chords preset didn’t sound like this on the demo ANA 2 using the same install of LPX. I can’t think of anything else. I might get some sleep, it’s 2:40am here down under :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Darren.

1 Like

Hi there Darren ( well… Must be sleeping Daren at the time I’m typing this… LOL :wink: )

I got your new video and this time the LPX Project and channel is perfect :thumbsup:
( just the simple stuff we need to troubleshoot this :wink: )

This time there is indeed some interesting things going on.

• On your last video I can see that your ANA 2 main stereo output is already altered when you simply load the Future Chords preset and start to play it back and a significant decrease of ANA 2 main right channel output.

• If we go back to midi and audio workflow : this is taking place " Pre-Channel Fader " , so this can only be caused by ANA 2 or something before ANA 2, but you have No Midi effect on this channel and this is the only channel in this Project.

So let’s pretend we’re in the real analog world for a minute…

1. You hooked up your nice ANA 2 hardware synth to your Mixing Console.
  2. This synth has a stereo output so you plug in 2 cables to a stereo pair line input on your console L/R.
  3. You play the synth and notice that you have almost no signal on the Right.

→ You check your input level and console settings ( that’s Logic here ) : everything is OK.
→ You check your Right connection between the synth & the console, you replace the cable and make sure it’s correctly plugged in both ways : everything OK again ( No fancy Midi or anything before ANA 2 in Logic )

We are then left by the synth settings or a hardware failure inside the synth : interesting indeed :rolling_eyes:

The 1st ANA 2 setting that comes to mind is the Mixer Section of course, because you can Pan the Oscillator output. But it’s clear on the video that you’re just loading the default preset, and furthermore this preset uses only 1 main Oscillator and we have visual focus on it. If there was a panning happening in ANA 2 mixer section, it would be reflected on the pan knob on the main GUI view, and the knob is centered, so it’s not that.

You have manually uninstall ANA 2 and performed a clean install and I PM you the default preset so we are sure it’s not preset related… Then something is wrong with the synth.

In the analog world, it’s pretty sure that an internal module, a component is not quite right → Back to repair !!

In the digital world things are more “spooky” or complicated : because you have the problem, I don’t have it, it uses to work fine before for you, it’s not anymore… ??

We do not have the same MacOS and Logic configuration though… I’ll keep troubleshooting from there.

Catching up later :smile:

Cheers !

OK Houston … we’ve got a problem

But… we’ve got a good catch from Darren !!

• Put the Strum GTR out of the list of course ( not related )

But yes : all other Presets do have something in common : Onboard ANA 2 VERBATRON Fx.
So that’s your synth module that needs to go to repair :blush:

• Why is it working for me then ? : I’m not on a M1 Silicon Mac using ARM but you are, I’m also running an older version of Logic.

I think the Verbatron Fx was introduced in v2.0.94 and modified in v2.0.98 : it was working / it doesn’t anymore like you’ve been reported.

So yep, we finally may have nailed something :slight_smile:

Thank you for your perseverance Darren ! :thumbsup:

For S.A Team : @bryan_spence → Faulty Verbatron fx ARM code in 2.0.98 ?? Confirming support request #15169

Edit : Updating the systems specs here

Thank you so much for your persistence, I also had to try using Garageband to rule out the Logic version and got the same results.
I tried the offending presets again, turning off the Verbatron FX and what do you know, the right channel audio drop and distortion are gone! :grinning:

So glad I could replicate a perceived audio issue, and it wasn’t at my end :slight_smile:

Hopefully the S.A. Team can provide a fix :thumbsup:

Thanks again,
Darren.

1 Like

Luckily it’s definitely not your ears because they can’t fix that… :sweat_smile: :joy:
Good catch !

Thanks again for spotting out this one ! …and my time to hit the bed now… :sleeping: :sunglasses:

Cheers !

Hi again Darren,

It probably won’t make a difference, but Apple has released a Logic Pro 10.6.3 update have you updated yet and could you please test the offending presets and the Verbatron fx with LPX 10.6.3 ?

It’s an interesting update anyway because of the new Plug-ins Manager features :

Hi Stéphane,

I haven’t installed the Logic Pro 10.6.3 update yet.

I’ll let you know when I do and have tested the ANA 2 Verbatron fx.

Thanks again for your help with this.

Cheers,
Darren.

Hi Darren,

No worries and no hurry :smile:

I’m not really expecting that it will change something for this ANA 2 issue.
That said, better to keep up with LPX updates when they are compatible with your Mac hardware :wink:

Hi there Darren,

This one looks a bit more tricky than I thought :blush:

So far we haven’t been able to reproduce this issue with the Verbatron effect ouput in mono only, we’ve tested on our end on a M1 Silicon Mac Mini and Logic Pro 10.6.2 and the Verbatron fx output is stereo, same on non M1 MacOS systems.

It would be great if you could provide us with the followings :

• A screen shot of your Audio Settings in Logic Pro X
    ( Logic Pro X Menu → preferences → audio )

• A new video using one of the offending preset and same settings as your last one but this time showing ANA 2 GUI with the Verbatron Fx visible in addition to the LPX channel output.

If you haven’t install the LPX 10.6.3 update yet, I suggest to record a new video before doing it first, it will be a reference for comparison.

i.e of what we’d like to see bellow.

Thank you very much and sorry for the bother, but this one seems a bit tricky to point out on our end.

• LPX Audio Prefs Screenshot

• Focus on ANA 2 Verbatron fx Output in the new video, just keep ANA 2 open on your screen with a view of the fx output

Hi Stéphane,

Please see link below for screenshot and video as requested. Logic is still on 10.6.2, haven’t done the update yet.

https://we.tl/t-bWlzg2hcOs

Hope this helps with the diagnosis.

Cheers,
Darren.

1 Like

Perfect ! :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot Darren :wink:

Cheers !

@DG1 @myoss

This seems to be an odd one with a different outcome depending on the Apple M1 Mac model people are running, or perhaps the MacOS build version of Big Sur installed, but we aren’t sure yet if this is a confirmed bug with ANA 2.

Also tagging and adding another user to this thread that reported the same issue via support.

• Apple also released a LPX 10.6.3 update as well as some Big Sur maintenance updates recently and ideally, you would like to try the following :
  1. Manual uninstall of ANA 2 v2.0.98 ( follow this guide Manually Uninstall ANA 2 + the updated VST3 plugin to remove bellow, that’s missing on the help page ).

VST3 - Your MAC HDD DRIVE/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST3 remove ANA2.vst3

1. Update to latest McOS Big Sur build + Update to latest LPX 10.6.3
  2. New clean installation of ANA 2 v2.0.98

And then report on the forums if that makes any difference with the “verbatron” fx output and set it back to stereo.

1. Also check in which mode you’re launching Logic Pro X : ARM Native or Compatibility Mode ?

This can be changed by opening your Applications folder, selec & right click on LPX app icon and “Get Info”.

1. What type of MacOS user account are you using on your Macs : do you have Admin Privileges ?

@Tekalight
Hi Stéphane,

So I’ve tested latest ANA2 build in several DAWs that I have and the bug seems to occur only when you are running native M1 version of ANA2 in a native M1 version of DAW (in my case it’s Bitwig 4 and Logic). If you run ANA2 in non-native DAWs (Studio One 5, Ableton 11) via Rosetta, or run Bitwig \ Logic in Rosetta-mode the bug isn’t there. Plugin format does not make difference AU or VST \ VST3.

Before testing macOS and all DAWs were updated to the latest versions available.

1 Like

@myoss

Thank you for the update Timur, so you’ve been able to confirm this with all plug-in format, not just the AU ?

You’re running a M1 MacBook Pro right with latest Big Sur and LPX 10.6.3 + Bitwig Studio 4.0.1 right ?