Choosing a dj name

Hi :slight_smile:

I don’t know if it’s just me but I find it impossible to pick a good name.

When I listen to music, go on beatport etc, there are so many names flashing up at me and they all sound good, yet every name i think of sounds bad. I am pretty sure there is a bit of psychology involved with this. For example, Groove Armada or Basement Jaxx are cool names but If I had of thought of them (Not saying I could have haha xD) I’d probably had thought they weren’t haha. It’s because they’re music is good and they’re known which makes their name better for me I suppose. Anyway! Does anyone have tips on thinking of a good name? I was also thinking of using my name, Patrick Geoffroy (Joh-Frrwah) what do you guys think?

thx :slight_smile:

Patrick

Joh-Frrwah sounds cool!! Use that.

A lot of it is definitely psycological I think. Other peoples names you dont tend to question, just accept em, like:

Mumdance, Boys Noize, 2 Many DJs, The Chemical Brothers (just a few off the top of my head) would defo have sounded daft if I had came up with it and was telling other people it in a Bar, unfamous.

Not quite the same, but I remember the first time I heard of the ‘Spice Girls’ and I thought ‘What a sh!t name’ but after multiple repetitions is stopped meaning anything and just became a name.

Dont listen to Rob… Thats the worst fkn name ever.

Maybe the name of an Ewok DJ… but c’mon!

Keep it simple - Why not Patrick Faisco?

Oh no. I mean it’s pronounced Joh-Frrwahhhh xD - Patrick Geoffroy is my name and a name I’m considering using. It’s french, and like every other word I have no clue if it sounds good or not, guess it’s subjective though.

What do yous think? Johh-Frwahh would take balls to carry off :L haha.

Yeah I totally agree, when I think Boys Noize, I think Ray Ban Wayfarers, Indie Dance, German Electro, Amazing Music. It’s just a new dimension to the name, It’s a cool souding name too, but yeah I would probably have been like… No… That’s not it, if I was thinking of it as a name.

I was considering using my First name with other words after it, yeah, like maybe Fiasco or somethin like that. That, or Kill the Fiasco maybe

Joh Frwahh sounds ace tbh

Prove it then  - Change your name to it! :stuck_out_tongue: :laugh: :smiley:

I just use my own name “James musselwhite” not because I think it’s good just because it’s different and there is no other dj with that name. :slight_smile:

I’ve always thought dj wank was a good one :w00t:

honestly I think KiLLTHEFiASCO like you have it spelled is pretty cool. if that doesn’t work then yeah you’ve always got dj wank to fall back on :stuck_out_tongue: and I agree, after a while you really forget about what the names mean. I really like Mustard Pimp, and they have a pretty awful (funny but still) name, but they still bring the goods so you learn to look past it

Roben got his name because of what he had to sacrifice

Real Open Back End Now

R O B E N

It’s true honestly

[quote]Jon_fisher (27/04/2011)[hr]Roben got his name because of what he had to sacrifice

Real Open Back End Now

R O B E N

It’s true honestly[/quote]

Very good Jon especially for this time in the morning :smiley:

[quote]ICN (27/04/2011)[hr] Why not Patrick Faisco?[/quote]

Patrick Faisco sounds good to me.

[quote]TheAnt (27/04/2011)[hr][quote]ICN (27/04/2011)[hr] Why not Patrick Faisco?[/quote]

Patrick Faisco sounds good to me.[/quote]

Me too -especially for a house/tec/dubstep dj I think the name would be wicked like

dj titsworth!

So long it does not have Vision or United in it you will be fine :smiley:

[quote]slender (27/04/2011)[hr]So long it does not have Vision or United in it you will be fine :D[/quote]

hahahaha. tell me about it.

I’m liking this thread too.

Might not be a bad idea to maybe think about something very personal to you, like a place from childhood or a nickname your family used when you were a kid, and perhaps respell it or modernize it.

For example, the artist Akufen got his name by phonetically respelling the French term for tinnitus, which happens to be “acouphène.”

See?

Jamie

[quote]JamieinNC (27/04/2011)[hr]I’m liking this thread too.

Might not be a bad idea to maybe think about something very personal to you, like a place from childhood or a nickname your family used when you were a kid, and perhaps respell it or modernize it.

For example, the artist Akufen got his name by phonetically respelling the French term for tinnitus, which happens to be “acouphène.”

See?

Jamie[/quote]

lol. spot on. never thought about it like that.

[quote]JamieinNC (27/04/2011)[hr]I’m liking this thread too.

like a place from childhood or a nickname your family used when you were a kid, and perhaps respell it or modernize it.

[/quote]

That makes me ‘Jimbo Chipping Sodbury’ Can’t see that working to be fair :wink:

I used too use DJ Slender then I got a beer belly :frowning: