Concerned - label advice please

sent a demo to a label and get the reply:

Good work! We can sign;) Send us remix-pack.

Also, please send your details to the contract

very short… i’m concerned… should I be? any advice? what do i do now? they have music on beat port, audio jelly etc…

label is http://liftedsounds.com/

Give them your name and address so they can put it on the contract.

Ask them to send you the contract so you can read it and sign and tell they that you will send the final Wav of the track with remix pack when you send them the contract back!

:cool:

the label looks legit , id say go for it

[quote]boneidol (30/07/2010)[hr]Give them your name and address so they can put it on the contract.

Ask them to send you the contract so you can read it and sign and tell they that you will send the final Wav of the track with remix pack when you send them the contract back!

:cool:[/quote]

+1

On a side note, think i’ll approach them with my tune too :wink:

Done… still seems a bit strange tho…

Only finished it this morning! Think I also should wait to see what the other labels I sent to say.

[quote]roben (30/07/2010)[hr][quote]boneidol (30/07/2010)[hr]Give them your name and address so they can put it on the contract.

:cool:[/quote]

+1

On a side note, think i’ll approach them with my tune too ;)[/quote]

haha! go for it mate! :wink: let me know what they say, we’ll do some joint ops special force style! haha

I’ve been sending to labels left right and centre the past 2/3 days. It’s madness really.

Too much effort for my liking haha.

yeah I have a distribution list now in outlook so BCC them in…

Anyone got back to you yet?

Any advice on this matter from Sonic tutors please?

No one’s got back to me yet, my friend who’s part of the industry said that sometimes these things can take a while, labels don’t always get back to you that quick. Which makes sense, because when you think about it, they need to find time to listen to all the demos they’ve been sent, then to actually listen to them.

I hope someone picks it up though, it’s not a bad track and i’ve only got faith on it due to the reaction i had with it on Saturday night and because of all the great feedback i had. Otherwise i’d probs just put it in the pile like everything else i ever do lol.

yeah they didnt get back to me that quick mate! I sent at 17:15 and had a reply at 18:52… they are in the US… sent demos before and its taken 2 weeks before any kinda of reply.

mind its also the weekend now so I’m next expecting any more replys for at least a week unless this guys send me this contract I’ve asked for. We’ll see… I’ll let ya know

Best of luck guys :slight_smile:

dude just be patient . wait for the contract and dont try to sound desperate . some labels talk so much **** at the end they end up signing u up after almost a month then to release your track they take even more time. so i would suggest to be patient or try other labels. the good think it is that a label wanted your track and this is a big step .

Gl in your future releases brother

agreed,

send your details and wait for the contract, if they dont get it to you in a bit then chase them up.

labels get a lot of stuff sent through so you’ve got to expect delays

cheers, now had 4 potentail labels interested from the demos I sent out, I put a link to a soundcloud sample, direct download like link to a sample and a direct download link to the full file at 320kpbs.

I also looked out DJ’s (established in my genre world wide) and artist management compaines for my genre. sent over the tune with with the view that if the DJ likes it can they floor test it in a club and give me some feedback. So far 2 management compaine replayed (on sent to 2 so far) and they where happy to forward it direct to the DJ in question.

I would prusume they had a quick listen first at least to ensure it wasnt utter crap - will let u know how it all goes.

[quote]bryan spence (03/08/2010)[hr]agreed,

send your details and wait for the contract, if they dont get it to you in a bit then chase them up.

labels get a lot of stuff sent through so you’ve got to expect delays[/quote]

yeah I was more concerned about how fast they got back to me as thats unusual! I’ve asked to review the contract in detail prior to sending any remix pack so on sat so I’ll hold off and see… I wanna wait anyway to see what the others say and for some of the bigger labels it may even take a month before they get back to you from the initail submission.

[quote]gofunk (04/08/2010)[hr][quote]bryan spence (03/08/2010)[hr]agreed,

yeah I was more concerned about how fast they got back to me as thats unusual! I’ve asked to review the contract in detail prior to sending any remix pack so on sat so I’ll hold off and see… I wanna wait anyway to see what the others say and for some of the bigger labels it may even take a month before they get back to you from the initail submission.[/quote]

theres no need to be suspicious. most labels are genuine.

just don’t expect to make any money from it if you aren’t getting an advance :slight_smile:

a lot of them like to give you a split, but you rarely see any of it unfortunately.

its a good name building exercise however, you have got to start somewhere

[quote]bryan spence (05/08/2010)[hr][quote]gofunk (04/08/2010)[hr][quote]bryan spence (03/08/2010)[hr]agreed,

yeah I was more concerned about how fast they got back to me as thats unusual! I’ve asked to review the contract in detail prior to sending any remix pack so on sat so I’ll hold off and see… I wanna wait anyway to see what the others say and for some of the bigger labels it may even take a month before they get back to you from the initail submission.[/quote]

just don’t expect to make any money from it if you aren’t getting an advance :slight_smile:

a lot of them like to give you a split, but you rarely see any of it unfortunately.

its a good name building exercise however, you have got to start somewhere[/quote]

Cheer Bryan, yeah I have a good idea of what to expect regarding spilts - read a lot on info on the over the net.

A lot of the info also says it is in my best interest to ask for an advance, might not be a big one as it is EDM and all that. But I’d be very keen to hear your view on the advance side of things? Also any advice on the best way to go about negotiating theses kind of contracts, if say your have 3 or 4 offers? (I’m waiting for 2 contracts to come back now, and e-mails showing potentail interest from others)

A bit concerned that you say you’d rarely see any of the commssion spilt? you mean some may sell my music, be untruthful about how many sold to inturn withhold profit? I’ve read that this can be the case to. Any advice here?

[quote]gofunk (05/08/2010)[hr][quote]bryan spence (05/08/2010)[hr][quote]gofunk (04/08/2010)[hr][quote]bryan spence (03/08/2010)[hr]agreed,

its a good name building exercise however, you have got to start somewhere[/quote]

Cheer Bryan, yeah I have a good idea of what to expect regarding spilts - read a lot on info on the over the net.

A lot of the info also says it is in my best interest to ask for an advance, might not be a big one as it is EDM and all that. But I’d be very keen to hear your view on the advance side of things? Also any advice on the best way to go about negotiating theses kind of contracts, if say your have 3 or 4 offers? (I’m waiting for 2 contracts to come back now, and e-mails showing potentail interest from others)

A bit concerned that you say you’d rarely see any of the commssion spilt? you mean some may sell my music, be untruthful about how many sold to inturn withhold profit? I’ve read that this can be the case to. Any advice here?

[/quote]

I’d also be really interested to hear about this. I haven’t signed my contract yet and have told them i’ll give them an EP when i finish this track im working on, an advance would REALLY help me out, even if it’s small.

Wouldn’t even have a clue as to what kinda figure to negotiate for example.

Have you seen your contract yet roben? I got confirmation from 1 label today that one is bening drawen up and will be with me next week… still waiting to hear back from the other 2 offers to sign…

But yeah, Bryan, please do tell us more!

if you are new to the scene, i don’t think you can expect anything more than £150 for an advance.

it all depends how much faith you have that your track will sell.

if its a big label then you should see some money coming in from your %.

although if its a big label you should also expect an advance.

basically if your track only sells 50-100 copies, and you are contracted to 50/50 splits.

that is - taking 70 copies as the sale - 70 x £1.99 = £139

minus the site that is selling its cut @ about 50% = £69 for the label.

which leaves you with £34

most labels will have it stipulated that you will only get paid when your cut is over for example £50 or £100.

and some of them write your cut off against “PR” etc.

so you simply may just never see your share.

so that is why its hard to get an advance. the label have got to be confident that your track will sell £600 worth - or over 300 copies before its worth their while to give you a £150 advance.

nothing to get disheartened about - as i say its a name building exercise - and you never know. you may sell 3000 copies. at which point you will be getting a cheque for your share.