D.CAM Synth Squad

Basically speaking if you use fusor you can stack together 3 instances of strobe each strobe can stack and detune 5 saws per voice with 16 voices and 16 unison’s. i’ve tried this today but my cpu breaks up so basically speaking its capable of a huge sound if you have the cpu to handle it. i don’t know if its gonna be to the same level as the TI Hypersaw but at a guess i would say it is.

Anyone that wants to hear the sound, please send me a pm with your email address and I will email you a link to check it out. I will also put up some samples of different presets for all to hear the sounds first hand. Ill do a few sounds per synth (obviously there are three synths).

[quote]jon_fisher

do you have a sample of a supersaw created on a virus or jp8080 for comparison that you could upload ???[/quote]

Jon if I had a jp8080 or a virus I wouldn’t need dcam for supersaws. :smiley:

Was interesting to hear dcam could technically produce a supersaw but I am not so sure I am impressed to hear the cpu cost would be out of reach for all but the most powerful setups.

For an audio example you could checkout Rank1 Airwave.

[url]Airwave - Rank 1 (Video) - YouTube

or Armin van burren’s Communication.

[quote]Was interesting to hear dcam could technically produce a supersaw but I am not so sure I am impressed to hear the cpu cost would be out of reach for all but the most powerful setups.

For an audio example you could checkout Rank1 Airwave.[/quote]

JP8080 all the way, the virus was never that renowned for the supersaw.

Check this out, I always find it impressive considering its a free synth and ultra low on cpu. Devastated its not mac compatible though!

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj9VBb1tO88]Rank1 Strings / SuperSaw Tutorial - YouTube

Rank 1 - airwave = best trance song ever made! Happy Days…

[quote]krome (8/22/2009)[hr][quote]jon_fisher

do you have a sample of a supersaw created on a virus or jp8080 for comparison that you could upload ???[/quote]

Jon if I had a jp8080 or a virus I wouldn’t need dcam for supersaws. :smiley:

Was interesting to hear dcam could technically produce a supersaw but I am not so sure I am impressed to hear the cpu cost would be out of reach for all but the most powerful setups.

For an audio example you could checkout Rank1 Airwave.

[url]Airwave - Rank 1 (Video) - YouTube

or Armin van burren’s Communication.

[/quote]

i was presuming you was going to be putting the sample up beside the JP8080 :slight_smile:

The Dcam would preform a lot better if i was on a more powerful machine, as it is i only run a 2ghz with 2 gig ram so i am possibly running one of the lowest spec machines on this forum :slight_smile:

[quote]jon_fisher (8/22/2009)

i was presuming you was going to be putting the sample up beside the JP8080 :slight_smile:

The Dcam would preform a lot better if i was on a more powerful machine, as it is i only run a 2ghz with 2 gig ram so i am possibly running one of the lowest spec machines on this forum :)[/quote]

Spare a thought for us lesser mortals.

I am still running on a pimped up zx81 lol

Seriously though I am still searching for a softsynth that is on par with the VirusTI.

The closest I’ve ever got was with the Zebra2 but there’s something about the zebra soundwise that just don’t cut it. I can’t explain the last comment.

G-hunter, I remember that youtube demo from a while back and although its bloody good once again to my ears at least it don’t cut the mustard.

Agree about Rank1 airwave, certainly one of the best trance tracks of all time although Communication has the inside track on it imo.

was the JP8080 a 6,8 or 10 saw and detune stack i honestly can’t remember ?

Jon I really didn’t know the answer to that so I had a quick look on wiki and here’s a quote from it.

“The Supersaw is a special waveform originally created by Roland for their JP-8000 and JP-8080 line of analog modeling synthesizers. The idea behind the Supersaw is to emulate the sound of more than one sawtooth oscillator using just one oscillator. The waveform is described as a freerun oscillator and its shape is produced from 7 sawtooth oscillators detuned against each other over a period of time.”

Hope that helps.

yeah thats cool i’ll have another go at making the super saw sound, i’ll be doing the sound raw with no effects because most software can be made to sound expensive once covered with effects.

i have zerbra2 and its a great synth but to my ears at least DCAM is in a different league when i flick through the presets.

this file is just a single note at C3 with no fx and i am by no means a synth programmer or sound designer and its only a guess as to what a supersaw is.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/580r2l

I have a friend that works with a few very big techno producers that have had number 1 tracks multiple times and are headliners for many events all over the world. After receiving the DCAM, all but one (because I dont know if he has it yet) absolutely LOVE the synth. They say that it is the BEST soft synth they have ever heard in their lives. They also say that it competes with the best hardware out on the market. These are pretty strong words in my opinion. So maybe it doesn’t produce the absolute best supersaw ever heard, but its supersaw sound is pretty damn good. And the synth that it might be competing with on that specific sound, probably can’t create much of the other sounds that this synth CAN create. So…you can go spend $249 on the best soft synth ever produced IMO and many others, or you can go spend $5000 on hardware to try and recreate what three separate synths DCAM has with however much hardware you have to buy to recreate its sound. There is a good chance that you might not even get sound that good. Did I mention how much of a pain in the *ss it is to run hardware? I would rather run software and MIDI all day long over hardware. Just my $.02. Feel free to ridicule me.

Peace! :cool:

not ridicule there bud, i’ve had my hardware set up and the only thing i ever missed was the hands on feel. that can be easily gotten with a few well set up midi devices.

i for one will never go back to hardware now software synths are going this well :slight_smile:

sounds great but would be cool to get at least a demo to try the soft …

yeah i couldn’t wait lol, the demo won’t be out for sometime according to the rep at fxpansion.

to be fair the only problem i would see with this synth is if you’re the sort of person to update your machine on a monthly basis it could become a problem to you, the software is Hardware Authorized so if you upgrade your harddrive or add more memory or a new graphics card then you will use another license to reactivate it (at least to my understanding anyway) its ok as you will get 3 licenses but after that you’ll need to either buy new license or beg for Fxpansion to rest you authorizations.

[quote]jon_fisher (8/23/2009)[hr]yeah i couldn’t wait lol, the demo won’t be out for sometime according to the rep at fxpansion.

to be fair the only problem i would see with this synth is if you’re the sort of person to update your machine on a monthly basis it could become a problem to you, the software is Hardware Authorized so if you upgrade your harddrive or add more memory or a new graphics card then you will use another license to reactivate it (at least to my understanding anyway) its ok as you will get 3 licenses but after that you’ll need to either buy new license or beg for Fxpansion to rest you authorizations.[/quote]

Really, thats nasty indeed! I honestly dont understand why people dislike dongles so much. I really cant see one bad thing with them.

dongles are fine with me too makes life easier when you want to change systems :slight_smile:

there are much better soft synths than dcam.these were designed for beginners and cleverly marketed through key people.i will say the price is very reasonable though and fusor offers up some pretty cool sound design possibilities and the over all sound quality of dcam is quite nice.basically al im saying is dont miss out on really nice software(the kind the people you look up to are actually using) just because you saw a couple of future music videos and deadmau5 has a song titled strobe.

even papen is targeted the beginner market.people are talking about how great the sound from his “new” synth (the subboombass) is and attributing it to countless peoples sounds in a similar fashion to the way people are doing it with the dcam pack, but its just his predator synth stripped down of all its bells and whistles repackaged with a funny skin.

[quote]painlessmatthew (8/23/2009)[hr]there are much better soft synths than dcam.these were designed for beginners and cleverly marketed through key people.i will say the price is very reasonable though and fusor offers up some pretty cool sound design possibilities and the over all sound quality of dcam is quite nice.basically al im saying is dont miss out on really nice software(the kind the people you look up to are actually using) just because you saw a couple of future music videos and deadmau5 has a song titled strobe.[/quote]

it’s not about beginners synth or about simplicity but more about the fact that fxpansion has created brand nu algorythms that recreate the sound of hardware …:slight_smile:

hope my english is clear enough …

[quote]painlessmatthew (8/23/2009)[hr]there are much better soft synths than dcam.these were designed for beginners and cleverly marketed through key people.i will say the price is very reasonable though and fusor offers up some pretty cool sound design possibilities and the over all sound quality of dcam is quite nice.basically al im saying is dont miss out on really nice software(the kind the people you look up to are actually using) just because you saw a couple of future music videos and deadmau5 has a song titled strobe.[/quote]

Unless you own the d.cam you shouldn’t say its better or worse than any synth as you really don’t know. As for it being marketed at beginners, I dont see how you have came to this conclusion. Maybe because the layout of the synth is so well spaced apart? I think if you looked more into the modulation features on the synth you would see that its more than just beginner level.

Your 100% right about deadmau5 though, really wish he handnt had commented as he name seems to appear wherever the d.cam is on the internet.

Iv used A LOT of synths in my time and so will be able to comment on its performance and against other synths, but not until tomorrow when it arrives :slight_smile: