D.CAM Synth Squad

when you look into the modulation options on these synths you’ll see they are far from beginner synths, besides that’s not what matters! its the sound and flexibility im after.

I agree. You shouldn’t comment on a synth you have neither fully heard nor used. I know of a couple pros that use this and they said that it’s the only soft synth they will use. IT SOUNDS AMAZING!!! But if you think its targeted for beginners, you are seriously mistaken. The transmod system is the most difficult feature I have ever found in a synth but it is the key into making extremely interesting sounds.

Yeah though, the Deadmau5 thing is right, but it just shows that pros are using soft synths rather than hardware to make their sounds.

[quote]howiegroove (8/24/2009)[hr]I agree. You shouldn’t comment on a synth you have neither fully heard nor used. I know of a couple pros that use this and they said that it’s the only soft synth they will use. IT SOUNDS AMAZING!!! But if you think its targeted for beginners, you are seriously mistaken. [/quote]

i beta tested dcam.im sure you know a lot of pros.

[quote]painlessmatthew (8/23/2009)[hr].i will say the price is very reasonable though and fusor offers up some pretty cool sound design possibilities and the over all sound quality of dcam is quite nice.basically al im saying is dont miss out on really nice software(the kind the people you look up to are actually using) just because you saw a couple of future music videos and deadmau5 has a song titled strobe.[/quote]

quoted because i think youve missed the plot

[quote]painlessmatthew (8/24/2009)[hr][quote]howiegroove (8/24/2009)[hr]I agree. You shouldn’t comment on a synth you have neither fully heard nor used. I know of a couple pros that use this and they said that it’s the only soft synth they will use. IT SOUNDS AMAZING!!! But if you think its targeted for beginners, you are seriously mistaken. [/quote]

i beta tested dcam.im sure you know a lot of pros.[/quote]

Actually, I know three professional producers. Maybe you should be a little clearer when you post something that can be misconstrued. I didn’t know just anyone could be a beta tester for DCAM. From what I understood, there were only a few big name producers beta testing it for FXPansion.

Howie - is it right DCAM comes with a built in step sequencer? That’s one thing I really miss in Ableton. It would be great to have a plugin instrument that has one.

[quote]wickedged (8/25/2009)[hr]Howie - is it right DCAM comes with a built in step sequencer? That’s one thing I really miss in Ableton. It would be great to have a plugin instrument that has one.[/quote]

It does have one in Fusor, which is the combinor. I haven’t used it yet though.

Well iv finally got it installed in front of me and must say there is so much to this package its crazy. Its way more than just 3 synths.

So how does it sound… Great in a word. Probably not as amazing as all the hype around it would make you think which to be honest though was beyond a joke. That said I am currently only using a pair of headphones until I buy a set of monitors which will make a huge difference. Best filters are still on the waldorf largo in my opinion (which I haven’t bought but demoed).

The best thing I like about this synth is it really thinks its analogue with all of its crazy fluctuations and simulated ‘analogue’ controllers. It gives a new shine on soft synths.

I have a 8 core mac and so takes this in its stride but it only takes afew changes to get the cpu up to 50% with one patch. No drop-outs though. Thats the dilemma with synths these days: either buy an expensive bit of hardware that any computer can record from or a very expensive computer that can run top end soft synths!

Ill definitively keep the d.cam as its a bargain for the price, plus I got v-station for free. I dont want to talk about it too much as Iv only went through afew presets and feel as though I need to delve deeper before I give proper feedback.

I will add one more thing to that. Something I did not realize is that all the individual synths (strobe, amber, cypher) do not have built in effects! For me personally this is a wonderful thing as my idea of a great synth is one that sounds good dry and doesnt rely on effects (nord for example!).

Fusor has the power to add effects though so dont worry, your not missing out.

[quote]g-hunter (8/25/2009)[hr]I will add one more thing to that. Something I did not realize is that all the individual synths (strobe, amber, cypher) do not have built in effects! For me personally this is a wonderful thing as my idea of a great synth is one that sounds good dry and doesnt rely on effects (nord for example!).

Fusor has the power to add effects though so dont worry, your not missing out.[/quote]

thats why i really rated this synth it sound great dry. so you don’t feel like you’re trying to polish a turd

[quote]howiegroove (8/25/2009)[hr][quote]painlessmatthew (8/24/2009)[hr][quote]howiegroove (8/24/2009)[hr]I agree. You shouldn’t comment on a synth you have neither fully heard nor used. I know of a couple pros that use this and they said that it’s the only soft synth they will use. IT SOUNDS AMAZING!!! But if you think its targeted for beginners, you are seriously mistaken. [/quote]

Actually, I know three professional producers. Maybe you should be a little clearer when you post something that can be misconstrued. I didn’t know just anyone could be a beta tester for DCAM. From what I understood, there were only a few big name producers beta testing it for FXPansion.[/quote]

:slight_smile:

[quote]painlessmatthew (8/27/2009)[hr][quote]howiegroove (8/25/2009)[hr][quote]painlessmatthew (8/24/2009)[hr][quote]howiegroove (8/24/2009)[hr]I agree. You shouldn’t comment on a synth you have neither fully heard nor used. I know of a couple pros that use this and they said that it’s the only soft synth they will use. IT SOUNDS AMAZING!!! But if you think its targeted for beginners, you are seriously mistaken. [/quote]

Actually, I know three professional producers. Maybe you should be a little clearer when you post something that can be misconstrued. I didn’t know just anyone could be a beta tester for DCAM. From what I understood, there were only a few big name producers beta testing it for FXPansion.[/quote]

:)[/quote]

Was that a hint that you are a big name producer? :slight_smile:

To add to the debate I would say d.cam definitely isnt a go-2 synth in my opinion. Sonically though its very very strong and will no doubt get used alot in my productions.

Mr Hunter…I’m definitely not a big name producer! :cool:

Too many quotes in quotes there. I thought the comment I was refering too was made by painlessmatthew! My mistake…

i thought so too. :wink: