Deadmau5 is the biggest tool EVER!

This is a c/p from another website. Discuss…

There are some artists that won’t open up and actually say anything in interviews.

And then there’s Joel Zimmerman, aka Deadmau5.

In an interview with the Irish Daily Star, Deadmau5 had this to say about today’s DJs:

It puts me to ***** sleep, to be quite honest; I don’t really see the technical merit in playing two songs at the same speed together and it bores me to ***** tears.

And, hopefully, with all due respect to the DJ type that will ***** go the way of the dinosaur, I’d like them to dis-a-*****-pear!

It’s so middle man. They’re like ***** lawyers!. You need them, but they’re ***** ****s!

God bless them, they’re my number one customer, right, so I’m not gonna go dis every ***** DJ.

But to say you become this massive, “up on a podium” performer by playing other peoples productions, at the same speed as someone else’s productions and fading between the two of them, I don’t get it…

Is that any way to talk about your number one customer?

Zimmerman may not be silver-tongued, but you know where he’s coming from.

WooooooO WWOoooooWWWOOooooowwoooo!!!

On a very very basic level I understand his point about 2 records at the same speed. But anyone with an ounce of nouse knows it’s not as simple as that.

He doesn’t really do much more when he plays, just pushes buttons, and all DJs make their own tunes now anyway (at that level).

Just being deliberately inflammatory. He loves it, and it wont be long before someone lamps him for it I suspect.

Is that not a really old interview though?

“I remember” reading something very similar a long time ago… he got a load of flak for it. As usual.

Yeah, there used to be a video that went with it as well. I can’t seem to source it ATM…

I guess he thinks he’s a big enough artist now that he can say what he likes and who F**cking cares who’s listening… I’m sure if he went back to hearing one of his first tracks being played in a club, he wouldn’t go over to the dj and call him a useless knob.

Dj’s have their place in the clubbing / house music scene as much as he has his place on beatport, Rooney has his place at Man utd and Chris Moyles has his place on Radio 1!!!

Talent, necessity and arrogance can all come in the same package but they can all survive separately too!

The problem with only playing your own stuff is that, unless you produce loads of new stuff all the time your sets start to sounds real samey real fast.

I had this problem with 2 Many DJs. I love em, but their sets just don’t vary enough. You can not see them for a year and when you do again it just doesn’t have anything new…

[quote]bangthenailsin (28/10/2010)[hr]On a very very basic level I understand his point about 2 records at the same speed. But anyone with an ounce of nouse knows it’s not as simple as that.

He doesn’t really do much more when he plays, just pushes buttons, and all DJs make their own tunes now anyway (at that level).

Just being deliberately inflammatory. He loves it, and it wont be long before someone lamps him for it I suspect.[/quote]

I for one agree with him. I can’t stand guys who are JUST Djs…

As a promoter, I met dozens upon dozens of strictly DJs that walk around like they are god’s gift to earth… when in reality they are not creating sh*t… but they love 2 pretend as tho they are. lol the “focused look” on tweaking EQ on a mixer cracks me up.

And to your statement that all the DJs at that level make their own music is just not true. Carl Cox for instance is a great DJ been around forever and he doesnt make music…Eddie Halliwell, Bad Boy Bill, and the list can go on if you want… but they dont make music either.

sure there is more to DJing then just using the crossfader, but its not rocket science. pretty much ANYBODY can learn to Dj if they take the time and effort to learn the basics. they wont be the greatest DJ of all time, but you can learn. thats why they made it idiot proof and created the DJ Hero Game. cause its easy as hell 2 do.

is it smart of Deadmau to throw is customer base under the bus? probably not… BUT i dunno if you guys saw it or not, but he got voted #3 this year by DJ Mag… Armin, Guetta and then Deadmau. He’s going to be making so much money from his gigs now that it really doesnt matter. Take it how you want to, but I think its hilarious.

i’ve said it before… but like CDs and Vinyl before that… Live PA is gunna be the future for all electronic dance music artists. If you don’t believe me thats OK… but thats the way the direction is going. The technology is here now and its only going to get better. So in all fact, he’s pretty much spot on about the way of the dinosaur.

Carl Cox has been making music for nearly 20 years!

Carl Cox | Discography | Discogs

Those that don’t produce are probably the exception to the rule, or very special behind the decks then, either way negating Deadmau5’s point.

There is Guitar Hero too, so not sure that means much.

Agreed though about the rest.

[quote]UnitedVision (28/10/2010)[hr][quote]bangthenailsin (28/10/2010)[hr]On a very very basic level I understand his point about 2 records at the same speed. But anyone with an ounce of nouse knows it’s not as simple as that.

Just being deliberately inflammatory. He loves it, and it wont be long before someone lamps him for it I suspect.[/quote]

As a promoter, I met dozens upon dozens of strictly DJs that walk around like they are god’s gift to earth… when in reality they are not creating sh*t… but they love 2 pretend as tho they are. lol the “focused look” on tweaking EQ on a mixer cracks me up.

And to your statement that all the DJs at that level make their own music is just not true. Carl Cox for instance is a great DJ been around forever and he doesnt make music…Eddie Halliwell, Bad Boy Bill, and the list can go on if you want… but they dont make music either.

sure there is more to DJing then just using the crossfader, but its not rocket science. pretty much ANYBODY can learn to Dj if they take the time and effort to learn the basics. they wont be the greatest DJ of all time, but you can learn. thats why they made it idiot proof and created the DJ Hero Game. cause its easy as hell 2 do.

is it smart of Deadmau to throw is customer base under the bus? probably not… BUT i dunno if you guys saw it or not, but he got voted #3 this year by DJ Mag… Armin, Guetta and then Deadmau. He’s going to be making so much money from his gigs now that it really doesnt matter. Take it how you want to, but I think its hilarious.

i’ve said it before… but like CDs and Vinyl before that… Live PA is gunna be the future for all electronic dance music artists. If you don’t believe me thats OK… but thats the way the direction is going. The technology is here now and its only going to get better. So in all fact, he’s pretty much spot on about the way of the dinosaur.

[/quote]

[center][/center]

[center][/center]

[center][/center]

[quote]IC_NO_ONE (28/10/2010)[hr]Is that not a really old interview though?

“I remember” reading something very similar a long time ago… he got a load of flak for it. As usual.[/quote]

no he just say’s it at every opportunity he gets, he’s like a broken record. if only he watched his own interviews or listened to his own work and set over again he would realise just how ***** boring he is.

[quote]UnitedVision (28/10/2010)[hr][quote]bangthenailsin (28/10/2010)[hr]On a very very basic level I understand his point about 2 records at the same speed. But anyone with an ounce of nouse knows it’s not as simple as that.

[/quote]

TBF I couldn’t find any Eddie Halliwell… :stuck_out_tongue:

TBH it boils down to people, in all walks of life there are those that think they’re better than everyone else, arrogant and would walk over your dying corpse to get ahead but on the other hand there are those that never get ahead, they’re talented but they don’t want to be in the lime light they enjoy what they do but they don’t want to be drawn into all that nonsense.

These people will never be huge stars but they’re satisfied with what they have and they don’t big themselves up that they are super talented when clearly they aren’t.

On the rare occasion I Dj now and when I played more regularly in the past, it wasn’t for the money or the notoriety. It was because I loved the music, I loved to party but above all it made me feel good to watch other people enjoy themselves!

He’s mentioned this before in an older interview, he’s just being an idiot.

It’s more than just mixing one record into another, if all you did was that then the dancefloor would get bored.

Working your set and the dancefloor is probably the most important aspect to DJing, you could be sh*t hot at mixing but if you’re not playing to the crowd, you’ll lose them.

Anyways it’s a skill like anything other, lets talk about racing car drivers, they don’t make the cars, but they still drive them? Putting deadmau5 way of thinking on for this next statement “all they do is turn left and right and put their foot down on the gas, i don’t get it”

Golfers, they don’t make the clubs or the balls but they still use them… deadmau5: “all they do is swing the golf club and pot the ball in the hole, i don’t get it”

"But to say you become this massive, “up on a podium” performer by playing other peoples productions, at the same speed as someone else’s productions and fading between the two of them, I don’t get "

The same can be said for nearly every thing else in life.

And anyways, i’ve seen him play twice and all he does is load his tunes up on Ableton and lets that do all the work whilst he nods his giant mau5 head and occasionally waves his arms in the air, “i dont get it”.

its great pr for him and i think its old

i wrote an article ages ago about my take on the current state of dj’ing

http://www.clearthedancefloor.com/2010/03/the-rise-of-the-image-dj/

This is really old. Even though he has some valid points there are better ways to get your points accross this is a definate publicity stunt. Further more i cant think of any big name dj’s that dont produce and even the few that dont like for example Eddie Halliwel have other qualities like showmanship and real turntabalist skills. A big comeback for the true dj/turtabalist is to say “well Joel we do everything you dont on stage the only difference is we use cdj’s and a mixer where as you get a computer program to do all your tricks for you”. Just two sides of the coin. Also i dont think big name dj’s go to play a gig thinking oh yeah im gonna blow this crowd away with my awesome 30 second mixdowns i think its more the easiest way for an electronic artist to perform their music as a band would when touring their album. Also i think Joel overlooks certain skills a dj may have. Even if as a dj you dont do any tricks you still have to read the crowd, track selection, energy flow, drive and where in tracks you mix in or out.

i knew I was gunna get flamed for making that post but…

Bad Boy Bill 4 a fact doesnt make sh*t. He “directs other producers”… big difference.

Coxy is the same way… I know this because I have friends that work for Intec.

If those guys actually made music they would put out more tracks then once every 10 years.

DONT get me wrong. BBB & CC are awesome. Ive seen them both & met them both. They are cool guys 4 sure. And great DJs. Not saying they don’t have talent or merit… Behind the Decks 2 was one of the BEST Cds I’ve ever heard. But show me a track on there that was made by BBB. None of them were. There is a reason for that.

both Cox & BBB own big stuff. Intec being a huge label because hes been DJing for 20 years. Bad Boy Bill owns freaking beatport along with John Acquaviva. Obviously having those on board help big time.

i didnt just randomly throw those names out there. this really goes on guys.

AND to Phil J’s point he made to me before. You wouldn’t get all over a director for not setting up the lights on the movie set. so there is merit in doing what they do, but its not the same thing by any means.

I am in no way promoting being an arrogant asshole. But I am agreeing with the mau5 that DJs in general are going the way-side…

Tbh im sure deadmau5 is a very skilled producer and general tech head but i really dont get why his sound is so popular especially clubland to me it sounds like music you would listen to in a loungy bar or something to relax with. I also want to make the point that Armin is the only dj ever to win No 1 4 years on the trot. He is a really cool down to earth guy who everyone just naturally likes hes just a very normal guy that everyone can relate to and can identify things that he says or does or how he acts that people can find similarities with. I think this is a big reason for why he has stayed at the top. I mean wether you like his music or not everybody just likes Armin. I also think progressive house a la deadmau5 might just be a fad, it will really show skill and character for him to progress and vary his sounds for him to stay at the top but if he does then hats off to him.