Disco | Tech House

Can we have an updated tutorial on Disco / Tech House:

Yes you can.

Most of these track are based on a disco sample so im working on a how to make a chic style disco loop. Then ill make that into a discohouse tune.

Have a few disco loops done and they are sounding pretty good.

Very nice, I am excited, can you tell us more about these disco samples? How are they usually done?

Also, very interested in phat drums used on most of these tunes, so when you doing the tutorial could please please please focus on the drum tracks as well. They all have this distinctive kick, maybe suggest where it comes from?

Thanks guys!

Go here and search for olav basoski and you will see the samples hes used in differnt tracks.

Also do a search for chic… One of the most sampled disco groups.

Thanks Phil, you da man!!!

Thanks Phil for that link. That’s a nice database.

The first part is up… Making Disco Loops!!

This was great. Went into it with a slightly cynical view, usually when people try to make sampled based styles of music without using real samples it comes off lacking something. Was pleasently surprised how authentic this came out. Can’t wait for the full track.

Sounds really good Phil, thanks! Can’t wait to see the rest of this one.

This is a real coincidence I was only watching the latest in the studio with from future music magazine with Alex metric, and he’s doing a similar thing with disco loops… if this interests you then check it out!

You’re becoming the best Dance music resource on the web :slight_smile: Thnx guys, pleasure to be a part of the team.

Phil,

How can I reproduce the sound of the Disco guitar? I personally do not have a guitar player handy, nor do I want to be limited to the provided by you disco guitars, which by the way are awesome!!!

I understand they are basically different Minor 7th chord progressions.

From your experience please let us know what is:

1. Good PAID sample library we can use for these nice Minor 7th samples
  2. Guitar VST that is good for that disco guitar sound. I love the Nexus/Kontakt guitars, but is there a specific patch that will work the best?)

I also love how you did the drums for the new disco loop tutorial. Using tape saturation, etc. Like I said before, in the next upcoming/related tutorials, could you please focus a lot on the drum programming/processing to get that bigger, phatter drum sound. I think the community would really appreciate it as our dance world is all about them drums :slight_smile: I personally own a lot of different sample libraries and if you cannot include samples for resource download, you can let us know what you are using so we can purchase the samples and use them in our productions. Please try!!!

Hi Phil.

I just just wanted to say a big thank you for covering this genre of house. It has always been my favorite style. Iv been DJ’ing for over 10 years now and Olav’s tracks go down a storm. People go crazy for them on the dance floor. I have only been producing about 2 years but have my first release out on the 13th July, all thanks to SA and your Tuts.

This is deffo my sound. I have always known but struggled with production. I think that this is really going to help me a lot. Im guessing that you will be covering arrangement too. Fingers crossed. Thanks again.:slight_smile:

Paul.

[quote]beepbeep (29/05/2011)[hr]
1. Good PAID sample library we can use for these nice Minor 7th samples
2. Guitar VST that is good for that disco guitar sound. I love the Nexus/Kontakt guitars, but is there a specific patch that will work the best?)

[/quote]

Try this:

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/powered-by-kontakt/scarbee-funk-guitarist/

Come on Phil! Where’s this disco house, Olav Basoski style tutorial??

I’ve been waiting 17 days since you first mentioned it!

U said this week?? :smiley:

Uploading now… Will be up in a few hours

I can’t wait for this, feels like christmas!!

can’t wait

[quote]phil johnston (10/06/2011)[hr]Uploading now… Will be up in a few hours[/quote]

YES! YES! :w00t:

so far the best Tutorial for me . lots of good stuff :D. Great job Phill