Focusrite Vrm Box...Loads of speakers in tiny box, but is it magic?

I’m thinking of buying Focusrite Vrm Box, anyone tried one?

Music Radar review:

[url=http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/recording/vrm-box-401591/review]http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/recording/vrm-box-401591/review[/url]

dude i bought one last week n i have to say i am loving it. i am using the vrm with a pair of hd650’s.i make techno and before i bought the vrm i was using the headphones alone and when i played my tunes back on different systems they sounded pretty poor. i have mixed them down again using the vrm box and listened back to them on hi fi systems and i have to say that they are my best mixes so far, they sounded alot more clearer and you can here the reverb and frequencies clearly so i am so glad i bought it and for the price you cant really go wrong. i would recommend though that you use a decent pair of reference  headphones.

Thanks for the review - i was looking into this as well. I think there is also an audio interface that also has the same technology. Does anyone know which audio interface contains the VRM technology - i’m sure i read it somewhere.

[quote]mejaques_uk@hotmail.com (22/03/2011)[hr]… Does anyone know which audio interface contains the VRM technology - i’m sure i read it somewhere.[/quote]

Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP

Thanks for that

thanks housebrigade, and welcome to the forum…but I hope that you here for more than just talking about VRM box :wink:

sound like its got way to much reverb at the low end to me, nothing like the demo on the web page but then the demo is not EDM…

Anyone else have this, I wonder if there is something wrong with mine because its dosent sound good at all - just sound like they have covered the low end in reverb and moved the stereo positioning

hmmm I guess I’m just going have to check it out for myself, the post above seems to be from PR team at Focusrite.

But it has good reviews from sound on sound and future music

call me a cynic but it does seem to be too good to be true

Wayne, your not selling it to me. Let me know if you get it sounding better. Had a look in FM and it had a good review there not normally that bad the review seem to be pretty honest!! Good luck

Its nice little external soundcard and headphone amp which is what I was looking for - I went for this cause its just about the same price as an Audio DJ2 or something like that + I had store credit.

I’ve asked to shop to fire one up on some EDM and tell me what the low end is like in case mine is buggered…

Maybe is meant to be like this - if you listen to the demo on the webpage the track they use have very little low end, well when compared to EDM anyway.

I’ll let you know what the shop says tomorrow.

Now then i didn’t even realise it was a soundcard as well doh!!!

Whats this EDM thing you keep mentioning? Not clued up on what that means!!!

electronic dance music

Seems that VRM technology is exactly the same as in Saffire Pro 24, here is the review of that: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov09/articles/focusritesaffirepro24dsp.htm

it could just be the it takes a bit of ear trainning. I was useing it again last nigh, turning it on and off and I just played back my track and it sounds good. I did have the kick and bass turned off a lot cause the low end sounds funny as hell. I’m still not 100% because as I said they demo on their web page sounds very different.

Tell u what however, get a pair of krk 8400 headphones, they are really really good.

i think the headphones u use will also play a big part in the sound u get from the vrm. when i first used the vrm i didnt like the sound coming out and just couldnt get my head round it, after a few hours i even put a sort of negative comment on youtube about it. but then a day or two later the sound grew on me  and now i totally understand it and i admit i really love it now. i’v been loading some of my old tunes in cubase  and listenin to them through the vrm and tweaking up the mixes, burning them and listening back and the mixes are so better. i know its not the same as mixing on monitors but id say it could be the next best thing. i cant really get monitors here as i live in a flat.

[quote]gofunk (23/03/2011)[hr]Its nice little external soundcard and headphone amp which is what I was looking for - I went for this cause its just about the same price as an Audio DJ2 or something like that + I had store credit.

I’ve asked to shop to fire one up on some EDM and tell me what the low end is like in case mine is buggered…

Maybe is meant to be like this - if you listen to the demo on the webpage the track they use have very little low end, well when compared to EDM anyway.

I’ll let you know what the shop says tomorrow.[/quote]

Wayne can you give an update on this please. Did the skop get back to you? Whats the botoom end like - was looking to buy it this week. Hope you can help

turns out the reason why it sounded so crap was because of EQ’ing according to the shop. I dont have sub in my studio but the vrm box emulates this. a little EQ’ing on on the low end of the kick and bass sorted out the bad stuff I mentioned and the shop was right. It was sounding like this because I couldnt here these frequencies on my KRK’s!!

So overall conclusion - a very good bit of kit for checking mixs and I would say try it 1st but overall worth getting. Excellent how it points out stuff you wouldnt hear on monitors :smiley:

How strange, i was reading about this product in the FM mag the other day, looks really great and i checked out the sample sounds on their soundcloud, sounds wicked!

I’m really liking the idea and was interested in buying it.

thanks for the info mate!

I think it’s avery good offer! I was using Redline Monitor from 112db but that only helps with stereo image and it’s £60! So it seems that VRM is the winner!