Fxpansion Guru

Dont know if anyone is interested but i know a lot of dance producers swear by guru for their beats. Well the next edition of Computer music out soon has a free version of it - not sure what the difference is between this and the full version - guess we will have to wait and see.

I’ve got Guru.

Looking @ the Pic in the Mag, theres no Groove control which is pretty much the reason why people love Guru.

Its a really cut down version by the looks… has all the nice repeating glitchy graph parameters that the big version has. Doubt its multi out / timbral. Yeah… just looked and Guru has 8 Engines. This only has one. 8 Engines means that you can have 8 totally different Kits of 16 samples running at the same time.

I think its another sign that they’re nearly ready to release Guru 2. It’ll be a nice intro to the new & improved version that they’re beta testing @ the moment.

If you dont have it… get it next issue. Its great making a pattern & dragging it into the arrange.

I’ve been using it a lot today as I’m making a template here. I’ve set up my arrange so that I’ve got the 8 engines visible… so that I can drag & drop the individual midis on to each & it’ll trigger Guru. Plan to use then for Perc, Hats etc…

Also have the output of each engine routed to its own Aux so that I can compress / EQ them seperately. I’ve been meaning to do it for ages… now I’ll use it a lot more.

Its really cool. But its all about the Groove templates in it.

Thanks for the update - i know its mostly about the groove function. i’ll proably buy the mag anyway so makes no odds.

Has anyone tried both this and microtonic? Just wondering about the comparison.

Guru has been off interest to me - so thanks

Hi all,

The CM version does have the groove templates, it’s just a slightly different layout to v1.5 / v1.6.

The main things it’s lacking are the multiple engines, the engine mixer / effects, the snapshot scenes and the audio export feature.

One other reason to pick up CM155 - we’ll be mailing all registered Guru-CM users a very special offer on Guru v1.6 in the next couple o’ weeks.

Hope this helps,

Angus.

Angus is the most travelled man on the Net!

Thats cool about the Grooves… Can you Drag & Drop in it too?

Anyone get this months issue of Computer Music & try out CM Guru yet?

If anyone gets stuck with it I can probably help ya ;) :slight_smile:

But its fairly straightforward :cool:

[quote]ICN (31/07/2010)[hr]Anyoneget this months issue of Computer Music & try out CM Guru yet?

If anyone gets stuck with itI can probably help ya;) :slight_smile:

But its fairly straightforward :cool:[/quote]

Yeah will be fiddlimg tomorrow :slight_smile:

Cool Man…

I’m off on an excursion tomorrow from about 1030 to about 1500-ish maybe… so apologies if I dont answer straight away. I’m away for the Night in a Mates… but I’ll definitely check back in over the Evo if you’re loading it up Slender :cool:

You have to run a licence manager for it. I’d a bit of problem with it, but found out you had to run it from the DVD. Theres a button to run the manager on the GUI, but it didnt work. Theres a Thread here on the FX Forum: [url]ROLI Software : ROLI Support

Just run the App from the Guru CM / Installer / Data_LM

Theres a couple of settings in Guru that you might want to change in Options on the front of the GUI.

1. Enable Tool Tips. Found in the Misc Tab. This will give you a value onscreen of how much you are adjusting things.

2. Sequencer Retardation. Found in the Audio Tab. If you find the 1st beat of Guru is not hitting correctly when you hit play in your sequencer, try a setting of 100ticks.

But its very intuitive… thats what I love about it.

Dont forget to put a line of 16th’s in it & f*** around with the groove. :cool:

Its on 10% Dirty Swing by default… scroll down that menu & you’ll find Swing Thing… 40 - 50% is setting that sounds minimal.

You can drag & drop the pattern from the “pattern buttons” onto your arrange.

When you do, hit Guru onto an empty pattern button or stick the Mode to “Gate” rather than “Sync”… so that it doesnt play double or flam. You’ll know when you hear it! :slight_smile:

In the “Pad Edit” Tab… you can do all your ASDR stuff, Pan, FX, Reverse etc… You can also Layer up to 8 sounds on each Pad. Good for all sorts of stuff!!

The “Graphs” Tabs lets you draw in glitchy repeats and change pitch… so you could do a bassline in it no probs.

Loading samples into it - you can load “Kits” onto all the Pads on the bottom left hand screen… But to get a one shot on a pad, you’ll need to go into “Pads”.

Finally, if you do make a tune you like etc… make sure to hit “save as” on the front of the GUI & save the Guru settings & samples into your project folder… and hit save if you make any additions / changes.

Guru only links to the files… so if you dont save the files into your project folders & you move the samples or they get lost… you’re in trouble. I found that out when I was updating my computers OS… :pinch:

Just had a look @ the CM edition of it here on my Laptop. Very little difference between the original. Best bit of Free Stuff since Voxengo Span! :wink:

Enjoy!

Never heard of this before but gonna give it a blast.

Cheers for the tips.

Well I would have installed but can not launch the License manager - bah

Ahh should have read your post fully ICN :hehe:

I know… Thought my Post was a bit excessive @ the time tbh… but its everything most could need… & I’m a nice Guy who was away from Computerland for the night.

Couldnt leave ya hangin! :smiley:

[quote]ICN (02/08/2010)[hr]I know… Thought my Post was a bit excessive @ the time tbh… but its everything most could need… & I’m a nice Guy who was away from Computerland for the night.

Couldnt leave ya hangin! :D[/quote]

Well it would not be hard to find ya - I mean that can’t be many cross -dressing clubs in your area :stuck_out_tongue:

Yup…  :Whistling:

Now the authorisation server seems to be down - bah

…and ICN remember to send back my girdle :slight_smile:

Is it actually down? Like proper error messages?

Thats a shame… :pinch:

There are a couple of posts here about CM Guru. Nothing about your issue, but if you post there it seems to be the place to do it at the moment.

I had a profile with them already… you could try authorising being logged in?

[quote]ICN (02/08/2010)[hr]Is it actually down? Like proper error messages?

Thats a shame… :pinch:

There are a couple of posts here about CM Guru. Nothing about your issue, but if you post there it seems to be the place to do it at the moment.

I had a profile with them already… you could try authorising being logged in?[/quote]

Done that already - maybe everyone is trying atm - will try again tomorrow

What about an Offline Auth?

Probably same difference… :hehe:

If you wish to authorize from a different computer:

1. Click “Authorize from another computer”
2. This generates a .authrequest file on your desktop.
3. Take that file to your online computer.
4. Visit www.fxpansion.com/authorize
5. Use your .authrequest file with the online form.
6. This gives you an auth file.
7. Take the auth file back to your computer.
8. In license manager choose “import an existing authorization”
9. Select your auth file that you received from our website

Thanks ICN but tried that as well - not a great ad for them IMO