How Much Money Do You Make Of A Beatport Number 1?

I would be interested in knowing the credentials a label needs to have to be able to sell its stuff on beatport.nbsp; Not that I have any ambition to start up a label.nbsp; It’s just that I’ve been hearing different stories about this.nbsp; One says almost anyone can start up a label and start selling, and another one says it’s notoriously difficult to get up on Beatport.nbsp; So as a hobby-producer I’m interested in knowing what standards are used to allow labels to release on beatport (for instance: is there a certain level of quality needednbsp;in the label’snbsp;releases?nbsp; Is there a minimum number of releases per month or per year?nbsp; Maybe it’s a just a mather of accounting numbers (revenues from past sales etc.) Could be many other things I couldn’t even come up with).nbsp; PJust for myself to know if (besides a bigger potential reach of a release) it’s more interesting to chose a label that’s represented on Beatport or it doesn’t mean anything for any of us.nbsp; In other words is ‘releasing on beatport’ possibly a “quality label”?nbsp; (Of course they’re going to say yes to that)nbsp;But more specifically: why?

There are quite a few aggregaters which enable you to get your music on beatport, itunes, spotify etc.br
br

http://www.dancephonic.com/beatportdirect.html

So as I understand it, it’s just a moneything in which companies have found a way of making a living out of it by doing it in bulknbsp;:P/PPAnother thing I was wondering about beatport: What’s thenbsp;thing withnbsp;the “exclusive” releases?nbsp; In what way is it beneficial for the label or distributor? What’s the catch?nbsp; There has to be a way in which it gives beatport some extra revenue because otherwise they wouldn’t ask for exclusivity.nbsp; Is this extra number of sales so significant?nbsp; Does any of this money flow back to the labels?nbsp; What’s the incentive they get from beatport to grant them this exclusivity?nbsp; Or is it part of a deal between the above mentioned distributing websites to give beatport the chance to be first and does the money stay there?

Would imagine it’s just a marketing and promotional tool for Beatport.br
br
I would hazard a guess that Beatport don’t particularly give a **** about any of the artists, so they couldn’t care less if they lose sales.br
br
If Beatport have exclusive tracks, it looks good for them, and is another tool they have in their armoury to try and convince people to buy their tracks from them, rather than any of their competitors.br
br

Interesting - just checked out those distribution services that you listed Phil - so basically pretty much anyone can get their music on Beatport now then, without the overall quality of the music even being a consideration? I didn’t see anything that mentioned that the tracks were vetted for quality first?br
br
Has anyone used these distribution companies in the past- what have people experiences been of this?

[quote]davidmclean (22/03/2013)[hr]Interesting - just checked out those distribution services that you listed Phil - so basically pretty much anyone can get their music on Beatport now then, without the overall quality of the music even being a consideration? I didn’t see anything that mentioned that the tracks were vetted for quality first?br
br
Has anyone used these distribution companies in the past- what have people experiences been of this?[/quote]br
As someone who listens to the new releases at least once a week in a few genres on beatport I can tell you that quite a few have a very low standard of quality. Or it’s just my ear that doesn’t want to hear junky songs.

No i notice the same thing!

Hey all!br
came across your forum doing a general search on this topic so I thought join.br
after a decade in the family wilderness ive got back into making tunes.br
i just put a couple on junodownloadbr
https://soundcloud.com/skodaboybr
not sold one yet.doesnt seem to be a way of checking if any oine has listened tro them eitherbr
id been thinking the same how to get people to listen to a track when so many are released any given weekbr
plenty might love your track if they only get to here itbr
i reckon lots just go straight to the top 10 first to buy tracks making it harder to crack yourselfbr
bought a copy myself to check sales are working which got me to 123 in the techhouse chart!br
think of it as advertising spend $100 or more on your own track to get up the charts so more listen to it and get your money back and hopefully pay for mastering so you break evenbr
as you guys have mentioned why not form a syndicate to buy each others tracks when you release them.if those interested all thew say $10 at a track mighjt be enough to get high enough so you most buyers will listen to it along with everthing else in the top 20 of that genre.br
you need interest/sales in the first week or two to catch dj’s skimming the new releasesbr
what say you?

I was speaking to a fella the other day who’s tune was top of the Trance chart for a few weeks last month and he’s made about £1500, of which half goes to the label, so money to him, 750 quid. Of course it’s probably still selling a few copies here and there.

It’s nice that you can still make a bit of money out of your music if you do tracks that are good enough!

I know of a local lad, leewise, that released a track a while ago. Anyway I dont know what he made off the track, but he got whipped out to miami to become a ghost producer because of its success! br